iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any way to test the market????

Started by bikedude73, September 21, 2009, 08:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikedude73

Anyone have good ideas on testing the local market to see what the potential is for business planning?????? I know one can never know for sure but any rules of thumb so to speak????

Bibbyman

I'm an expert at testing the market.  Been doing it for 15 years now.   ;)

What are you trying to market?  And to whom? 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

fishpharmer

That's the 20-40,000 dollar question.  I have often asked that question myself.  Difficult to test a custom sawing marking without a sufficient mill.

How do you know if there is a custom sawing market at all?  If there is one, is it being filled already by someone that doesn't advertise or visit FF? 

The first step in this process for me goes like this......... Do I need a personal sawmill?                    Yes

Can I justify a nice manufactured mill with all the bells and whistles?                                              No, not for my use alone.

Can I pay for the above mill with a few custom sawing jobs here and there?                              Maybe...Maybe not.

Do I have time to custom saw?                                                                                                 Definitely not.

Should I buy a mill?                                                                                                                   No.

Is this why most mill manufacturers have a 30 day money back guarantee? :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

backwoods sawyer

That is a real good question. However, the answer is not at all simple.
One thing that you can try is to locate as many of the small sawmills in your area and then gas up the car and go and spend some time visiting with each of them. They will give you a feel for what the local market is. While you are at it try to locate any kilns in your area as they will be able to put you in touch with the other sawmills as well as give you a feel for what commercial markets are out there.
I looked around for mills for several months before buying mine and shortly after I started milling I started finding little sawmills all over the place, even milled for a couple of them to get them caught up on there long past due log decks. I hope others will be able to give you a lot more ways then what I can.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Banjo picker

It would also be good to have a handle on more than one market...as markets change...an example--a year ago the cross tie buyers were chomping at the bits....now I can't sell one---I still have a market for pallet material and that helps .   If selling a product ...try to get in with one that has been around for a while ...the pallet mill here has been in business here in one form or another since 1896 I think...They are still working most of the time....Ole money has contacts that keep them going when times are tough, as they are now....

But its gona be hard to test the market without a mill...when people want a product , or some lumber sawed, they probably won't  give you a price of what they will pay and then let you order a mill a get set up....They will want it Now!   ;)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

EmannVB

Try placing an add for custom sawing on Craigslist.  If you generate some replies, there may be a demand.  It's not a 100% solution, but it's free, and will give you an indication.

Here in Virginia Beach, I see an add for custom cut lumber about once a week.  At our place in WV, word has already spread that I have a mill.  I've put exactly ONE log through the mill, yet I've had two calls asking if I can do some sawing.  Pretty bold on their part considering my experience level of 0.01!  :D
2006 TK B20, 2005 JD TLB 110, 2007 JD 4520, Stihl MS 390, Husqy 350, 1970 Homelite C72, Husky 22 ton splitter, Kawasaki Brute Force 750, and a King Ranch F350 to haul it all!

Thank You Sponsors!