iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Honey Locust Bench

Started by Magicman, June 12, 2019, 09:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I put a teaser over on the ID board, Lumber Species? in Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.  but my build and questions are here. 

This is when I sawed the live edge slabs:  Whatcha Sawin' ??? in Sawmills and Milling

The bench and stretcher are easy but what I am uneasy about is the cookie back boards.  That end grain is gonna suck up any stain like a sponge and be very dark and of course they are already much darker than the bench seat and stretcher.  Personally I like the color as it is but "She" wants it darker.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mike W

have you tried wetting the cookies to represent what they would look like when finished with a clear coat?  might give you some flex in a middle of the ground acceptance to the finished appearance, once the stain is applied as we all know its game over to go back.  albeit, being married myself for 30 years the ole saying always rings true "happy wife, happy life"  those look great by the way, look forward to the finished product photos that I'm sure to come.

WDH

Pure 100% tung oil will darken it naturally. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

OK, I see pure Tung Oil and Dark Tung Oil??   LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

A wash coat or conditioner on end grain is the typical way to keep end grain from soaking up too much stain, if you can't get out of staining that pretty elm.

doc henderson

@Magicman I have made a few items with locust, and I just use my spar varnish.  

table for my wife by the pool

mailbox stand (unfinished wood was just to brace it in the concrete)

locust bench for my buddy Jim that I brew beer with.  all done with spar urethan, no stain or sanding sealer.  the wood is light enough that I did not feel the end grain stood out.  all a matter of personal preference.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

Regular tung oil will darken the wood some, the dark tung oil even more.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

123maxbars

@doc henderson 
Nice work there, how has that mail box held up outside with the spar varnish? I have a gate to build out of White Oak and am planning on using Marine Spar Varnish so it keeps its color, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

doc henderson

It has been untouched in terms of maintenance for about 5 years.  the numbers were routed in and painted black, then filled with epoxy, and some moisture got in behind the epoxy and clouded it up a bit.  i will go get a pic.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Most of the degrade is from where I got "creative" like the house number.  had I paid closer attention I should have sanded a bit and reapplied.  the plain wood areas have held up well.  It is in almost full sun and daily sprinklers in the spring through fall.  @123maxbars 

doc henderson

The chip on the mailbox wood near the back in the second pic is where I spun the mower and hit it with the grass catcher.  Here are pics of a picnic table out year round, and a pool side table that does go under a cantilevered area of our top floor tri-level.

applied 2 or 3 years ago.  had been painted, took it apart and planed the wood, finished natural with minwax spar urethane.  A re-coat is on my sons list for summer chores.

here it is freshly coated a few years back.  it is on my sons list as well.  

doc henderson

the little table is cool as the wood just sets in the top angle iron frame, and i just pop out the wood to refinish or replace.  nice design, someone gave us the frame.

Magicman

I will have to stain this because she wants a brown color.  I'll just do what I gotta do.

OffGrid973

Epoxy the gaps in those cookies to keep them from checking, then if you can sell the idea of Marine Varnish to protect the UV and waterproof it (lemonade rings) you can save the beauty.  Otherwise switch the wood and tell her you can paint it :)   If you decide to stain please take pics of the decision panel, would love to see what different tints produce.

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Magicman

My project in on the back burner for now due to saw milling demands.  I need to develop a good plan for a part time sawing operation.  ;D

WDH

Offgrid, that is spectacular!

Thank You Sponsors!