iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OWB Heated Dry kiln

Started by barbender, March 30, 2012, 01:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Would it be feasible to build a kiln using an outdoor boiler to provide heat, with a combination of a radiant concrete slab and maybe baseboard, and use an air conditioner coil to pull the moisture out?  I know there are issues in controlling the drying rate, but I'd like to hear some ideas on this.
Too many irons in the fire

wheelinguy

Sounds like a solid idea to me, I stored a bunch of freshly sawn cherry and maple on my radiant slab and I know another woodworker who does.  That alone seems to cut the air drying time substantially, but add in a dehumidifier and i think you could be onto something.  Waste from the shop and from milling to feed the boiler= free heat. ;D

wdncno

There is a guy in Wilberforce, Ontario who runs a planing operation (Hilary's Trim and Flooring) who uses an OWB to run his kiln.  I think he uses radiators and fans, but not positive on that.  Seems to worrk well for him.

Den Socling

You can definitely use an outdoor boiler. Add fans and radiators. Add a control valve for the water and you have a kiln.

red oaks lumber

i run my kiln using my owb for heat.
my chamber holds 15,000 b.ft. i have one 200,000 btu hotwater heat exchanger hanging down from the ceiling that is controled by a termestat . my kiln unit itself is a nyle l 500. i have no problem getting my kiln temp up to 135 deg. even in the winter time, i have not turned the electric heat from the unit itself on for a couple of yrs.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ga_Boy

I ran a kiln for about three years using a Heatmor OWB to hear the kiln.  I used a powered vent fan to exhaust the excess moisture.  Like Den said, you will need a control valve to regulate the temperature.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Thank You Sponsors!