iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bought a new ms361

Started by Night Raider, April 03, 2008, 02:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Raider

I just bought a new ms361, first impressions, it's a great saw walks right through cedar.  A few questions, what is the generally accepted break-in for a new saw?  Also the manual doesn't say much about what to do for an initial tune up tightening bolts etc...  any other advice is always appreciated.

thanks

beenthere

Mine, when new, seemed a bit lethargic, but after 3-5 tankfuls, and switching to premium gas with no ethanol, it's been cruising fine ever since.  At first, it wouldn't warm start on idle, but now it is great.

Enjoy..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

I bought my ms270c new, a few years ago.  There wasn't any real special advice given about burning it in.  They just said to only burn the highest octane fuel in it I can, keep it lubed, keep it fueled, and keep it clean.  That was it.  It's been running like a champ.

Congrats on the new saw!  :)

a old timberjack

good choice, my only advice spend the extra 1$ a bottle, and buy the stihl hp syn. oil ( in the white bottles ) and she is ready to run like hell...Brandon
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Dustytools

Congrarulations. Its a fine saw and should last you for years to come. I agree with spending a little more money for the synthetic oil mix, Its good stuff.

pbuehning

361 - probably one of the best all around saws made-love mine(love it even more, now that the muffler has been modded).  it takes about 10 - 15 tanks of fuel to wakeup.  PS-keep an eye on the rpms as it wakes up and then take it back to dealer to check.

361 rules!
MS361C-Q (muff mod), MS200 (rear handle),026 (muff mod), MS290, (3)SXL-AO, 030AV, couple of old poulans and ??? # of projects

dancan

I have 2 of them , use high test , no ethanol , use a premium mix you can trust , keep the air filter clean and check all the bolts (cylinder head included) after a few tanks of fuel .
i turn up the oiler to max and be happy  8)

sawmilllawyer

Night Raider, congrats on the saw, I had a coil problem with my at first. Now it is a couple of years old and always starts right up and gets it. Love the anti vibe.

pbuehning, tell me more about the muffler modd, I am still considering doing the same to mine. where? who? how much $? Thanks.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

pbuehning

Hey Sawmill:
Its not hard to do. Do a search of some of the other forums and you'll find specific directions (particularly one done by Lakeside53).  Here are some pics of mine>
Good luck [img width=240 
MS361C-Q (muff mod), MS200 (rear handle),026 (muff mod), MS290, (3)SXL-AO, 030AV, couple of old poulans and ??? # of projects

cuttingman423

the only thing my manual for my husqvarna said dont run full high rpm for the first 10 hours of use  i think i gave it 5 hours tops and it runs great. i'd have to agree with your manual keep it lubed

rfalk

I just bought a 361 and have about 2 hours on it. Saws like a champ, but I am having real trouble starting it. 10 -20 pulls......seems like it should be 1-2....any ideas? Bob
Wood engineer, woodworker, chainsaw miller, bandsaw miller, all around lover of wood.
Stihl 026, 361, 076 AV

Night Raider

Quote from: rfalk on April 13, 2008, 08:58:20 PM
I just bought a 361 and have about 2 hours on it. Saws like a champ, but I am having real trouble starting it. 10 -20 pulls......seems like it should be 1-2....any ideas? Bob

How rich is your mixture?  My second tank of gas I put in something around 32:1 (I didn't think extra oil would hurt)  and it wouldn't start well at all, and when it did start it would bog when I tried to rev it. I dumped the gas into another saw and mixed up some 50:1 or a bit richer and it's been starting and running great.

sawmilllawyer

pbuehning, thanks for the pics and the information on mods. Noce job on yours, I'll bet that puppy barks like a big dog, now!
rfalk, that's what mine did, it turned out to be the coil, it was a warranty repair (meaning covered by Stihl) after that no problemo,  saw has been cutting like a champ,  have since gone through a dozen bottles of Stihl 2 cycle mix (lots of tankfuls of gas). You might also re-check your starting procedure saw could be flooded. Andy
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

ladylake

Take it back to the dealer if close. Otherwise check the choke so it's closing all the way, carb bolts for tightness. You could also try turning the low adjuster counterclockwise a little, could be adjusted a little lean thanks to the EPA.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

I would take it back to the dealer if it was close too.I had a little trouble with my 372 husky.The muffer defeltor was not right.Was melting one of the plastic covers.The dealer had to call up husky to find out the wrong one was put on.It run fine,but just did not look good.Seems like I did not just spend $500 to have it look like that brand new.Now noboby would even notice it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rfalk

thanks for the replys....my first thought was my mix might have been a little rich. I tried a thinner mixture (50:1 or there abouts) but no luck. My other Stihls (026. 076) seem to run fine with the old mix. I pulled the plug, dried it out and tried again. Won't start. Off to the dealer tomorrow....will mention the coil to them...when I did have it running, it cut like a champ. cheers, bob
Wood engineer, woodworker, chainsaw miller, bandsaw miller, all around lover of wood.
Stihl 026, 361, 076 AV

SawTroll

Quote from: pbuehning on April 09, 2008, 05:43:13 AM
361 - probably one of the best all around saws made-love mine(love it even more, now that the muffler has been modded).  it takes about 10 - 15 tanks of fuel to wakeup.  PS-keep an eye on the rpms as it wakes up and then take it back to dealer to check.

361 rules!

Agree!

I think 15-20 tanks  is close, and the dealer should check the cylinder bolts as well as the rpm.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: cuttingman423 on April 12, 2008, 08:05:30 PM
the only thing my manual for my husqvarna said dont run full high rpm for the first 10 hours of use  i think i gave it 5 hours tops and it runs great. i'd have to agree with your manual keep it lubed

What to avoid is full rpms out of wood - allways use full throttle in the wood. ;)
Information collector.

ve2vk

The Stihl MS361 is a top performer. you won't be dissapointed. I run my 361 on Husqvarna semi-synthetic oil. The Stihl Ultra synthetic is not available where I live.  :)
Jonsered 2149W   2150   2152CWH   2153CWH   2156CWH
Husqvarna 365 Zama carb 1997
Stihl MS200T
       MS361 VW Arctic

rfalk

Well, took my 361 to the dealer and they said it was my gas......probably too much oil in mix....well, I have concluded that the 361 is a finicky saw when she eats, but she is a tiger when she runs.....though my old 076 and 026 run on anything I mix up, I guess I have to be more careful when feeding the 361. bob
Stihl 026, 361, 076 AV

jokers

I run 32:1 in all my saws and they start fine, perhaps you fellas need to have your carbs adjusted........richen that bottom end.

SawTroll

I learned about richening the L side even before I bought mine, and I believe it was from you, at another site....... 8) 8)

It certainly was good advice, but I don't really get your 32:1 thingy - even my 1970 Jonsereds 621 runs the best with 50:1 (and had done so for years before I got it), even though it is "rated" at 25:1......  ::)

Fuel has allways been the Aspen Alky fuel, premixed with high quality synth oil.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Double post, please remove mods...........
Information collector.

jokers

What do you call "best" SawTroll? Are you talking about seat of the pants power comparisons, dyno tests, throttle response........?

I don`t feel that I`m suffereing any negative consequences, only positives. I haven`t dynoed any of my saws, only Walkers dynoed my first 346, but there is plenty of reputable information from the engine manufacturers and factory race teams supporting my statement that more oil equals more power.

Power aside though, since I haven`t felt any difference in work saws between 32:1 and 50:1. Throttle response in all of my saws is really crisp and they all hold good rpms in the cut.

I haven`t seen any unusual carbonization either, infact my engines seem to be very clean inside compared to alot I`ve seen, but I consider that to be more a function of how I keep the carbs adjusted and filters clean versus some saws that never get a carb tweak or perpetually run a dirty air filter.

There is also plenty of empirical evidence supporting longevity in both ported worksaws and racesaws, both of which turn a lot higher rpm in the cut than stock saws. I simply can`t see any reason not to run 32:1.

Thank You Sponsors!