iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trying out a Dyna processor

Started by barbender, November 03, 2017, 01:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I rented a Dyna SC-14 processor for a few days to get my mountains of wood caught up. It has a 37 hp Kohler, and it's doing pretty well with the nasty wood I'm feeding it. It does struggle to feed crooked wood on the conveyor chain, and crooked cuts from those same crooked logs want to climb out of the split chamber. If it was mine some modifications would be in order😊 I've only put about 4 cords of mixed hardwoods through it, I think it would do a solid 2 cords an hour but I'm loading it myself with my skid steer, and having to trim up some of my wood when I pull it out of the piles as well. If I have one other complaint thus far it would be that the live deck doesn't hold much, not a full cord of 8' wood. Not a big deal if someone is feeding you all say, but working by yourself every time you get a rythym going it's time to stop and load the deck again. Overall a very nice machine, I'll have a hard time bringing it back😊
Too many irons in the fire

Stoneyacrefarm

Keep me posted on your progress with it.
I'm close to getting the same model with a diesel in it.
A few too many projects going right now to pull the trigger but it will be soon.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

barbender

The Kohler seems to have plenty of power. I see they offer it with a Cat 34 hp diesel? I'd be leery of one of those, the small Cat "perkapillars" don't have a very good reputation.

Pclem

I've got the sc16 and like it. I used to have the blockbuster 14-12. It was a good machine too, but slower than this one. I'm not sure there is a remedy for crooked wood other than multiteks grapple feed. That's the big problem with those machines, finding nice enough wood to put through. If you get the dyna, I think you'll be happy. They're a good company with good service. Good luck.
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Gearbox

You better get busy I may run out and have to burn propane or buy from you . I can't keep up . Another load out today . Just need to find time to get in the woods . Call me if you need an operator for your skidsteer for a day .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

barbender

Well, I probably put about 20 cords through the Dyna. Overall, I'd say a very solid machine, well constructed and thought out for the most part. A few things I would change very quickly if I owned one- The face of the splitter ram has what looks like round rivet heads to jeep the wood from sliding off it. They don't work, it needs something with some bite. Keep in mind, thus is a 2014 model, some of this stuff may be different now.
     The feed chain has cleats on it to grab the wood, I don't think they are nearly tall enough. Bumpy woodf will often bridge in the feed trough, and the short cleats don't make contact.
     The live deck chain doesn't have anything for cleats, etc. So nothing bites the wood. I would add cleats. Also, when the live deck is set up, wood can fall off of the back, it would be nice to have some short uprights just to keep logs from rolling off, this would also enable you to load more wood on the deck.
     The item that probably caused the most irritation, it the way the infeed comes into the sawbox/splitter chamber. The feed chain wraps around the drive sprocket, about 6" back from where the saw bar comes down. To keep the wood from falling off the feed, they have a piece of round stock going across to stabilize the end of the log. The problem is, it commonly catches bumps and knots and causes the log to not feed, and then you either have to turn the log or get the end lifted so it can feed over this. It also doesn't do a very good job of keeping the log from falling into the splitter chamber when you're getting to you last cut. Not cool at all when a 14" diameter, 34" block of oak falls into the splitter chamber before you can clamp it👎 That issue, and the log infeed were the 2 things that I did the most fighting with. I was very pleased with the power of the barsaw, and the harvester chain it runs stays sharp way longer than regular chainsaw chain. The splitter also had really good power. How about 8 out of 10, overall well pleased with the performance if thus machine. FWIW, to my eye the Brute Force machines look like a pretty close copy of the Dynas, one of the owners told me at a show that they were one of the biggest Dyna dealers, then they started building their own. Once I had a good look at this Dyna, and was able to compare them, I don't think there's much difference other than paint color😊

hedgerow

Barbender
Clamping and feeding  not perfect logs is the same problem I have with my homebuilt processor I wish when I built it I would have made a shuttle grapple for feeding and clamps the logs as in my area we don't have a lot of what I call pole wood. Mine may have a shuttle grapple installed on it before the winter is over . I cut a lot of 24 inch locust and like you say it is no fun pulling a 24 by 32 piece out of the splitting chamber.   

Ivan49

Quote from: barbender on November 17, 2017, 02:08:06 AM
Well, I probably put about 20 cords through the Dyna. Overall, I'd say a very solid machine, well constructed and thought out for the most part. A few things I would change very quickly if I owned one- The face of the splitter ram has what looks like round rivet heads to jeep the wood from sliding off it. They don't work, it needs something with some bite. Keep in mind, thus is a 2014 model, some of this stuff may be different now.
     The feed chain has cleats on it to grab the wood, I don't think they are nearly tall enough. Bumpy woodf will often bridge in the feed trough, and the short cleats don't make contact.
     The live deck chain doesn't have anything for cleats, etc. So nothing bites the wood. I would add cleats. Also, when the live deck is set up, wood can fall off of the back, it would be nice to have some short uprights just to keep logs from rolling off, this would also enable you to load more wood on the deck.
     The item that probably caused the most irritation, it the way the infeed comes into the sawbox/splitter chamber. The feed chain wraps around the drive sprocket, about 6" back from where the saw bar comes down. To keep the wood from falling off the feed, they have a piece of round stock going across to stabilize the end of the log. The problem is, it commonly catches bumps and knots and causes the log to not feed, and then you either have to turn the log or get the end lifted so it can feed over this. It also doesn't do a very good job of keeping the log from falling into the splitter chamber when you're getting to you last cut. Not cool at all when a 14" diameter, 34" block of oak falls into the splitter chamber before you can clamp it👎 That issue, and the log infeed were the 2 things that I did the most fighting with. I was very pleased with the power of the barsaw, and the harvester chain it runs stays sharp way longer than regular chainsaw chain. The splitter also had really good power. How about 8 out of 10, overall well pleased with the performance if thus machine. FWIW, to my eye the Brute Force machines look like a pretty close copy of the Dynas, one of the owners told me at a show that they were one of the biggest Dyna dealers, then they started building their own. Once I had a good look at this Dyna, and was able to compare them, I don't think there's much difference other than paint color😊

These machines are made about 40 miles south of me. I n 2014 I went to the factory and met the owner who showed me their machines. There is or was another set of feed chains that come with for the live deck that has a post about 8 to 10 inches tall on them. He said at that time if the customer wanted them they would send them with the machine. What this set is for is loading the deck without have a loader to do it. The place is a small place but I was very impressed with their parts inventory

barbender

Before I ran this machine, I thought those self loader feed chains would be nice, but now I can't see using one of these without some kind of loader. You'd spend all off your time getting the log on the machine,

Ivan49

Quote from: barbender on November 17, 2017, 09:46:32 PM
Before I ran this machine, I thought those self loader feed chains would be nice, but now I can't see using one of these without some kind of loader. You'd spend all off your time getting the log on the machine,

My point was it could be used in an upright position with a loader. Just reverse the up rights to the start position and it will keep the wood from falling off. What you said about crooked wood was my biggest concern. He ran a really crooked cherry log thru and it went fine but it was a smaller chunk.

barbender

Gotcha, Ivan. It wouldn't be a big deal at all to add some type of stakes, I was thinking about sticking some saplings into the live deck support legs, I just never got around to it😊

Gearbox

After seeing Brute Force at the TPA show . I think he may be the first one to try a angled deck like on my BT 6870 . Pile on a half cord and go . It was something I thought about for a long time to figure out [GOD talked to me one Sunday morning when I should have paying attention to the sermon ] NO kidding this happened .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

logman81

Actually if you look closer barbender the two brands dyna and brute force are alot different. I compaired both side by side at a expo and they may look somewhat similar i can tell you they are not. The brute force is built with much heavier steel and they have a round log troth which feeds crooked wood better. And they have a last piece log holder so it doesn't tip into the splitter chamber.  They have a piston saw motot all so which is a much better setup. They have alot more options for their  machines compaired to dyna. When its time for me to buy one its hands down going to be brute force!
Precision Firewood & Logging

Corley5

Dyna, Block Buster, Brute Force, Built Rite, Multi Tech, etc. I've looked at them all, I've seen them all make firewood and as far as I'm concerned there's not much difference overall but it's the little things that count.  It's a matter of user preference, experience and knowing what you want.  There are reasons that I won't consider anything other than a Block Buster that come from just that.  The K.I.S.S. Principle plays a big part. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

OH logger

Quote from: Corley5 on November 23, 2017, 11:36:34 AM
  Dyna, Block Buster, Brute Force, Built Rite, Multi Tech, etc. I've looked at them all, I've seen them all make firewood and as far as I'm concerned there's not much difference overall but it's the little things that count.  It's a matter of user preference, experience and knowing what you want.  There are reasons that I won't consider anything other than a Block Buster that come from just that.  The K.I.S.S. Principle plays a big part. 

and why did u arrive at blockbuster??
john

Corley5

They oil the chain through the hydraulic system with hydraulic oil.  No buying bar and chain oil and one less system for something to go wrong ;) ;D     

OH logger

I assume it does a good enough job lubing the bar?? not interrogating I'm just always curious as to why people choose the machines they do so when I buy one i'll maybe have a good idea on which one to get. as of right now it would be a bells or blockbuster. the one thing I HATE about the 2 biggest blockbusters is that the block after cut ROLLS down a slide to the splitting chamber. it seems to me any knot or imperfection and the block is all messed up by the time it gets to where it needs to go. they did tell me at this years bunyan show that they make them in a direct drop now too BUT I think he said the live deck is shorter then and holds less logs  :(.   that's a big downside to me. 
john

Corley5

I get 500 to 600 16" face cords on a bar running cheap TSC tractor hydraulic fluid.  I may have gotten slightly better bar life when the machine was newer, hadn't developed any leaks and I still ran the ATF that Block Buster ships the machines with.  The TSC oil is cheaper than buying bar oil.  I see at least one of the other manufacturers recommends running winter bar oil year round  :-\
  I've been slightly interested in the off set models but would want a slide to bypass the splitter for clients that want unsplit wood for OWBs.    I don't see the need for joystick controls either ;) ;D  Just my preference ;D and experience after putting almost 6,000 hours on my machine with the original valve bank still working fine with no service issues.  The splitter valve has been resealed several times.  Piston pumps and motors are also more sensitive to contaminants and cost more to replace than gear models.  I'm on my second saw motor but still have the original pump.
  I've got my eye on the Block Buster 14-12 Plus as a replacement for my 12 year old 14-12.  Whether I upgrade the processer or not my plan is to set up under a roof with a longer live deck that will hold 2 pulp cords plus.  Used live decks can be had fairly reasonably.  There's a selection of them on sawmill exchange right now  8) 8)  As long as I can process and deliver 10 face cords a day in a reasonable amount of time I'm happy.  I can do it now but would like to shave a couple hours off.  A slightly higher capacity machine than I've got now and a live deck that will hold enough wood to run a five face cord load without stopping to reload will make a considerable difference.  Just a bigger live deck will go a long way to improving production time.  Getting on and off the Bobcat isn't fun.  Not that it ever was I guess but it's really not now  :(

Stoneyacrefarm

Corley.
Thanks for the great insight.
One factor that is still important is cost.
How different are the prices between the machines you are comparing?
I've been looking at the Dyna products do to cost.
Price wise they seem to be one of the best bang for buck.
Curious to hear your thoughts.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Corley5

$28,500.00 for the 14-12 Block Buster Plus.

glassman_48

Quote from: logman81 on November 23, 2017, 08:27:59 AM
Actually if you look closer barbender the two brands dyna and brute force are alot different. I compaired both side by side at a expo and they may look somewhat similar i can tell you they are not. The brute force is built with much heavier steel and they have a round log troth which feeds crooked wood better. And they have a last piece log holder so it doesn't tip into the splitter chamber.  They have a piston saw motot all so which is a much better setup. They have alot more options for their  machines compaired to dyna. When its time for me to buy one its hands down going to be brute force!
Logman, thank you for your review on brute force, the hydraulic log holder and piston saw motor are 2 of our latest innovations, we also now have a wedge system that can be changed out in about 10 seconds, its pretty brilliant, we also set our log holding arm several inches back away from the log trough so crooked logs will not hit it as easily and on our model 18 and larger our conveyors swivel 3' side to side.  Both of our smallest models now have the deck that will sit upright or on an angle also.  GAB is thinking of purchasing a machine from me, so there will be one in Vermont if he does so guys can go look at it.  Brute force just rated our model 18-24 with 37 hp kohler and piston saw motor at 3 to 4 pulp cords per hour, I cannot verify yet, I just got one in and its definitely faster with the piston saw motor. 

Stoneyacrefarm

Quote from: Corley5 on December 02, 2017, 10:40:59 PM
$28,500.00 for the 14-12 Block Buster Plus.
Not a bad price.
In the ballpark of the Dyna I was looking at.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

logman81

Your very welcome glassman48 in my opinion they are one of best machines out there. Very innovative in the features they have and you can tell the deference in quality. When im ready for a processor brute force will definitely be my choice.
Precision Firewood & Logging

1countryboy

I watched a Blockbuster 14-12 pto at the P. Bunyon show 7 years ago.   I was impressed with the simple design and the machine looked well built.  Mine arrived middle of feb in an ice storm.  I use a quick hitch 3pt on a 74 hp MM 670 tractor.  Tractor will pick up the processor and i drive it 6 miles between farms.  Never unhook it.   Machine is 16 ft wide going down the road......same as a 15 ft no till drill.   Machine is rated at 1 cord per hour.  I keep the machine at capacity and run 2 cord an hour.   Never broke any parts other than replace the saw chains and blade.  All normal wear for a chain saw.   The live deck.   no need for spikes on the deck.  Never had a problem.  Level the machine/ use your head when u cut logs for the machine.   Straighter is better and cut all knots off.  Just common sense.   Logs don t roll off the back.....the legs are adjustable and i make sure they stick up 4-6 inches and catch everything.   I cut logs for the processor either 10-12 feet long or 20=24 feet long and haul them on my log trailer and dump truck to my central processing area.  My processor sits over a loading dock lined with 3 high one ton cement blocks.  When i need wood for the heatmore its loaded out with either my 580 backhoe or my AC 840 articuled loader.   If you look at the Blockbuster which has been made for YEARS.  The blue machine is almost identical........controls were moved.  Not as convenient if u need to step around and adjust a cut log.  The dimples on the splitter work.  When u are sawing its important to be sure its a straight cut.   Again just like the old splitters.   There is a learning curve (like everything else).  I can load the deck full.  Plus one in the conveyer then saw and split.   While the log is splitting i advance the conveyer and have the chain moving to the wood.   When the splitter backs off to ready position my chain is cutting thru the new log.  I try to keep the machine in constant motion. 

Tops that are crooked?   That's what tree tops are after being timbered.   What color do u like?   Personal preference, but i could never have one of those blue machines from that state up north..(Buckeye for ever)....Compare the machines and see how little difference there is.   OH, and Blockbuster has been around lots longer.

Seriously, all the machines are good.  They are all expensive.   What do u need it for and what s your price tolerence.

Mine fits.   Am to old to cut like I used to with a chain saw and truck or my buzz saw.  I have run hundreds of cords of wood thru the processor in the winter months and zero repairs to the unit.   Only thing i ever did was repaint it.   The old AC orange they used didn t have hardner in it and faded just like the Wood Mizer does.   

Now i am going out......its 10 degrees and a pile of logs are waiting to be cut for the Heatmore.   Be glad to answer any questions.   

I don t have any pixs posted, but my email is on the Norwood forum site under 1countryboy. 

Just reread my post and will add this.  Blockbuster makes the 14-12 with a wider throat now.  That i would do if they had it back when. 

Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

1countryboy

Looking thru all the posts on wood processors.  Over the last 7 years since i bought my Blockbuster 14-12 more and more venders are selling multiple choices of units.   Prices are expensive.   Lots of factors to consider when u buy.  Price, how much do u really use the unit and what type of help do you have.   We all have done the truck and chainsaw method in the woods with a pickup.  That gets harder the older you get. 

When my brother and i process.  It starts when we drag the timbered tops out of the woods and size them.  Lot like the timber cutters.   Everything is sized to 12 or 24 foot lengths and all knots are cut off in the woods.  I try NOT to have crooked stuff.  It gets cut immediately to firewood size and loaded.  Then the nice sized are loaded on truck and trailer.  When i unload at my processing site i stack and then i can work alone or with a friend processing.  I will NOT let anybody else load the processor.  The Blockbuster is heavy and well built.   If u work yourself it is a load, stop, process.   Much faster than a chain saw, BUT, a second guy improves efficiency to about 90/95 percent.   My processor never stops when a second guy is running the controls.  Equals 2+ cords of wood per hour in my pit and ready to load out with front loader and to my furnace.   

Crooks stuff that gets to the processor.   Yes, a pain, but beats using a chain saw.  One post mentioned last cut and dropping into the splitter.   Learn to use the clamp and that will NOT happen.   Its the learning curve we all go thru.
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!