iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

whats this?

Started by ely, January 28, 2011, 06:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

i found this on the back of a leaf while i was deer hunting this year. it happened to be the coldest day of the year thus far and the bright green caught my eye. looked like a web maybe covering a bug or something. i didnt tear it open to see, not sure why i didnt?

i did bring it home but then forgot about it until i seen the pic.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

Yep , its your thumb, I find your nail to be a bit short there, don't drop any coins they could be hard to pick up with a short nail like that .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

It would however make a dandy tool for smashing that big cocoon next to it.

Tom

Upon considerable examination, it isn't just a thumb.  It is a left thumb.  :P

fishpharmer

The left thumb is holding what resembles a dogwood leaf.  Something wrong with it though, got a green spot  on it. ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Banjo picker

I was going to disagree and say it might be a right thumb, but after carefully looking at the photo...I too concur it to be a left thumb...I should have never doubted Tom anyway...I am so ashamed... ::) ::) :-[  I believe I would put that leaf in the heater..it might cause cancer in labaratory rats in California...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

The caption of the picture would read' "Left Thumb on a Cornus florida".  It would win numerous awards.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

A subtitle would be, "with a fuzzy little green thing attached."

I wish the picture were clearer because something tells me that this is a gall rather than a cocoon, though it might contain an insect.

WDH

It galls me to think what insects can do  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

Do Gauls have insects? :P

Jeff

I think the question is, do they have thumbs.

flibob

You guys know this is not a psychiatric self help site.......right?
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

Jeff

Yes it is. Its all I ever meant it to be. :)

WDH

It is the only thing that keeps me sane.

Tom

OK!  You guys really have me confused now.  What's that leaf got to do with a seine? ???

WDH

If its an in seine, then it is used in the boat to catch all the spilled minnows.  If it is an out seine, then it is used outside the boat to catch the minnows in the first place.  I hear that the seine originated many centuries ago in Gaul.

As far as I know, leafs are bad to plug up the out seine, but not so bad on the in seine.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

Wasn't Leif, Erik's boy?  I'll bet he was the one that discovered swamp donkeys.  I believe he probably used in seine's in the search for Vinland.  There were a lot of grapes there.  Grape leaves get those little fuzzy things under them too.  I still think they might be galls. 

Leif's daddy, Erik, came to Greenland (see, there's that word again) from areas around Scotland.  That was Gaul. Maybe he brought them with him?

WDH

There is Green land and there is Scot land.  Gall land is for people with galls.  No galls for the Boss, so he must be from In-Seine land.  It is located just Nord of Mici land where the saning lakes are. 

Tom

Your right, Jeff belongs to some of those late arriving Eye-tal-onions.

The saning Lakes?   Is that what they call Soo Sane Maree?  Kevin lives up that way.  I wonder if he has any Gall?

ely

onions will give you galls ;D... i see you gentlemen have got quite the mileage out of this thread.
as an update i will offer this... tom is correct as that is my left thumb because there is no way i could work the camera thingy with my left hand, i also believe that is/was a dogwood leaf. to top it off with as i was raking leaves,leafs ,lief from around the porch yesterday in order to burn them. i ran accross this very leaf that i must have laid up on the table saw only to have it blow off. what are the odds of finding it twice like that.

i tore into the green coccoon/gall thingy with my apparentley offensive short nailed left thumb. only to find it did have some sort of insect life inside. they resembeled spiders, so much so that i flipped them imediatly into the pile of burning liefs,leaves, leaf. however i do not suspect any of them being from iceland or green land.

Tom

Bet they were spider mites.

Banjo picker

That would be pretty hard to guestimate those odds...I don't think there is a formula for that sort of thing in the tool box we use on here... ;D  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!