iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

20hp honda Q

Started by BigJim2185, August 09, 2014, 06:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJim2185

Is anyone running the newer 20hp Honda?  I am getting close to buying a mill and I am likely going with a Thomas Bandsaw mill.  I am a little up in the air between the 8013 and the 8020.  A lot of my planned milling in the near future is fairly large hemlock and ash.  A lot of it will be frozen.  I want the extra power, but the problems many had with the older 20hp honda, particularly on the Norwood and Thomas mills, have me a little trigger shy. 

Trouble running in the cold would really be a kick in the teeth in my climate.  Sounds like there was also some trouble with moisture?  Is anyone running one of the newer Hondas on which these troubles are supposedly fixed? I believe it is the GX630.  How is it holding up?
-Thomas 8020 w/10' extension
-New Holland TC45D w/ fel and farmi jl501

thecfarm

BigJim2185,don't know nothing about the new Honda. But the Thomas mill I do. I have the 6020. That is all I need. I looked at the 80's and ALMOST bought one. But instead I went with the no flex track,4 foot extension and the 20hp Honda. Takes ALOT of power to bring out those big logs to make use of the 80's width. I use to log with a 40hp tractor and no way I could bring out any logs for that 80 beyond 10 foot logs. But I can bring out 16 footors real easy for my 6020. Plus those big ones turn mighty hard. I had a good size white pine on the mill once. I had to get the wife to dog it in for me. I could hold the log,but could not let go of the peavey to dog the log in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BigJim2185

How has yours run?  It seems like you are happy with the 20hp?  Any problems in the cold?  You aren't far from me - if yours runs well, hopefully mine would too :laugh:

thecfarm

I am happy with the motor. Never lacked for power. But I only saw white pine and hemlock of any size that would make it work. Mine is about 10 years old now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

36 coupe

I have a Thomas mill with a 13 hp Honda.The engine never gives trouble.What bad reports have you heard?I suspect that lousy gas would be a problem with any engine.Dont rely on hearsay as the internet is full of bum info.Remember  the fellow who bad mouthed Lennox blades after he ran one backwards.Once the snow falls I leave the mill alone.Frozen logs are not for me.

Bruno of NH

BigJim
I have the Thomas 8013 picked it up in the spring .
I like it so far I want the 4 ft xt. For it.
When I picked it up I said to John of Thomas that I wish I got the 20 hp motor he said I wouldn't be sorry with the 13 hp
I can always up grade.
Jim Bruno of Nh
Make sure the band wheel bearings are torked right when you leave Brooks
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sawguy21

A lot of cold weather problems can be traced to carburetor icing. Disconnect the breather hose from the air filter housing and cover the opening with duct tape, otherwise the hose may freeze up  and prevent the crankcase from venting. I have seen crank seals pushed out and a blown engine.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

BigJim2185

I haven't heard of any problems with the 13hp.  Jon at Thomas was the first one to tell me about cold weather problems with the 20, and when looking it up it seems like it was a pretty consistent problem.  I guess there was an issue with it stalling out when returning to idle after a cut in the cold.  My understanding from what Jon said is that the new 20 has an additional plastic shroud that keeps the intake air warmer or something to that effect...but I'm always skeptical when a problem is fixed by adding a piece of plastic.  Guess with modern plastics I probably shouldn't be, but can't help it.  Jon also pushed the 13hp when I met with him, but the further along I get in selecting the trees I'm going to harvest and the more I look at my schedule (winter milling), I am leaning toward the bigger motor if it is reliable. 

Thanks for all the input guys.  Bruno glad to hear you're liking yours. 

-Jim

losttheplot

The old 20hp is too lean on the idle.
I switched my 13hp Honda for a 20hp (old style) and it is much better on the larger stuff.

I don't have any issues with the motor once it is warmed up, however, we have a pretty mild climate.
The old 20hp can be fixed by reaming out the jet a little.

One of my neighbors has a new 24hp Honda, he has not had it running yet.

Also, because of different ways of measuring horsepower the 20hp is only 18 and the 13 is only 11.7.

Try talking to a couple of small engine repair shops in your area.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

BigJim2185

Quote from: losttheplot on August 10, 2014, 06:39:01 PM
The old 20hp is too lean on the idle.
I switched my 13hp Honda for a 20hp (old style) and it is much better on the larger stuff.

I don't have any issues with the motor once it is warmed up, however, we have a pretty mild climate.
The old 20hp can be fixed by reaming out the jet a little.

That seems to be how everyone feels.  Even if it does have problems, easy to work around or fix.  I've been happy with every honda motor I've run...doesn't seem like anything with a fatal flaw would make it through quality control.   

Quote from: losttheplot on August 10, 2014, 06:39:01 PMAlso, because of different ways of measuring horsepower the 20hp is only 18 and the 13 is only 11.7.

The new one is 20.8hp with 35.6lbs ft of torque.  Just that much more reason to lean in that direction.  Good to hear someone who has run both say there is a clear advantage on larger logs.  Thanks for the input.   

ely

Had my 20 hph since 04 and yes it dies after the cut in cold weather until it warms up. Not a big deal.

WellandportRob

I replaced my GX 620 with a 630 a few months ago and I'm loving it.  Although I never had any problems in the cold with the 620 it was just worn out (8,000hrs).  I think if you go gas you can't beat those little Honda motors.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

BigJim2185

Enough said, thanks guys.  When even the guys who have a little trouble with the motor are running it for a decade, it puts things in pretty clear perspective.  Going with the 20hp.  Thanks again for the input. 

ely

Always understood it was a jetting issue. I never wanted to do the fix on it.

hackberry jake

My 20hp honda had a previous life as a power washer motor. When I got it, it didn't have as much power as the 13hp it replaced. A little CSI work later I found that one of the exhaust valve rocker arms had bounced off of the valve. I simply put it back and tightened it down and it has been running great ever since. My only complaint with it is, it uses more fuel than the 13hp did... but I kinda expected that  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

BigJim2185

Any idea what your fuel consumption is per hour?

hackberry jake

Others have done studies on that area, I haven't put a pencil to it yet, but probably between one and two gallons an hr.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!