iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello Everyone

Started by jimdad07, October 24, 2018, 11:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdad07

I'm up and walking again after the fall in May.  Been back at work since October 1st, gimping through the day.  On another note the barn progress is finally flying again.  All timbers are set, 52 out of the 104 rafters are set, I have the remaining 52 cut and they are starting to go up tomorrow.  I managed to build stairs in the frame while still walking with a cane...that was entertaining.  This is the third year into this project, second year since starting to stand it and I can finally see the finish line.  When we get it done hopefully Jim Rogers and I can get together and put a couple of videos out.  After this frame I have three more in the works, a house addition, a 30x40 small barn with a hay loft and a 12x16 shed.  Should go much faster with a proper shop to work out of.  Hope everybody here is doing well.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

klpauba

It's great to hear you're back on your feet! Hopefully, you are near the end of your recovery.

TimFromNB

Hi Jim, have been following your progress on Youtube and been watching videos here and there. Glad to see you are back at it and your hard work is paying off. I've decided to start your vlog from the beginning, hoping it will help with my own build.

Don't want to hijack your thread, but I just finished watching some of your videos with your bigger saws. In your opinion, if you could only choose between the 10 1/4" and the 16", which would you choose? I am cutting similar joints in 8x8 posts and 8x10 beams and plates. Have been using an 8 1/4" (~3" cut depth) so far but am thinking a bigger saw could help save time and hassle.

jimdad07

If you can only get one I wouldn't hesitate to get the bigger one.  I will say that the 10-1/4" saw is very nimble and easy to handle than the bigger one.  If you're cutting 8x8's and 8x10's you might be happy with the smaller saw.

jimdad07

Quote from: klpauba on October 25, 2018, 08:40:34 AM
It's great to hear you're back on your feet! Hopefully, you are near the end of your recovery.

Thank you.  The doc says this will be healing over a couple of years and will never be the same again but what do they know?

fishfighter

Didn't know you took a fall. :o Glad to hear you up and going. ;D

TimFromNB

Thanks Jim, hope your recovery continues well!

jimdad07

Quote from: fishfighter on October 26, 2018, 05:38:42 AM
Didn't know you took a fall. :o Glad to hear you up and going. ;D

Back in May.  Finally getting close to closing this thing in.

Hilltop366

He took a fall in the spring but sprung back in the fall!

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Don P

Glad to hear you're back at it.
Do be mindful of yourself, it'll talk to you enough later.

Ljohnsaw

Jim,
Glad to hear you are back at it.  I took a ten foot drop on to my back (on gravel) early on in my build.  I'm a lot more careful now!

Tim,
I picked up a Makita 16-5/16 saw.  Works great cutting 6" slots in my sills.  It is capable of doing 6-1/8" cuts but it is a beast!  One thing I really dislike is it is backwards to all other saws.  The motor is on the left so you have to look over your right arm at times to see what's going on.  Very awkward.  Also, it sucks a lot of power.  I'm running off generators.  I have a 3.5kw (peak) unit and it draws it down a bit without using any extension cords.  But it does make a smooth cut with a Diablo carbide blade.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

jimdad07

Quote from: Hilltop366 on October 26, 2018, 07:08:17 PM
He took a fall in the spring but sprung back in the fall!

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Now that is original!

jimdad07

Quote from: Don P on October 26, 2018, 07:37:24 PM
Glad to hear you're back at it.
Do be mindful of yourself, it'll talk to you enough later.

Darn thing speaks pretty loudly now.  Lot of hardware in that leg now that tells me it is cold and damp right now.

Thank You Sponsors!