iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mushroom identification

Started by Geoff, September 13, 2002, 01:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Hello,

My name is Chris Malley.  I am a grade 10 student at Elements, an environmental education program.

We were cutting trails in a cedar bush, and I was raking and we found this mushroom.  We are interested in it and would like to identify it.  Can you tell us what it is?

Thank you,

Chris

Bro. Noble

Chris,
Are you sure that's not a Gall that has fallen from a tree limb? If it was laying loose and not attached to anything I'll bet it is.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

Thats what it looks like to me too, but maybe its just the angle of the picture.

Could this be it?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tillaway

If it is a mushroom, then it might be a truffle.  There are allot of species of them.  Raking around is how you find them if the squirrels and deer don't get there first.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

CHARLIE

Chris, is it shaped like a ball or is the picture just showing the top of it? :P
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Geoff

Guys,

Thank you for writing me back.

It is round, approximately 2.5 cm in diameter, and when I poked it, a red liquid came out of it.  The shell is hard, and has a series of reddish veins running along the outside.  The skin is brown.  I found it unattached on the ground.

I looked through books, and did a mushroom identification, but couldn't find anything that matched it.

Thanks,

Chris

Jeff

When you say the shell is hard, do you mean kinda like a stiff paper hard? If so it sounds even more to be lika a Gall
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

I remember when I was a boy in Florida their was a fungus we called a Puffball.   It was a gray leathery ball on a short stem and it had a rust red powder inside (spores) if I remember correctly.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!