iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Arborist saws

Started by OneWithWood, March 10, 2004, 07:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I don't mind a saw that's hard to start on the ground with five pulls.
When I'm hanging on a rope I prefer one or two pulls.

DanG

Sorry to be tuning in on this thread a bit late. I recently bought an Echo CS300, which replaced the CS3000. It is a really sweet little saw. I believe it has 2 piston rings, for what that's worth. I have had no trouble with the bar slipping, and the side adjustment screw is handy. The little rascal starts on 2-3 pulls, cold, and has bunches of power for such a small, light saw.
The really nice thing was the price.  $199.50, at the dealer, not a discount store. Echo has been running a nationwide  promo, but I'm not sure if it's still on.

This saw was built with the arborist in mind, complete with a  ring to hang it from. You really should check it out, if there is a good dealer nearby. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Rocky_J

Hi Dan,
Yes, the Echo's are nice little climbing saws. I had a cs3000 once but went to the cs3400 shortly afterwards. A lot more power but otherwise it looks identical to the 3000. The 3000/ 300 series have been $199 for as long as I can remember, although they might be getting ready to bump it up. The 340 has gone from $249 to the $279-$299 range in the last year so I assume it's little brother will follow along.

I always remove the ring and use a 8" strap on the rear handle to hang the saw on my saddle. Years ago those rings had a reputation for breaking off.  :)

AtLast

We use the 019...I also have a Shindawa (sp) that works good when for climbing.

I personally highly reccommend the STIHL saws for climbing...I like the Shindawa(sp) but if it hangs to long while in the tree its a BEAR to start

oldsaw-addict

I looked at a Shindaiwa 357 I think it was, it is a little top handle saw built for a 6year old boy to play with.I found the handle setup on the front handle to be VERY small, too small in fact for me to be able to hold it and my hand is a small size. I liked my Echo CS3000 that I had, I'd like to try out an MS200 sometime soon too.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Hunter

I have been using a 338xpt and it does ok.
If in a bucket I like my 540 dolmar.
I try to stay as light as possible.
Been thinking of getting a Hydraulic saw for the bucket work.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

tony_marks

well im gonna thow in the echo 3400 for consideration..
 but really for the job u described .,,i would use my 026.
   there plenty of good saw in that class to choose from. ..
 big enuff to do most jobs and lite also.. other saws for that application. husk in the 40-50 cc class.several out there.
 025 stihl. efco 40-50 cc saws rank with any in my opinion.
  echo makes a good saws in the 40-50 cc range.
  there a real smorgus board of saws to choose from.
 unless u get a lemon u probably like any ofum.
  ps if im gonna be on the groiund. i prefer an rear handled saw.

OneWithWood

Update:

I have not been on the forum of late because I have been busting my butt during the daylight hours felling, skidding, bucking and sawing trees in preparation for actually building the saw barn.  I was just too dern tired to fireup the computer when I came in at dusk.  Barely could stay awake long enough to eat . . .

I did find a moment to bid on a few saws on e-bay. I have a Stihl 019 on its way to me.  I will report back on how I like it.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

OneWithWood

Well I promised I would report back.  I know some of you guys have been laying awake at night wondering how it was going :D :D :D :D

This little saw is great!  I wish I had gotten one a long time ago.  I take it with me even when I am felling the big stuff.  It is much easier and safer to use it on the brush when clearing around a tree to be felled and it makes short work of cleaning up the saplings that get nailed when the big boy drops.

Yep, I am a happy camper  8)

Also very handy around the mill for those quick cuts.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!