iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boots

Started by Woodboogah, October 06, 2013, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

I am curious to what people are wearing for boots.  My wife thinks I am nuts to spend the amount of money on boots that I do.  They are on me everyday most of the day so I need a comfortable boot.  I am in the market for new boots.  I was wearing labonville boots made by matterhorn.  They since discontinued the model.  They lasted me a long time and were comfortable.  I was looking into hoffman or wescos I would like to actually see them in person or try a pair on but I cant find a retailer in the area.   
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Kemper

I wear Redwings steel toed. They are more comfortable than tennis shoes. No need for cork or cleated boots in this area. About $150 a pair, I usually have two pair, one for working and one for church and then rotate when I buy a new pair

Quote from: Woodboogah on October 06, 2013, 10:15:49 AM
I am curious to what people are wearing for boots.  My wife thinks I am nuts to spend the amount of money on boots that I do.  They are on me everyday most of the day so I need a comfortable boot.  I am in the market for new boots.  I was wearing labonville boots made by matterhorn.  They since discontinued the model.  They lasted me a long time and were comfortable.  I was looking into hoffman or wescos I would like to actually see them in person or try a pair on but I cant find a retailer in the area.

jmouton

I  do the same thing on rotating boots  too,   I  have justin  boots and redwings  they are both good boots  ,   I  do concrete for my day job and boots rarely  last a year with me nomatter who makes them, but as long as they are comfortable ,  thats my 2 cents worth

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Woodboogah

I also rotate out my boots.  Have my "good" pair and my work pair.  I used to wear red wings but they didnt last more than 6-8 months.  There were really comfortable though.  The boots I am wearing now I am going on 18 months.  They are not waterproof anymore and the sole is starting to come off.  So the good pair becomes the work pair Monday.

mad murdock

I have the "red dawgs" that baileys sells.  Have had them resoled once. They are very comfortable. I think Wesco makes them for baileys. Good boots at a decent price. Of course you can't go wrong with a pair of whites or hawthorns shut they are more $$. No substitute for good boots in the woods, IMO it is a safety issue as much as a comfort issue.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

Woodboogah,not to be mean to your wife,but have her follow you around for one day with whatever foot wear she wants to wear that day. She will change her mind I bet about half way through the day.  :D  Boots are high,but what isn't?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Autocar

Wescos are hard to beat I wore 16 inch for years but have went to Huffman with caulked bottoms. On my way from the job or on weekends I ware Justins there all good shoes and yes my wife says the same thing about the cost but then again I don't wear flip flops  ;D
Bill

pappy19

White's are the mainstay of western loggers/foresters and have been for 50 years. Expensive but re-buildable and last a very long time. Main thing that fails on most other boots is the heals from side hills. None stronger than the heals on White's, IMHO.

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29868
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

ttwitchell12

I have worn Chippewa super loggers in the wood or years. I wear my boots every day. they have good tread, are warm in the winter and surprisingly cool in the summer I can get about 2 years before the are falling apart.

ryguy777

red wings last about 2 years before they start falling apart and thats with everyday wear. I like them. more comfortable than anything else ive owned

ashes

I wear Danner super rainforest boots.

They have been a great pair for me and the are very comfortable. The only complaint is they aren't corked and the cobbler around here won't cork them.

Other than that they are gore-tex and have remained waterproof for over a year now. They are also made in the USA.

1270d

I'll add another opinion.  Try miendl boots.  The most comfortable footwear I've ever worn.

woodmills1

All red wing both work and play

I have all of the pairs of red wing boots I ever bought, only lost one pair of sneakers(red wing) to wearing out

One secrete is to rotate 2 pair of work boots on a daily basis, wear a pair today and a different one tomorrow.  This can triple the lenght of time before failure.  by the way red wings a repairable, and offer lifetime free stitching
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

lynde37avery

Georgia, Carolina are my two usuals. one pair every 8 or 9 months. bought 2 pair of tractor supply work boots. terrible for working in the woods with. got maybe 4 months a pair before they start getting real soft and falling apart. im fixin to get a pair of Danner boots. double the price of the others but I hear I can get one solid year out of a pair as I don't rotate footwear. its work boots for work/activity and sneakers for hangin out n mowing the lawn. im green at buying logging work stuff so I am still learning.
Detroit WHAT?

Maine372

Ive logged and im now in tree work. anytime im on the ground I wear labonville loggerheels with Kevlar built in. they are a little stiffer than boots without protection but its worth it to me.

for wet and winter weather I wear Viking rubber boots with the Kevlar. again they are stiffer than boots without the protection, but they last a lot longer in abusive conditions like dead spruce limbs. buy them a little big and wear extra socks or boot liners.

KBforester

Quote from: ashes on October 06, 2013, 12:31:00 PM
I wear Danner super rainforest boots.

They have been a great pair for me and the are very comfortable. The only complaint is they aren't corked and the cobbler around here won't cork them.

Other than that they are gore-tex and have remained waterproof for over a year now. They are also made in the USA.

Me too
Trees are good.

NHTDeez

Woodboogah - Try Chappell tractor in Milford, NH that is where I got my last pair of boots.  They have a decent selection that you can try on there.  They also have a good sized showroom for saws and jacks, straps, pulleys, climbing spikes etc.. I love going there it's like Disney for us guys.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: NHTDeez on October 06, 2013, 07:52:25 PM
Woodboogah - Try Chappell tractor in Milford, NH that is where I got my last pair of boots.  They have a decent selection that you can try on there.  They also have a good sized showroom for saws and jacks, straps, pulleys, climbing spikes etc.. I love going there it's like Disney for us guys.

do they have cork boots
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SAnVA

I wear Red Dawgs from Bailey's but would like to try a pair of Nick's from www.nicksboots.com---maybe one of these days if I live long enough!

smwwoody

Woodboogh
Let me know what you find. I have been wearing Materhorns for 10 years now  it is time for a new pair and I haven't found a replacement yet

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Woodboogah

NHTdeez-I am probably in there more then I should be.  I am on a lot right on the milford hollis line.  I have looked at their boots I dont think they had any made in the USA. 

smwwoody-I'll let you know.  I dont want to change boots but I think I am going to give another manufacturer a try.  I am going to look into the danners.  They make a good hiking boot. 

loggah

For the last 20 years i have worn the Labonville logger boot with kevlar lining,they were good but the last ones have gone downhill in quality, i'll be looking for a different brand myself . Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Woodboogah

loggah-That is what I have been wearing and loved them, the last two pairs  I bought didnt last nearly as long as my others and I read that they discontinued the model all together.  I dont know how true that is, I havent looked into it.  Either way I am switching boots.

thenorthman

Viberg out of canada, tough boot very expensive, custom boots available. starting around $300 and climbing rapidly from there...

Whites/hawthorn (been around for more like 100 years...) also a tough boot and available in custom sizes and shapes  plan on $400+ for whites and around $200+ for the hawthorns and up...

Hoffman out of Idaho, very good boot and excellent customer service.  Prices starting around $200 and climbing from there,  I believe they make custom sizes and whatnot too.

Wesco, another excellent boot and a little lighter then the other three.  Once again prices starting in the $200's and climbing from there.

There is also Kuliens but I don't know much about them other then they where willing to make an extra small pair of calks and they are expensive...

I have a paif of Whites/hawthorns with vibrams very comfortable and tough boot,

Also have a pair of Vibergs calks that have been resoled by hoffman, these boots are at least 20 years old (spent many years in retirement) originally had non replaceable calks... been wearing em for 2 seasons now and no sign of any more wear... except I'm on my second or third round of nails...

The thing is if you want good boots you are going to spend lots of money... but its very worth it at the end of the day.  I really like the whites "arch ease"... my next pair of calks will probably be a custom pair of whites... but maybe Viberg... and Hoffman is still a contender... but whites is the most local and been respected out here for over a century...

My avatar is my viberg/hoffmans... on their first day back after being rebuilt...
well that didn't work

NHTDeez

I'm not far from Milford myself.  Love that place but I spend too much $ there when I go.  Next on the list is spikes.  Labonville store is a decent drive but they have a good selection.  They carry made in USA.  Not as many as I would like though.  Let us know what you choose.

Trahlin

+1 on the White/Hawthorn boots.  If you are ever in Spokanne, stop in at the factory showroom and get professionally fitted.  You can watch boots being hand made, and talk with the craftsmen who make them.  I have worn this brand for 28 years myself, and my father and grandfather both wore Whites.  I have tried to save money and buy cheaper boots, but always end up back at Whites.

You only truly fail, when you fail to TRY!

curdog

I wear nicks for work. I've got three years of wear out of them and are extremely comfortable. I'm going to get them resoled since I wear the inside of every pair of boots I've ever worn. The first few weeks were uncomfortable, but they fit like a glove. And they have definitely had the miles put on them. A little expensive, but you get what you pay for.

MikeON

I wear boots with internal metatarsal protection in addition to the steel toe.  Currently a pair of Carolinas, but they are getting shabby.  Such boots are required in coal mines.
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

Mark K

I wear Matterhorns. Last two pairs I bought online. Use to be a dealer at woodsmens field days every year. Havent been able to find them. My other favorite boots are chippewa super loggers. Last a long time.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

forest.c

labonville loggers with kevlar
forest.c

GRANITEstateMP

Labonville w/ Kevlar - (made in USA - PA I think) for woods / farm work
LL Bean Cresta Hikers (made in Romania) GoreTex  Vibram sole for going out and about (life time warranty).

I have a few requirements for footwear, the first is that it NOT be made in China!  The second is quality and durability and the third comfort.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Woodboogah

Yup made in the USA is my number one.  Comfort is a close second seeing as I am in them more then I am not.  Has anyone been to Windy Ridge in Ossippee, NH.  I have heard they have a good selection of footwear, I cant find any info in the good ol net about them.  I would really prefer to try boots on before I purchase from a company I have never worn.  Thanks

thenorthman

Quote from: Trahlin on October 07, 2013, 11:09:01 PM
+1 on the White/Hawthorn boots.  If you are ever in Spokanne, stop in at the factory showroom and get professionally fitted.  You can watch boots being hand made, and talk with the craftsmen who make them.  I have worn this brand for 28 years myself, and my father and grandfather both wore Whites.  I have tried to save money and buy cheaper boots, but always end up back at Whites.

you can also be fitted by any of the dealers out here, or contact them and they will send out a fitting kit.

Viberg, Whites, and Hoffman all work this way, I'm sure wesco and kulian does as well I'm just not as familiar whith them.

I would like to tour the Whites factory some day, its only a 4 hour drive.
well that didn't work

4thehalibit

i wear timberland pro mud slingers and Timberland PRO Rip Saw WP

Thank You Sponsors!