iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw mill for splitting logs

Started by sandsawmill14, April 19, 2016, 07:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

i've been thinking about building  a csm to spit big logs for the band mill as i have to split alot of them usually 5 or 6 a week i was thinking about using either a 6' or 7' bar and powering it with a 25 hp kohler or something similar  ;D anyone ever done something like this  ??? if so how did it work ??? think thats to much hp  ??? not enough ??? i have never even seen a csm other than videos so what do you guys think ???
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

PineHill4488

Granberg offers both 72 and 84 inch CSM's, no idea of the size saw needed/available to turn such a thing.
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

plowboyswr

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

sandsawmill14

Brad_S.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Brad_S. on April 19, 2016, 11:31:53 PM
Here is a link to give you ideas:

http://www.lmsaws.com/chainsawlog.htm

They also sell bars.

that is what i would like to have i think i will give them a call but i bet i cant afford one those are nice :)

Brad_S.

IIRC, last I checked they were in the $30K range but I think a poor mans version could be fab'd together at a reasonable cost. Easier said than done though!

sandsawmill14

i had it guessed at 25-30k so maybe i will price just the bar and chain :D i think it would be fairly easy to build one that adjusted up and down with a winch and by the hp they were using i think i would be alright with the 25hp motor :) but either way i think it would be worth it as many as i have to split  ??? :) thanks for that link i had never seen one  other than the alaska mills and i dont think that style would work very well :)

Ianab

Have a look at how the Peterson and Lucas dedicated slabbers are put together.

They wont work for your intended use because they don't have the depth of cut to split a large log. But you could construct something with an arch frame rather than the flat frame which would let you fit a D log under the frame.  If you don't need portable, then you can built it as strong as it needs to be.

They generally use a 20 something hp gas engine, so your 25 is sensible, and your idea should work.

Or buy a swing blade to mill to handle those big logs, and just saw them with that?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

terrifictimbersllc

What are the diameter range and lengths of the logs you usually need to split?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sandsawmill14

it would be some what portable but if i can keep it around 5-6000lb that wont be a problem  :)
the logs are in the 40 to 50 dia range with one every now and then closer to 60 and most are 8' long with a few 12 footers. logs that big are so heavy most loggers booms here wont load them any longer than that but when they do bring a 16 footer that big i just cut it to 8' and then saw it  ;D we are buying these logs so i do it how i want to ;D :D :D :D

Ianab

I'd still consider a Swing Blade mill to add to your operation. Quarter saw those big logs no problem, and you get the word out that you are the guy that can handle the oversize logs easily. You might find you get even more.

40-50" logs make swing blade sawyers smile. Plunk the log down and start sawing until it's all gone. Easy.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Brad_S.

Quote from: Ianab on April 20, 2016, 01:26:15 AM
But you could construct something with an arch frame rather than the flat frame which would let you fit a D log under the frame.  If you don't need portable, then you can built it as strong as it needs to be.

At the bottom of the page in this link is an arch framed saw like Ianab is referring to.
http://www.talaricohardwoods.com/logyard.htm

terrifictimbersllc

The new lucas dedicated slabbers have a depth of cut 20".
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!