iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Non-catalytic mufflers

Started by John Mc, May 10, 2008, 08:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Does anyone have a feel for how much power switching from a catalytic to a non-catalytic muffler adds? For example, "it's roughly equivalent to x% increase" or "it's like adding X cc's to your engine".

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

leweee

:D the difference between constipated & normal. :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

John Mc

Quote from: leweee on May 10, 2008, 11:31:56 AM
the difference between constipated & normal.

Right... OK so once I feed my saw the non-catalytic "ex-lax", am I likely to have to readjust the mixture beyond what the limiter caps allow? Or is the effect on mixture relatively minor? I'm not talking about any further mods to the muffler beyond swapping with a non-catalytic unit at this point.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

leweee

;D if the outlet is the same size you should be close.....tach the saw for top end to be sure after replacing the muffler. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SawTroll

Quote from: John Mc on May 12, 2008, 08:24:58 PM
Quote from: leweee on May 10, 2008, 11:31:56 AM
the difference between constipated & normal.

Right... OK so once I feed my saw the non-catalytic "ex-lax", am I likely to have to readjust the mixture beyond what the limiter caps allow? Or is the effect on mixture relatively minor? I'm not talking about any further mods to the muffler beyond swapping with a non-catalytic unit at this point.

Could go both ways - you don't know before you have made the change.....
John Mc
Information collector.

John Mc

I've got a Jonsered 2152C saw which I bought new a couple of years ago. The "C" supposedly stands for Catalytic (or so I'm told). The saw does have the green fuel cap.

I thought I'd read somewhere that the catalytic mufflers are silver colored, or have a silver cover plate somewhere on the muffler. Mine is all black. How do I tell whether I've already got the non-catalytic muffler?

John Mc

johncinquo

Your gonna need to trim the limiter caps.  exacto knife works just fine. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

John Mc

Well, I finally got around to putting a non-catalytic muffler on my 2152. It just seemed to be running incredibly hot, especially when bucking Oak and Maple. What a huge difference! Saw runs a LOT cooler! It also has noticeably more power. I was always surprised how little difference the extra 10 CCs seemed to make between this 2152 and an older 2141 I have (non-catalytic muffler). I can sure see the difference now.

Thanks for the advice. Glad I made the switch.

John Mc

Urbicide

Husqvarna catalytic mufflers actually have "CAT" and a model number stamped into the upper surface of the muffler. You have to look close for it as it is not very noticeable.

John Mc

Yeah, I noticed that little "CAT" stamp as I was changing the muffler on my Jonsered. Probably never would have noticed it if I wasn't swapping them out. At least now I know what to look for.

John Mc

Thank You Sponsors!