iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer eg 200

Started by Busysawyer, June 25, 2018, 06:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

Anyone here running one? I need an edger asap,  I called around and the only thing I can find without ordering is a woodmizer e.g. 200. They have a gas and diesel available for me to pick up right now. It's a 500 mile drive one way but I can't really afford to wait for anyone to build one. I did a search and came up empty on finding any users out there.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Bruno of NH

Check out the Thomas bandsaw mill edger
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Dave Shepard

I have the ED26, which should be the same thing. Its been great, but is a little limited in width. About 24" throat, and I think 15" max board width. It's only an issue really if you are doing a lot of really big logs. It'll up your grade value over edging on the mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Busysawyer

Bruno, thank you for the suggestion. I will give them a call tommorow and check availability. 
Dave will you wm edge 8/4 cut at 2 1/4. My buyer wants their 8/4 cut at 2 1/4". Wm website says the 200 will cut 2" thick . I wonder if that is exactly 2" or if it will cut an 8/4 board that is milled at 2 1/4 ". I suppose I'll have to buy the sales guy again tommorow and ask him.

Southside

Learned yesterday I can edge 2 1/4 but 2 3/8 is too thick. The problem you may run into is a thick and thin situation where your blade dove and you find out when the flitch is stuck in the edger. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

I'm not sure. I know it's rated for 2", but I suspect it may do more. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Busysawyer

Southside, I called Riehl steel today but it sounds like they are busy and at least 6 weeks out. I really can't afford to wait 6 weeks at the moment. So when they say 2 1/4" on their website they mean 2 1/4 . I was curious if there were any give to the specs .

barbender

I can't add anything, other than to say I think your buyer wants 9/4 at 8/4 price😁
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

My point was that when you try to run something to the max rated, or even exceed it, you get into the zone of having zero room for error, and you will have error with rough sawn lumber. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

DARRELL1972

We have the eg 200 it runs 2" stuff no problem 2 1/4 will run but no room for more. Ours is gas and cuts fine. Only complaint is the feed seems a little slow for 2 lol but fine for 1.
95lt40hd
74 8k windham forklift
2018 eg100

Busysawyer

Darrel , if you run something a little too thick. Say 2 3/8 does it bind in the machine or just come out the other side not cut all the way through?

DARRELL1972

Busybeaver I'm believe it would jam. we ran some 9/4 the thru it but no room to spare.
95lt40hd
74 8k windham forklift
2018 eg100

Busysawyer

Thank you Darrel.  Wm is telling me that 2 1/8 is max clearance.  I talked to three different wholesale buyers today and they all say they 2 -3/16 is the minimum for 8/4 and every grade Sawyer is telling me they cut that or 2 1/4. I really want the e.g. 200 but if I can't run industry standard 8/4 through it it simply won't work for us. Timber king called me back today and said they can get me a talon 900 early next week so those are my options at this point. I wish I could take a 2 3/16 board and try to run it through the e.g. 200 but I'm in Michigan and the edger available is in Pennsylvania 

JB Griffin

Quote from: barbender on June 26, 2018, 12:41:56 AM
I can't add anything, other than to say I think your buyer wants 9/4 at 8/4 price😁
Nope, hardwood is different than softwood. 8/4 hardwood is no less than 2 1/8" we saw it at 2 3/16" or 2 1/4" depending on what the buyer wants. Softwood 8/4 is 2"
Just another way the industry confuses everyone with all the crazy rules they have for everything. 
Not runnin anybody down just a clarification for anyone reading this that don't know. 
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Dave Shepard

I'm not sure softwood is supposed to be measured using the quarter system anyway.  ;)

Busysawyer

Thank all you for your input. So my father and I have been sitting here going over the specs in the Timber king and woodmizer brochures. Besides the fact that it appears the e.g. 200 won't cut 8/4 lumber the way it seems all grade sawyers are required to cut it, there is one other stat that jumps out at us. The weights of the two machines. Timber king talon 900 listed as 800 pounds,  woodmizer e.g. 200 at 2260 pounds. For those of us that can do simple math that's a 1460 pound difference. I had to use a calculator but that's a whole lot of difference between the two. Anyone care to speculate why such a big difference.  Is it the roller tables versus the belts? I've never seen either one of these in person and the way it looks is I'll be seeing one of these for the first time after driving 8 hours one way to buy it.

Southside

There are a LOT more moving parts on a belt drive system vs a roller system. So there is the weight and maintenance issues to consider. I will say Woodmaster, which is the sister company to Timber King, has a philosophy of building equipment which weighs less, but don't let that fool you into thinking the equipment is any less effective. I have WM 4000 and a WM 725 and they both weigh less than their competition, but they stand up and run hard. For example, my 4000 has an aluminum table vs the cast iron table in the ph360, lot less weight, but she is not going to flex at all.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

Had a good talk Busybeaver on the ph, Hope I was some help. Good luck.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Busysawyer

Yes Peter i appreciate you taking the time to help a new guy. Honestly I am still surprised at how much support I've been getting from the community here. Both on the forum and over the phone from forum members. There are guys here that will shut down their mill when I call to take the time to send me in the right direction wether it takes 20 min or 2 hours. I am amazed at these guys willingness to help without expecting anything in return. Then there is the other guy who will help me out while running his mill, I  get valuable advice and get to hear a lt70 singing in the background at the same time. The true multi tasker Doug,  4x4 american.
So after much deliberation, hours of phone calls and weighing the options my father has made his executive decision to drive to Marty's in Pennsylvania and pick up our new diesel powered e.g. 200 this Saturday.  Personally I think both the Timber king and woodmizer each have their own positives and negatives. One of the main deciding factors was diesel power. Another deciding factor, and I'm slightly embarrassed to admit this is. I wanted the color to match the lt70. If I go out with the wife or to church I don't even take into consideration if I'm wearing matching clothes but tools are somehow different. I like those to look the same.

Peter Drouin

I looked My edger has 14" blades. Someone here cut 2" off the top of the opening so they can cut 4" thick wood.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Busysawyer

Thank you Peter . I talked to Marty Parsons for a couple minutes this morning and he told me he knew a few customers had modified the machine to cut thicker the way yours has been modified.  It's good to know that if the need arises the edger can be modified to accommodate much thicker boards.  Thanks again 

Percy

I've modified my edger to cut 4 inch. Getting to three inch is relatively easy as its just enlarging the opening. That last inch was a bit of work as you can see the kickback lifter shaft is in the way. Also geared it down with a new set of pulleys and belt. Starting the cut is hard as the hold down rollers have to lift quite a way but when I need alot of 4x4 cut outta small logs, I two side the logs on the mill and after accumulating a whack of 4 inch flitches, I get the first one started and run continious end to end till they are done. It is more productive than 4 siding on the mill.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Peter Drouin

Mine is not cut up,   Percy, your the man, :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Percy

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 28, 2018, 12:11:54 PM
Mine is not cut up,   Percy, your the man, :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah, I think I took some flak way back when I first did this...that poor old edger dont owe me a dime Got it new in 2002 and its on its third motor....I have to make sure my blades are sharp with the 4 inch especially. Here it is today eating a three inch Yellow Cedar flitch. Motor has the hormones to cut it easy. My exhaust blows on the front panel making the poor old thing look like a dogs breakfast....but it gets it done. I love that old thing.... 

Edger - YouTube
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Busysawyer

Percy , thank you for posting the picture and video . That thing looks like it eats pretty fast.  What motor is on it?

Thank You Sponsors!