iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood jigs

Started by Paul_H, January 04, 2006, 03:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

I did a search today but couldn't find much on fire/slabwood jigs.Do any of you use them? I saw some threads where slabwood was discussed and a few people send the slabs to the charcoalers but we have none near us.I would like to cut up all but the thinnest of slabs @ 18" lengths.

Any pictures?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

GF

I made me a several X's from 2X4 material 4'6" long, and spaced them out 24" apart.  I attached three of them together at the bottom to make a 4' section (easier to move), and made two fo these sections.  As I cut slabs off the sawmill I put them in these X's, onces it fills up I start up the chainsaw and cut them to length, its much quicker than cutting one slab at a time.

Also it does not take very long to fill them up.

Paul_H

Thanks Gary,that sounds like a good,easy to move setup.I was trying to come up with some long heavy duty contraption to handle the longer slabs but it makes much more sense to have  4' sections.Two sections spaced 2' apart gives 10' of table.

karl

We cut ours 4' for the outdoor boiler- 4- 8x8x8' laid on the ground @ 2', 6' 10' 14'  from the end of one of the sheds we store them/forklift them to the stove in. Pile 'em up with one end tight to building(to keep 'em even on the end) 'til the pile is getting weird from short slabs and eyeball every 4', chainsaw downthrough leaving the bottom few so the saw doesnt bind too bad, load those and repeat , working back into the pile the lenght of the bar until pile is gone.

It is important to keep in mind that the tip and top of chain are in the pile and kickback is a very real possibility if you get careless.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Frank_Pender

Ok, Paul, you asked for it.  I will try and find the pictures of my Wood device for firewood.  If you recall, I use it with the forks for the tractor loader.  I can produce 1/4 of a cord with the unit filled. ;D
Frank Pender

Paul_H

I remember it Frank,it was built by an ex student of yours wasn't it?  And it folded down on the one side to dump it,right?

A picture(s) would be apreciated,thanks.

Frank_Pender

Paul, here's some pics of the jig that you saw when you were down here.  For those others interested, this is made of steel.  It holds 1/4  cord when filled, 8' long, 2' wide, and 2' deep.  It is hinged on the opposite side of the forks, and dumps.  You will notice that each of the slots are 16" on center for the chain saw.

Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.   For example; there are four chains, two at each end.  The chains attatched to the spring and set in a hook at each side of the fork frame.  The springs act as a stop device to keep the main box from racking over toooo far when dumping the sawed wood.   The white chains are attatched to separate hooks on each side of the  frame as well and used to keep the tubing from sliding off of the forks.

If you look closely you can see where the tubing is hitched in the front of the jig and that point is the hinge point.  The hinge is a two inch shaft of steel inside a quarter in tube. 

When sawing I saw from the front of the jig.   I run 36" bars on all of 044s and 066.  If you build something similar make sure you allow  for the length of bars you run and keeping away from whatever machinery you use for the forks.  At the bottom of each cutting entry you will notice a dimensional piece of wood.  Each of those is designed for the saw to hit after cutting through the woodd in the jig.   I sawed some 6" x 8" Oak for that purpose.  The Oak seems to last a bit longer that using Douglas Fir.   ;D  The space between the top of the Oak and the steel that the wood lays on is about 2".

Each of the wooden uprights is a full 2" x 10" Douglas Fir.  If you look real close you will see that I have drilled to holels in each of the brackets to place two 8 penny duples nails or screws to hold the boards in their brackets.   If you do not do this they will fall out when dumping.
Frank Pender

FiremanEd

Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Todd

I take 2  48"*48" pallets with some boards nailed to the sides and put them in line with about 6" gap between them.  After I fill them up with slabs I cut between the two pallets and just move them with a forklift. (on to a waiting truck usually, slab wood seems to be our best product)
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Frank_Pender

I would like to see a picture of your pallet set up, thurtscher, if possible.  I could use such a device as will for the Taylor stoves wood supply.
Frank Pender

Todd

Frank,
I'll see if I can get some for you later on today
Todd

GF

Thats a good looking setup Frank.  Can you send it my direction so i can get a closer inspection of it?  ;D

Frank_Pender

Sure GF.  if you are willing to send the correct paper in return.  This is one of a kind for sure.  Thank you for the compliment of haveing me send it your way. 
Frank Pender

Paul_H

I went and built a couple of jigs like GF (Gary) mentioned.

I can't mill right now but I can at least clean up the slabs out back and get next Winters fuel cut and stacked.

Frank_Pender

Man, that looks like work.   Remember, Paul, you are about 20 years younger than me.  You still have lots of spit and vinegar. :D
Frank Pender

DanG

This thread reminds me of my sticker jig...same thing but on a smaller scale.  I just took one of those L shaped slabs the MD sometimes leaves and nailed a board across one end.  I set that closed end on the ground and put the open end up on a stump so it sits on a slant.  Then I made cuts with the chainsaw at appropriate intervals for the length stickers I want, on the vertical part of the slab.  I put it right next to the mill, so when I cut a 1x1 strip I just pop it right in there.  When it's full, I take the chainsaw to it and in about 30 secs, I have 50-75 stickers.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

DanG, I save all of the 1" fall down that can make a 4' board, or better.  I then take them all to a chop saw for trimming.  Once I acquire about a 3' high pile on a pallet I take the load to the Woodsop and run them through the tablesaw.  A load that high on the pallet fills up three 50 gallon drums, for storing the the stickers until needed.  I have a stand that holds four drums full at a time.
Frank Pender

GF

Quote from: Paul_H on January 05, 2006, 08:06:03 PM
I went and built a couple of jigs like GF (Gary) mentioned.

Almost identical to mine, looks good.  I think they will work fine for you. 

GF

Paul_H
    Might also want to tie both ends of those X's at the bottom.  If you get alot of weight they will start to spread out. 

Paul_H

I was wondering about that,maybe I'll put a couple chunks of chain across it.

WH_Conley

DanG, my WM doesn't give me an L shaped slab. Does that mean I have to buy another mill?  8)
Bill

Todd

here's the set-up I use for the slabs....just pile 'em up and slice them in two

Todd

karl

Paul
How come there's no white stuff on the ground there? Instead of an X, all you'd see here is a V!!!
How big's yur house? You a good cook? I'm searching Mapquest- be there in a week!!! ;)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Paul_H

I'll leave one of those X's laying on the ground so it shows up on the map  8)

We have had no snow whatsoever in the valley here and the grass is turning a little green from all the warm rain. The mill yard is mud right now and I can't get the truck out past the gate so we built the jigs back at the house and will pack them with the Case.

I like the fact that we're not waist deep in the White stuff but it is a bit spooky.Even 10 years ago,4' - 5' was expected in the valley and in the early 1970's they had up to 7' on an average year.

Come on out,there's lots of room and grub!

Thank You Sponsors!