iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on QS rates? What do you charge

Started by derhntr, April 19, 2016, 10:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derhntr

I have to quote a QS job today. Question is do you folks bill a higher rate for QS vs flat sawn? and if billing on the hour how much more a hour.

Customer told me 10 nice white oak logs.

Job site is 40 miles from my house.

I see other sawyers listing from $60 per hour to starting at $70.

I have sawed some QS with the modified method before so know how to do it but they were for me.

I have a fully hydraulic LT40HDG28 with remote and Accuset.
I know I will charge a $25 move to site fee and $25 each damaged blade as well as a $25 mill relocation fee. Was looking at a $60 per hour milling fee if customer provides 2 off bearers and $70 per hour if I provide 1 off bearer.

Not planing on charging for a site review.

Any insight would be helpful
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

drobertson

What you described sounds good to me, if it works for you I say give it a go,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

Der,

I have a bf rate and an hourly rate. QS and small, crooked logs and such get billed under the hourly rate. I don't see why have a different hourly rate for different types of sawing. Your rates seem reasonable but I don't know what the going rates are in your area. Of course I am not overly concerned what others charge - just what it costs me and what I need to make to make it worthwhile to me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ianab

It doesn't cost you any more per hour to quarter saw, just you don't produce quite as much, per hour.

So the cost per B/F would be greater for the customer. But the cost per hour should be about the same (for both parties)

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dgdrls

How big are the logs?
What is the customers exact expectations

IMHO your helper is worth more than an extra $10/Hr.

best
Dan

drobertson

quarter sawing for sure takes more time,, and study,, flat sawn is pretty easy peasy, just whack and go,, not really, but pretty much when you know, or have an expectation of the logs behavior,  quartering is a bit different for me,, it takes a small bit of study, it just does, then the handling of chunks, so, by the hour makes perfect sense.  More can be made by the bd/ft when sawing out random,,or dim. lumber,, but not qtsw/  this takes a little more time and enjoyment in what's been sawn,, ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

derhntr

I was not able to get with the customer today, my dads surgery took way longer than expected. Left message with customer. The bummer is that I was only 8 miles from the saw site. I just got home at 11pm. I agree my helper is worth more than $10 a hour. Normally he will not take any thing likes being around mill I guess. Or it could be that I would not take any pay when I helped him lay 30 square of shingles.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Thank You Sponsors!