iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vertical Upright Trick

Started by Percy, September 05, 2017, 08:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

I'm sure there has been many variations of this before but when I learned this on my LT40, it didnt work nearly as well as the 70. Whenever I have a thick wide flitch that needs edging on the mill and I dont wanna gouge it up forcing it vertical with the clamp, I do this. It works very well. If the curve of the live edge is not favorable for sliding over the uprights, I use the toe boards. Sometimes I have to use the cam bearing housing to keep the flitch from getting too crooked. Helps when they are centered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD0sxv5DWtk
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dan_Shade

I use that trick every time I trim flitches.

I have had a stack of boards fall off the back, though... That kills any productivity gained.

I do wonder if doing that impacts the alignment of the uprights, but I use that trick anyways.

I lift up the stack with the toe rollers, and inch it over the back stops....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

YellowHammer

If you use the same "reverse roll" on a cant, you can flip the slab or flitch onto the loader arms without having to do it by hand.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Chuck White

Used that a few times myself!

It's a little more touchy with the old "flipper" clamp!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Percy

Quote from: Dan_Shade on September 05, 2017, 09:24:48 PM
I use that trick every time I trim flitches.

I have had a stack of boards fall off the back, though... That kills any productivity gained.

I do wonder if doing that impacts the alignment of the uprights, but I use that trick anyways.

I lift up the stack with the toe rollers, and inch it over the back stops....
I have an edger so I dont have to do stacks...That must be cool when it works out. Just the 4x16 stuff thats so hard to get upright by conventional means. My uprights take a beating, specially when turning a big cant or log.

Quote from: YellowHammer on September 05, 2017, 10:49:22 PM
If you use the same "reverse roll" on a cant, you can flip the slab or flitch onto the loader arms without having to do it by hand.
I learned that one by accident....heh
Quote from: Chuck White on September 06, 2017, 07:12:38 AM
Used that a few times myself!

It's a little more touchy with the old "flipper" clamp!
Ya!! My old 40 had the "flipper'. The two plane clamp has spoiled me. You develope some skills with that "flipper".
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!