iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Router Sled

Started by Bill Gaiche, December 16, 2016, 08:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

I have a bunch of Cedar and Walnut slabs that I intend to make coffee tables from. The Walnut needed  some serious straightening. The only way I can do this was to was to make a sled. So this is what I came up with and surprisingly it worked real good for me. bg   

br>

FalconFan

Looks great! I have not seen one made from steel yet, usually see them made from mdf. How wide is the slab?

Ljohnsaw

Here is mine I made last year to flatten a 40" x ~80" cedar slab pair.

Worked pretty well.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jemclimber

Those setups look nice.

ljohnsaw,  were did you get that bit?   
lt15

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Jemclimber on December 16, 2016, 09:51:43 AM
Those setups look nice.

ljohnsaw,  were did you get that bit?

I think it was MLCS but I don't see it listed.  you could call them.  My current catalog has a 1½" bottom cleaning bit ($16.95) and 1¼" Dish Cutter bit ($19) with 3/16" rounded edge.  I used a 2¾" (IIRC) as that was a good balance between size and price.  As you go further up in size, the price climbs drastically.  The flat/sharp corner bit I used would leave a very tiny ridge between passes due to the minuscule error in mounting.  It wasn't perfectly level with the tracks.  However, doing the cedar, my random orbit took it off with a quick pass.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

21incher

That is a nice sled. On my list of things I want to build.  How long did it take to flatten that walnut  slab? :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

DelawhereJoe

Wouldn't it be faster and more efficient to make a track like that for a 3.25" electric hand planer...?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Bill Gaiche

FalconFan, its 24" x 44" long. bg

Bill Gaiche

21incher, it took about 30 min. per side. I had bought a 1 1/4" straight bit as the place didn't have exactly what I wanted. I ordered a 1 1/2" flattening bit. That will be all my router will pull. This is just a for fun thing anyway. bg

Bill Gaiche

Delawherejoe. Could be, I don't know. I don't have one of those planes anyway. bg

Peter Drouin

Looks good, But would a power hand planer on a sled work in a ¼ of the time?
I don't know, The only sled I made is for a skillsaw to cut off the ends of slabs and things.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Don P

My experience with a hand planer is they can't eject the long chips generated by cross grain cutting, it clogs every pass or two. If you run up and down the track lengthwise it should work but they don't have much power.

OffGrid973

Just use this idea to come up with a sled that is easy to throw together when needed. Buddy welded up the 12" wide rails for me and then I bought two fence posts from depot since they stay square with weather change and used the workbench which is a full sheet of ply.  Thanks for the idea and hope to test tomorrow when I get the right length screw for the new router plate. 

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Thank You Sponsors!