iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking for a bigger bar for my craftsman saw

Started by shelbycharger400, September 11, 2011, 09:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbycharger400

well, to sum it up, i sent an email to baileys , as following
currently my biggest saw I have is  a late 70's craftsman 917, currently i have a 20" oregon bar
bar is pxbk041   78link .325 chain
Im a member of the forestry forum, figure i should mention that, but,
i have a flood plain with dead trees to clean up for a landowner with several large trees in the 2 to 3 ft dia, Oak, maple,elm, and one or 2 basswood.
today i worked over a 32 in dia weeping willow.  It cuts fast and well til i hit some dirt i need a bigger bar and considering carbide chain.   let me know whats available.
Id rather not buy another saw, when in the next few years im inheriting about 12 more saws, from a few 16in poulands to the 2, 20 in craftsmans, stihl o38, husqvarna, list goes on, all run too.

some of those big trees, will take a few pickup loads each.  Lots of 2 ft dia, dead elms, must be 60-80 ft tall, thier is a nice maple thats 3 ft dia, still growin, but leaning.
anyone know of bigger bars for the low pro chain?  the saw has suprizing power for a 65cc saw.  not shure if it matters for inquiring people but it has a pro spur center drive rim sprocket.  Im also considering skip tooth.    I know  I can get a 28 in bar for my deere 50v (.375 chain) but its power is droppin. And above... im hopefully soon getting 4 , 65 cc saws soon.  

beenthere

You say you sent this email to Bailey's?    Let us know what you hear back. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

You need more saw brutha. 20" is the longest available with that tail pattern, the saw is obviously too small to handle anything larger.
Carbide chain is not the answer. Aside from the price which will scare you, it is I believe only available in 3/8" pitch for larger saws. It is not as fast as regular chisel, it is designed primarily for demolition or rescue applications. Stihl and Rapco offer it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

Of all those saws you mentioned you'd be better off to get the Stihl 038,hang a 20" on it with full comp round chisel and call it a day .

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

lumberjack48

I agree with the 038/20 '' or 24'' bar, i would run full chisel,  cutters filed at 40 degrees with a 5/32 file, rakers at 35 thousandths , it will cut smooth, in stead of cutting your more less slicing the wood. You might have to file a little more often, but its so quick to file, you'll have fun cutting all that wood up.

I used to buy & sell a full chisel semi carbide chain from Carlton,  i used this chain and sold a lot of them the guys really liked them, you could file with a standard file by hand, a 60 DL cost $26., this was 20 yrs ago.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

You wouldn't gain much by that except get a jerky chain .

shelbycharger400

I know the newer craftsman at my parents house (1995 vintage, came with a 24 in bar, and low profile chain) not shure on the bar mount

the 038 has a 20 in bar on it.    It dosnt get used much due to i need to find a new air filter cover,  but its a backup saw, for just in case i get stuck.

Power for power, this craftman i have, has more power than that 038 stihl. , but this craftsman is LOUD!, and cuts best at WOT, where the stihl cuts best slightly under wot

maybe i will have to suck it up and buy an 088 , buddy got a steal deal, he bought one for $700 about 6 years ago..and wont sell it. HE has NO trees to speak of, and dosnt burn wood. He only bought it to clean up the 44in

Al_Smith

Evidently something is amiss with that 038 then .Two fold ,it won't run at wide open throttle and two it gets out cut by a Craftsman .Highly unusual .

lumberjack48

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CB58%20375&fullsite=Y

I believe this is the same thing i bought in a Carlton chain, some 20 yrs ago from upper NY state.
I filed by hand with no problem
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

shelbycharger400

al....  yep somethin is a miss with the stihl...  prob cut a Few HUNDRED cord  i was a kid during the tree service.. and they bought that saw used,  and they also used it to cut for the 1890's farmhouse we usto live in in 1984 to 87, and the 4000 sq ft house from 87 up to about 2005.

shelbycharger400

well just looked at my options, no response yet on the email
found these 5 that will hold a 36 in bar.
jonserud 630 +670 at buddys house... not shure on $ yet
junserrud 920 for $500, comes with a 20 and 24 bar and chain, i have been eyballin for a long time.
a rebuild/repainted stihl 044 with no bar for 550,   (36 bar and chain is 80 and 20 if i remember right)
and a stihl 046 magnum with a 36 in bar and chain for 500

let me know what you all think is best bang for the $

Al_Smith

So you're saying the old 038 is just tired then ? Not a big deal,set of rings and a carb rebuild would likely  perk it back up again .Those are good old saws now,one of Stihls' finest ever made .

FWIW I have an 038 mag that spent 20 plus hard years in service for tree company .I nursemaided that thing for the last 10 to keep it afloat .The owner finally replaced it and gave it to me .It's slated for a soup up job when I get the time .

Even as it is and 30 years old it will still get-er-done in grand style . ;D

Thank You Sponsors!