iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Failures

Started by Jeff, November 12, 2014, 09:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

There is something I have always wanted to be able to do. I always fail when everyone else around me do it successfully and I am sure, never even considering it is something that might challenge someone else to the point of despair.

I CANT FRY A DECENT EGG FOR THE LIFE OF ME!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

I think the key is not allowing the egg to ever actually touch the skillet.  In "Waffle House" terminology, that means using plenty of butter.  A shot of Pam works before adding your olive oil or whatever you will use.  Sadly animal fat (bacon) burns, so you will usually get some "crispy" edges.

Pat has a very small Teflon skillet that is reserved for eggs and it still gets the Pam/olive oil. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

I posted my thoughts on facebook and got some real good advice from Raider Bill, CHARLIE, and one of my neighbors. Taking a little from each one, I gave it a try again this morning. The real break through was when Charlie used the word patience. With that, and focus, using a lid, and a separate pan I think I did okay this morning for the first time. They tasted good too!

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

drobertson

They look perfect!  but seems like something is missing,, can't quite put my finger on it,,  oh yea! smiley_idea Grits!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

BradMarks

Looks like over medium cooked in suasage grease in a hot pan.  No wonder it tastes good ;D

Grizzly

I use bacon fat in a cast iron skillet over flames. I have a line up for eggs and bacon everytime. Gotta watch the heat real close though. Too much and all you have is scraps like was mentioned. If it's claimed to be healthy it probably don't taste right!! If it's healthy by most oldtimers measure its sure to be good.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

POSTON WIDEHEAD

As long as the yellow is runny, I'm happy. I don't care if the edges are a little crispy, I just like to dip my toast or biscuit in the runny yellow or stir it in with my Grits.

But most of the time, I just take the whole 9 yards and put it in a pile, chop it up and eat it.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LaneC

If they are breaking when you flip them over, don't flip them. My Grandmother would just tilt the pan a little and flip the grease over the top of them until they were done. Once done, scoop them with the spatula and throw em in the plate, throw the grits on top of them and enjoy. Another tip is like someone said, do not use too much heat.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Raider Bill

Quote from: LaneC on November 12, 2014, 05:32:27 PM
If they are breaking when you flip them over, don't flip them. My Grandmother would just tilt the pan a little and flip the grease over the top of them until they were done. Once done, scoop them with the spatula and throw em in the plate, throw the grits on top of them and enjoy. Another tip is like someone said, do not use too much heat.

My Gramma did the same thing minus the grits of course. ;D I did it one time and my lady friend went ballistic. Something about eating healthy, I dunno I'm a terrible listener. :D ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

thecfarm

Low and slow,are the keys words. I am very,very,very fussy with my eggs. I sure would not turn yours down if you put them in front of me.  ;D But I like mine nice and white,if I am cooking. I use some sort of spray,a stainless steel pan,low heat and I am good to go. Over easy and I do mean easy. I cook eggs just about every morning. When I hear the eggs a popping,I know it's time to turn them. Off goes the heat and I flip them over and walk over to the counter and the eggs are done. I even have a special pan to cook my eggs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

QuoteI CANT FRY A DECENT EGG

What skillet are you using?  Cast iron? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

med-low heat is the trick.  turn skillet off when flipped and remove the egg after about 30 seconds.

my favorite breakfast is bacon, fried potato cubes, with an over medium egg chopped up over the potatoes.  I often put the potatoes in the microwave for a few minutes to speed along the cooking.  and lots of pepper on the potatoes!

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

LaneC

That is great, raider bill. I was scared to say that because I figured some people would consider that to be unacceptable(flipping the grease on the egg) :D :D :D :D I am glad to know other folks do it also.
Man makes plans and God smiles

StimW

Sounds like the op's pan is too hot. As stated low/medium heat and let them cook slowly.
I love a good egg sandwich and bought a stainless thingie that I put in the pan and I make a square egg to fit the bread.
I also like Stove top Stuffing with eggs! Yum!
I fried some bacon and then put the eggs in the grease to fry. A girlfriend's 12 year old daughter said OMG! you are frying them in grease! I told her"You know I could legally beat you for saying that?"  (she knew I was kidding)
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Jeff

This may be the first time on here I was referred to as OP. I guess its better than some other things people have said. :)

red oaks lumber

when i finish frying bacon or sausuge i dont take any of the grease out of the pan, gently put the eggs in and watch them float on the grease, flipping is real easy and the flavor is awesome! don't add any of g word stuff :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

StimW

Quote from: Jeff on November 12, 2014, 11:26:19 PM
This may be the first time on here I was referred to as OP. I guess its better than some other things people have said. :)

Not sure about your comments, OP stands for Original Poster, no offense meant.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Jeff

No problem. Just my being a little over sensitive. Probably my feminine side coming out after making such good eggs.

Sawyer697

My eggs are made in Olive oil, drop the eggs in and add a little water, put on the cover, and wamo, sunny side up eggs!
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

BradMarks

OK, an egg of a different face:  Anybody else as fumble fingers as me when it comes to peeling a hard boiled egg?  My wife can hard boil one perfectly, the shell will come off in two pieces for her, I'll take one and I have 20 pieces laying on the counter before I'm half done. ::)

Jeff

BradMarks

Oh man, if my wife sees that, I'll never get out of peeling another egg.  Good thing see doesn't read this forum ;D

goose63

I run cold water over them a few minutes and thy peal just fine mom showed me how when I was just a kid
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

luvmexfood

I love eggs over easy with either toast or bisquits with gravy. Put the eggs right on top of the gravy so it all runs together.

For scrambled eggs you just fry till they look almost done. They will continue to cook after you plate them.

One thing I cannot stand is to crunch down on a piece of egg shell in my eggs. It turns my stomach something awful. Also never have been able to eat eggs sunny side up. Looks to much like a big yellow eye staring at me.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!