iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber storage situation.

Started by Dave Shepard, February 23, 2018, 08:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I have access to a building where I can potentially store some lumber, as well as set up a woodworking and timber framing shop. There is a lot of development work to be done initially, there's an Olympic sized pool in the timber framing shop, but for starters there is a lot of dry storage. My question is how dry does lumber have to be before I can move it inside (still stickered)? Cherry would probably be what I'm most interested in storing, as well as white pine. There is no air flow, and no electricity, as there is a $6,000.00 deposit required to turn on the 250kw service. In the future, I'd like to have a kiln at this location, but not until there is power.  Thanks. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Southside

What are your plans for the pool?  Must be a massive building for sure. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

Pool room is 36x80. Fill it in and use it as a timber framing shop. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

longtime lurker

+1

My exact first thought was "woo hoo! Sawdust bunker".
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Don P

Borate dip tank
You should be safe below fiber saturation ~25%, no free moisture to support fungi. The building supplies keeps 19% in dead storage.

How's the roof? Old leaky flat roof= money pit.

Dave Shepard

YellowHammer

Is the building an old YMCA or something?  Sounds very interesting.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Dave Shepard

Former reform school. Now full of chickens. But not this building. 

Don P

Thank You Sponsors!