iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tuning trouble - expert advice?

Started by David B, December 17, 2005, 02:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David B

OK I have two Jonsy 2050s, a Mac 130, and a 395XP. Bar for the XP hasn't gotten here yet, so no chance to fool with tuning it.  On my '88 Mac and my '97 Jonsy when i richen the hi, it burbles like it should and then i lean it to where it sounds right.  The newer '00? 2050 had the stupid plastic thingies on the the screw, and i pulled the screen outta the muffler, and figured I should retune it. I clipped the plastic limiter tabs off with wire cutters, but no matter how much i richen it, it won't burble under throttle. I richened it til it messed up the idel and still doesn't seem to affect the Hi.  What's the deal? Am i retarded?
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

Kevin

You might have bad rings or the exhaust port/muffler might be plugged with carbon.

kenskip1

How about a partially clogged gas filter?
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

Minnesota_boy

If that saw has only one mixture adjustment, you'll never get it retuned to burble.  That screw adjusts the idle mixture only and the saw would have a fixed high speed jet.  If it has two mixture adjustments, make sure you're adjusting the high speed mix.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

macpower

Dave
That screen is the spark arrestor, you may not want to be caught without it. Around here it can get you a fine, I bet CA is the same.
What is the  tach reading? You may be fighting an air leak, cracked fuel line. or sometimes a pinched line will keep it lean. For some reason a plugged filter doesn't seem to effect them the way a pinched line does, but check it too.
Carbon or bad ring will most likely keep the saw from reaching speed.
All the 2050's we see here have the caps on both screws. CA saws may have only one screw like Minnesota-boy said, I've just never seen one. You may just need the added back pressure of the spark screen to make it run right with your carb.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

David B

The saw is almost new...I doubt rings, etc. are worn. Had pretty decent power before I fooled with it. Pulls a 20" bar in decent sized wood. Just don't wanna be burning it up. Will fool with it after the holidays.

tmullen

If you do any cutting in the wildlands you definatly want to put the spark arrester screen back on. In th state of california you are required to have it. Should you start a fire you will not only get a ticket you will be sadled with paying for fire suppression costs.

Fire engine-$300 an hour
Fire Crew-  $400 an hour
Helicopter- $1200 an hour
Air tanker- $2400 an hour
Standard fire response 1 chief, 5 engines, 1 air atack plane, 1 helicopter, 2 air tankers and 2 hand crews
$8,300.00 just to start the dispatch
Spark Arrester $1.00
when in doubt
fire out

leweee

Free advice on Forestryforum....Priceless ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

David B

I only cut in areas where there is no fire danger. I live in a desert (not much to catch fire), and cut a couple lone trees on private land here and there.

Tony_T

From the madsens website:

"Can pro users just remove the plastic limiter caps and run it that way?  The answer is, no.The carburetor will not stay adjusted without the caps in place. Adjustment needles on today's carburetors no longer have springs to hold them in place. Before you get the idea to remove the caps and run it this way, beware."

http://www.madsens1.com/epa.htm

David B

Thanks much! You may have saved me a head/wallet ache.

jokers

Quote from: Tony_T on December 25, 2005, 05:26:43 PM
From the madsens website:

"Can pro users just remove the plastic limiter caps and run it that way?  The answer is, no.The carburetor will not stay adjusted without the caps in place. Adjustment needles on today's carburetors no longer have springs to hold them in place. Before you get the idea to remove the caps and run it this way, beware."

http://www.madsens1.com/epa.htm

That statement is so generic and vague that it is worthless IMO. I have quite a few pro saws from Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, and Jonsered and not one of them won`t hold an adjustment on the carb screws after the limiters are removed or snipped.

FWIW, I like Madsens but I think that their tech pages should be considered a mere jumping off point into knowledge rather than gospel.

Russ

Al_Smith

Quote from: David B on December 17, 2005, 02:09:15 AM
OK I have two Jonsy 2050s, a Mac 130, and a 395XP. Bar for the XP hasn't gotten here yet, so no chance to fool with tuning it.  On my '88 Mac and my '97 Jonsy when i richen the hi, it burbles like it should and then i lean it to where it sounds right.  The newer '00? 2050 had the stupid plastic thingies on the the screw, and i pulled the screen outta the muffler, and figured I should retune it. I clipped the plastic limiter tabs off with wire cutters, but no matter how much i richen it, it won't burble under throttle. I richened it til it messed up the idel and still doesn't seem to affect the Hi.  What's the deal? Am i retarded?
Go to Tillotson,Walbro,or what ever carb you have ,web site.They give straight forward examples of carb tuning,trouble shooting etc.I could go into detail how to tune a carb but they do a much better job thanI.Good luck.

Thank You Sponsors!