iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"The Ultimate Survivor" - Field & Stream magazine

Started by Warbird, February 27, 2010, 05:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

Any of you guys read Field & Stream?  The February 2010 edition features one of our more hardcore trappers here in the Interior of Alaska.  It is a pretty good article.  Here is some feedback on their site:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/forums/survival/februarys-ultimate-survivor-feedback

Marty is a 'friend of a friend' and I got a chuckle reading his response about this whole thing in this article:

http://www.newsminer.com/printer_friendly/5617527

That article sure tugged at what I call my "lonely strings".  It doesn't mean what you think it might.  A lot of times, I don't like modern-day people.  Strange for a guy so steeped in technology but honestly, there are times I yearn to be living in that cold, drafty cabin, we lived in when I was younger.  No electricity, no running water, an old crappy wood stove for heat, fighting off the -50 and -60° F temperatures.  No one around except the people you brought with you.  And knowing that those times you are alone, your survival is on you and you alone.

God, I miss it.  Makes me want to sell the small number of things I've accrued and go buy some acreage in the middle of nowhere.  Compared to guys like Marty, at 38 years old I am still wet behind the ears.  I still need to learn to take down big game, like a moose, and be able to harvest the meat to feed myself and my family.

*sigh*  And then reality hits.  The world is shrinking.  Even hardcore places like the Interior of Alaska are becoming more populated.  It is more and more difficult to get away.  Marty says in the article that Fairbanks (with 'only' ~35,000 people in it) is already too crowded.  How right he is...  I was just commenting on that very thing to my buddy who I went salmon fishing with on the Copper river last year.

Anyway, sorry to ramble.  Like I said, this article tugged at my 'lonely strings' and I just felt like sharing.

Magicman

I read and really enjoyed it.  He seems to be a tough, non-attention grabbing individual.  Having visited once, any Alaska article grabs my attention. 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and insight.  Our dream is to return someday.  We spent a little over a month, but that was not enough.  We drove the 13K mile trip.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LOGDOG

Makes me think about Dick Proenekke and his "Alone in the Wilderness" book and film. Dick was a guy that I could have liked. Solid to the core. He had a pretty good handle on life and what was happening "out there". Decided it wasn't for him. I never get tired of reading the book or watching the film. Someday .......

Warbird

I can't find a copy of this Field & Stream magazine on the shelves locally.  Completely sold out.  My buddy let me borrow his copy, which his wife got him while she was in Anchorage.  If I can't find one in a few days, I may have to ask one of you to buy one and mail it to me so I can have my own copy!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

I have 2 more stores to check after church today.  If it isn't there, I will definitely contact you.  Thank you!

Warbird

Completely sold out around here.  Sent you a PM.  :)

Magicman

Warbird

Thank you!  This place is great.  You guys rock. 

Thank You Sponsors!