iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circle Mill Question

Started by homesteader1972, September 16, 2009, 11:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

homesteader1972

Hello All,

This is my first post/question, so hello from Ga!

My question is about a circle mill. I want one to cut siding for buildings to give it the rustic look, as well the rest of the lumber. My only experience with a circle mill is with an 00 Frick. I am contemplating a Foley Belsaw on all steel with an insertable tooth blade. Will the Foley hold up well over time or will my money be better spent on something like a Frick or Corley?

Thanks much and I welcome all input,
Art
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

Chico

You can make on the circle mill by using a shim  it's a little time consuming but according to how much you want to make
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Ga. bow-man

Art
We cut siding on a Foley belsaw. Check Tripp's thread at

new circle miller pics
« on: June 16, 2009, 10:24:44 PM »

apm

Welcome to the Forum!  I've got a Belsaw on steel and couldn't be happier with it. But, then again, I'm not trying to make a living with it either. I used to have a #2 Meadows, which is very similar to the Frick. It's much, much heavier duty. For big logs and big production, the Frick is going to be a better choice than the Belsaw. But with the Frick also comes the need for more help, higher maintenance cost, more power, heavier foundation, etc.

The Belsaw is pretty much limited to logs less than 14 feet long and no larger than 22-24" diameter. If you've got the right headsaw, they do run well on limited power. Working alone you can be pretty productive and with one helper, very productive. A lot of Belsaws over the years have turned out a lot of lumber for occassional users and hobbyists. A OO Frick is more of an investment. Even if you buy it cheap, which is possible these days, there's one heck of an undertaking in getting it set up and productive. A Belsaw on steel could be set up in a good full day and making lumber the next. I got my Belsaw, new in about 1986 or 87 and have sawed a lot of wood. Can't remember spending anything more than pocket change on repairs. Not much on a Belsaw you can't fix or change with hardware store parts. If you had some kind of accident and broke something major, Timberking still has a pretty good supply of parts.

There's a few pictures in my gallery of the Belsaw. I second the advice to check out Tripp's operation. Ron R. may chime in here, as he's just finished setting one up. Several others on the forum as well.

Good luck,

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Tripp

Art,

My only experience sawing is with a belsaw. They are very simple and dependable machines. Once setup right they are a joy to operate. They do take some tinkering now and then but when sawing within there limits they perform well. I believe with any circle mill you need to be somewhat of a jack of all trades. They will test your skills to get them up and running not to mention making improvements on your setup. I don't think you can go wrong with either mill it just depends on your intended end goal.

What part of Ga. are you from?

Tripp

mcfcfan

Hi there and welcome to the forum,
Have you considered a Peterson swingblade circle mill, check out the web site far left.
They have an attachment to cut siding (weatherboard) and it is easy to use at a very reasonable cost, I have  even known them to include it with your purchase on occassions.
Good luck with your research.
Lee
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

bandmiller2

Art,it depends how deep you want to get in,a Belsaw will certinly do what you want.A regular circular mill is like a mini industrial site,requireing foundations and setup.If you have the room,and desire, the Corley or frick will allow you to do large long and heavy and last just short of forever.Usally you can get the big mill for the same or cheaper than the Belsaw.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

and welcome to the forum Homesteader  ;) ;D 8) 8) 8) I take it you have abit of space avalable to you to setup a mill so Id go with a 00 or even somthing like a #1 meadows portable a good one could be had for around the 5k mark  just sett her up on timber cribbing   ;) you will be able to saw anything that comes along unless you konw for sure that your biggest log would be around 2' and 14' max mark if not id go somthing Heavy duty  Itll last a couple of  life time's Mate ;)

There was a post here for a 00 frick thats been sheded for awhile with power plant and saws that the bloke wants 5 or 6k for but in these times price on older gear is pretty flexable  ;)

Apm another Meadows Man  ;) ;D My family was the import agent for the pacific for meadows for about 10 years   ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ron R.

Art, I have to agree with Tripp and apm on this. I think they pretty much covered the Belsaw use and capability. I'm well pleased with mine and it is set up on wood. I really like the ones that are all steel..Check out the galleries as there are a lot of pics that may be of help to you....Best of luck on your search and welcome to the forum............Ron R

homesteader1972

Hello All,

Thanks for all the input, it is a great help. Sorry for the slow reply, we were out of town the past couple of days. I looked over some of the pictures and the Foley's look nice, but obviously not as stout as a Frick. My friend with the Frick says there is a Foley set up in the neighboring town and if possible we will go and look at it today. Optimally, I would like a nice bandmill for lumber and a circle for siding. So a Foley set up well may work out nicely for this.

Thanks, and I welcome any more comments,
Art
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

homesteader1972

Quote from: Tripp on September 16, 2009, 10:31:54 PM
Art,

What part of Ga. are you from?

Tripp

Currently we live outside of Crawfordville. A small town between Atl and Augusta, off I-20. But we are in the process of getting moved to Alabama and should be there permanently in a couple of weeks.

Thanks much,
Art
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

Tripp

Art,

Your location is very close to me. I am just outside of Thomson Ga. You are welcome to stop by if you have the time before the move.

Tripp

Thank You Sponsors!