iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

346XP

Started by Noodle, April 28, 2008, 08:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle

I think I can get a good deal on a new 2006 346XP.  It is the 45cc model, not the new 50cc model.  I will be using it to cut medium size trees on my property, a mix of hard and soft wood.  I here this saw is a screamer and you really need to run it WOT but the power and weight seem perfect.  The 353 has similar specs, short of the max rpm.

Any downside to the 346XP?

Ed

I don't think you can find much, if any faults with the 346xp. It's a great saw!
Just trash the cat muffler and put  non-cat muffler on it, Baileys carries them. The saw will run cooler and have a noticable torque increase.

Ed

SawTroll

Use a light touch, and stay with the .325 chain - low end torque is not the strong side of the 45cc 346xp.   :)
Information collector.

jokers

Quote from: SawTroll on May 06, 2008, 04:43:59 PM
Use a light touch, and stay with the .325 chain - low end torque is not the strong side of the 45cc 346xp.   :)
..........or any other small saw.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4335615331882766444

SawTroll

Quote from: jokers on May 09, 2008, 10:20:03 AM
Quote from: SawTroll on May 06, 2008, 04:43:59 PM
..........or any other small saw. ....

Sure, but the NE346xp and the 5100S has a lot more of it.... :)
Information collector.

jokers

Sorry to disagree SawTroll but I`ve run an NE346xp and owned 5100s and well, I disagree with the statement that they have LOTS more torque, they`re all still light in the torque department IMO.

SawTroll

Compared to what?????     LOL  8)
Information collector.

jokers

Quote from: SawTroll on May 09, 2008, 08:21:51 PM
Something.........anything.........bigger like a 359, 357, or 361........even the Redmax 621 has alot more torque than a 5100 or NE346. Ya know a small saw that had enough torque to surprise me is rahtreelimbs Echo 510(or something like that), I obviously don`t remember the model number.

Don`t get me wrong, the 3 cubers are great for what they are but IMO anyone who buys any particular 3 cube saw for it`s alledged torque is barking up the wrong tree.

ladylake

That would be the Echo CS510 now the CS520, has lots of torque for 49cc, the CS440 also has good torque, makes them real user friendly. We know Troll doesn't like Echo but he's never ran one.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

Quote from: jokers on May 09, 2008, 11:35:17 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on May 09, 2008, 08:21:51 PM
Something.........anything.........bigger like a 359, 357, or 361........even the Redmax 621 has alot more torque than a 5100 or NE346. Ya know a small saw that had enough torque to surprise me is rahtreelimbs Echo 510(or something like that), I obviously don`t remember the model number.

Don`t get me wrong, the 3 cubers are great for what they are but IMO anyone who buys any particular 3 cube saw for it`s alledged torque is barking up the wrong tree.

Yeah, I know - but the 5100 actually is pretty close to a 359 and 357xp (non-etech) for max torque (KWF/DLG dyno tests) - but nowhere close to the MS361.

The NE346xp hasn't been tested yet.

And yes, I know that such numbers doesn't tell the whole story....... ;) :) ;D
Information collector.

ladylake

It doesn't pay to compare the 5100s to smallers Huskys which had good high speed power but fell off real fast as the RPM's comes down.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cut4fun

I have to agree with Jokers on this one. The 45cc Huskys have alot of torque when done right.
Now if you want to feel alot torque in a 49cc saw, run a 20+ year old Partner 5000+ that is tuned right and if you want unbelievable torque try one woods ported for working conditions.
Plus I am talking running real chain 3/8 full comp full chisel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R0uImGrp84

jokers

All bets are off when we start talking modified!  ;D Of the modern saws, I`ll take the 346 any day!

Those P5000s make a pretty good 3 cube racer don`t they Cut4fun.  ;)

justintimemoto

my friend has a 346xp i love the thing its perfect size
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

SawTroll

Quote from: ladylake on May 10, 2008, 03:30:56 PM
It doesn't pay to compare the 5100s to smallers Huskys which had good high speed power but fell off real fast as the RPM's comes down.    Steve

I prefere the NE346xp over the 5100S in the woods, as it feels more compact and nimble (and also is a tad lighter)........ ;)
Information collector.

jokers

Steve, are you saying that the 5100s don`t drop out of the power pretty quick when the Rs drop?

John Mc

Can somebody fill me in on the abbreviations here? Does NE346XP mean "Non E-Tech" 346XP?

Also, what is the difference? Is it just a matter of swapping out a catalytic muffler for a non-catalytic one, or is there something more to it than that? The specs in the 2008 Husqvarna book I have look the same.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jokers

I believe it was SawTroll who coined the term NE346 and I believe that he is referring to the newest(New Edition?) larger displacement version of the 346 which is also rev limited to 14.1k.

John Mc

OK, Got it. The old ones has around 45 or 46 cc engines, and the new ones are 50 cc, right?

Now I'm still wondering about the 346XP E-Tech versus the 346XP (and the 357XP E-Tech vs, the 357XP). Both are listed in my Husqvarna book. Cant see any differences in the specs listed, other than the fact that one lists "E-Tech" and the other does not.

John
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jokers

Quote from: John Mc on May 18, 2008, 09:21:23 AM
OK, Got it. The old ones has around 45 or 46 cc engines, and the new ones are 50 cc, right?
Correct. The new model has a bit more torque, much like the 5100s.
Quote from: John Mc on May 18, 2008, 09:21:23 AM
Now I'm still wondering about the 346XP E-Tech versus the 346XP (and the 357XP E-Tech vs, the 357XP). Both are listed in my Husqvarna book. Cant see any differences in the specs listed, other than the fact that one lists "E-Tech" and the other does not.

John
I am not aware of any mechanical difference with the exception of the catalyst containing muffler. ehp built me a 359 based on an E-Tech 359 and the thing is a real brute, it`ll hold it`s own with anything of similar displacement. I`ve read the accounts of many guys buying the E-Techs because they were cheaper or that was all that was available, some guys swapped to a non-cat muffler, but I`m not aware of any other complaints regarding performance.

ladylake

Quote from: jokers on May 17, 2008, 08:54:01 PM
Steve, are you saying that the 5100s don`t drop out of the power pretty quick when the Rs drop?
Jokers    I can't say about the 5100 or NE346, never ran them. Have run old 346xp MS260 and a Rancher55 and my Echo CS510's have way better torque than those.   Steve

jokers

Sorry Steve, I thought that we had been discussing the  Dolmar 5100s,not the Echo 510. I had an Echo 500vl that had way more torque than any of the other saws mentioned but top speed was only around 10k out of the cut, held `er pretty good in the cut even with 3/8s chain though.

ladylake

Jokers I think we were discussing 50cc saws and there torque or lack of it. The small Husky's I've have run bog real easy, from reading what Troll has to say I assumed the 5100s and 346NE had way better torque, but the you don't know untill one actually runs one. Guess that's why I like Echo saws you can take the rakers down and they have enough torque to pull it without haveing to keep the RPM's just perfect.   Steve

SawTroll

Quote from: jokers on May 18, 2008, 01:25:56 AM
I believe it was SawTroll who coined the term NE346 and I believe that he is referring to the newest(New Edition?) larger displacement version of the 346 which is also rev limited to 14.1k.

Yes, New Edition!

They come without a cat here, if you don't specify that you want it (you even have to pay extra).

Some of the first to reach the US also were non-cat, but I believe they all come with a cat by now, so you have to replace the muffler. Modding the cat one is not advisable, as cutting into that stuff represent a healt hazard........
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!