iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4’s vs turbo 7’s

Started by Crossroads, March 13, 2018, 10:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

with 28hp what does the turbo 7 do that the 4* don't do? 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

derhntr

I have never tried the turbo's but really like the 4's 
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Southside

Cut faster.  Personally I prefer them over a 4, just be prepared to work at a decent clip.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tawilson

I've searched and can't get it nailed down. Are the Turbo 7's the same as the 7/39's I have been using?
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

ladylake

Quote from: Southside logger on March 13, 2018, 03:23:54 PM
Cut faster.  Personally I prefer them over a 4, just be prepared to work at a decent clip.  
I only care about cutting straight, the 4° do great. From a few reports the turbo 7 don't cut as straight but I've never used them.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Southside

Quote from: tawilson on March 13, 2018, 04:07:12 PM
I've searched and can't get it nailed down. Are the Turbo 7's the same as the 7/39's I have been using?
Yes the Turbo 7 is the 7/39
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Quote from: ladylake on March 13, 2018, 05:17:31 PMFrom a few reports the turbo 7 don't cut as straight but I've never used them.  Steve

I have used them in SYP and numerous different hardwoods, including hickory, and they cut straight, but like I said they prefer to cut fast, and they leave a better finish when you run them to the the point the governor on the motor almost begins to groan.  Slow them down too much and you get what can look like a tooth out of set finish at times. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Before I bought the turbo 7 I used only 4 degree.
As I asked people about the turbo 7, I had a salesman at WM Indy tell me the T7 didn't saw good in Pine and Poplar.
I had a guy at WM Albemarle tell me the T7's were great in any wood.
I've had members tell me its their top choice for blades now.

So there was nothing left to do except get a box.
Personally I've learned that the Turbo 7 does saw better for me than the 4 degree.

It really works best for me in wide hardwoods over 16 inches wide.
Having the Wide Head, using a Turbo 7...I run my PSI up to 4000. It saws sweet then and cuts straight.
Anything under 16" wide the 4 degree will do just has good.

Now don't think just because you have the Turbo 7 you can run through a bed of knots wide bass open without a wave.....you might get away with it once but there all gonna leave a wave shortly....even the Turbo 7 if you're going to fast.
You have to learn your mill capabilities, your hp horsepower and choice of blade to have an idea of what works best for you. Learn the sound things make, speed your going and how many bf you have sawn with a blade. I have actually sawn 2 nails in a log with a Turbo 7 and never knew it. It put a line on the face but was still sawing straight.
Ya just have to try different blades to see what suits your needs.

And of course having a debarker is a big plus. IMO, if you don't have a debarker its hard to truly judge a blade.

Now all this is what works for me. Your results may vary with other woods I don't saw.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Crossroads

Seems like it's really going to come down to getting some of the turbo 7's and see if they work for me. Thank you for the replies 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Lawg Dawg

I can say running gas 38hp...turbo 7s cut some red oak like a bat out of haties...good for making trailer decking fast..I've never tried a four.  I have noticed that they cut one good sy pine log pretty good, but after that cut quality go way down.  But I'm in the Sandhills of South Carolina and I think half our sand is lodged in our pine bark. :D

I have switched back to 10* for syp, slick cutting blade, but like Poston, they told me in Albemarle that the T7 would cut anything, and they do, but they don't. 
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Thank You Sponsors!