iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Disaster Strikes----Dead Truck

Started by dail_h, March 17, 2008, 04:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

Delayed leaving for WV until yesterday because of weather. Left home at about 6:30. Truck overheated at Petersburg VA. Added water,removed thermostst. I was loaded pretty heavy,all my normal stuff plus tractor and trailer. Poor 'ole truck,six cylinder with 275,000 mi.,just couldn't take no more--head gasket gave up,truck dead at Blackstone VA. Called a friend to come rescue me and the dog. Got home after midnight.
   'Least life ain't dull.Ain't whinnin,just don't know what's next
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Haytrader

Just sign on the dotted line and drive away a new one.
Then, you will be motivated.
Haytrader

olyman

dotted line--OUCH!!!!!!!!!!   change the engine and go again----

Dave Shepard

Can you get away with a new head gasket, or do you have to replace the motor? That's not a great way to start an adventure. The journey of a thousand steps start with a flat tire. :-\

I wouldn't mind a new truck, but I couldn't find a salesman that would let me within a mile of a dotted line. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dail_h

Estimate for a head job ,$800 to $1200 for an engine with 270,000 miles don't seem to make sense to me. Rebuilt engine $1200 to $1500 + changeing. Looking for good used motor.
   I was rescued by a really nice lady,wouldn't leave me by the side of the road. Insisted that I take the truck to her farm. Saftely off the road,made numerous calls for me,fed me homemade corned beef and cabbage,loveingly welcomed my silly dog,even let her chase the stupid cows!!!! Going to leave the truck ,and tractor there for a coupla weeks,and take the jittney ta WV,gotta go ta work for real now.
   As for signing on the dotted line,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (A) don't want to, (B) ain't nobody gonna let me even sit in a new truck,let alone leave the lot.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Haytrader

::)

dial

Ya surely got the old one depreciated out.

;)
Haytrader

zopi

gotta 89 f-250 ya can have fer a grand...it's only got 216,000 on it...<G>
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

logwalker

Sounds like you met the real Good Samaritan. There are not so many of those good people as there used to be. You can't say you didn't get your miles out of the old truck, eh? I got a crate motor from chevy a couple years ago for $1200. Brand new 350 v-8. Can't beat them. Good luck, Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

olyman

dail h. go to www.car-part.com  to search for a good used engine--have had excellent results on there-----

SeeSaw

Dail H,

I was going to ask what kind of truck for the same reason that Logwalker mentioned.  If it's GM you can't beat the cost of new crate motors.  They're getting cheaper all the time it seems like.  When you figure the cost of new crate motor, $1200-$1500, then minus out all of the problems you won't have,,, It's a pretty good deal.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

roger 4400

You were rescued by a very nice lady that took you to her home and offered you a nice lunch???????????????????? Watch out........a divorce cost a lot more than a new truck.....Hahaha.........good luck with your truck.           Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Thank You Sponsors!