iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need a new lawn mower.

Started by hackberry jake, October 01, 2014, 02:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottAR

We got a Gravely zero turn last season and it's night and day difference from a rider.  I've 3-5 yards a week to handle so the time savings is very large.  The only thing a 4 wheel rider has on the zero is it's a bit easier to mow on banks or hills.  They are usually doable with a zero but you have to pay attention and remember the weight is on the downhill tire.   Unless I get a house on a mountainside, I'm not interested in anymore riders. 

It has a 24 hp Kawasaki and we are very pleased.  I'd buy another Gravely in a short minute.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

hackberry jake

Thats pretty much what I have... a house on a mountain side.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

For pretty steep slopes (the kind that you sit up on the edge of the seat to feel more comfortable) I've found the all wheel steer work exceptionally well over the front wheel steer only.

Have had AWS almost 20 years now, and find them very good at tight turns, corners, slopes, and even durability.

When in a spot where traction is questionable, or is lost, turning those big rears in another direction makes a huge difference whether encountering a slippery root or some slippery grass on a side hill.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

Jake, I have a rider I'd give you but I don't think you'd want it. Spent 2 days last week working on the drive mechanics. Would you believe roller chains running on plastic sprockets and a plastic differential. A size drive belt to the blade and stamped sheet metal deck. I've seen cheap, but this one takes cheap to a new level..Oh btw, it was given to me....My advice is to bite the bullet and go buy an industrial grade zero turn, money ahead in the long run..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bill Gaiche

A zero mower is great. If you have a hillside with much slope,be careful. The front end wants to go in the direction of least resistance. I would recommend trying to demo one first to see if it will handle your terrain. bg

Larry

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 02, 2014, 01:19:01 AM
Thats pretty much what I have... a house on a mountain side.

Betcha don't have any rocks either. :D :D

I put three spindles in last month.  One had a cracked mount, one had excessive run out, and the third just because.  I need a rock crusher instead of a mower. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

I have a house on a boulder field.  ;D 
I like Holmes's set up! BUT,there would be some many places I could not get it between the rocks.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!