iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gassy

Started by lawyer_sawyer, August 27, 2007, 08:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawyer_sawyer

Hello all,
I have a new son who happens to be a little gassy and not the best burper and was wondering what methods or concoctions you all have used to relieve gas in a small child.
the only thing that has been told to my wife and I that we haven't tried was something called "gripe water" and we are trying to get more information on that before we just start pumping the kid full.
thanks for any help
Love the outdoors, chainsaws, my 300 win mag, my wife and my son but not exactly in that order.

brdmkr

Try laying him on his stomach on your lap.  Start in the small of his back and massage up toward his head.  The pat-on-the-back business never worked with my son.  We had to push it out.

My wife added to rub in circles as you push up.  I forgot that part.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Radar67

Congratulations on your new son.

The belly technique always worked with my daughters.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

brdmkr

Oh, I echo what Stew said.  Congrats on your new son.  Is he your first?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Sprucegum

We used Gripe water on our kids 30 years ago when they got a bit colicy. They are alive and healthy today  8) and that's all I can tell you til the wife gets home.

sbishop

I second the grip water.....stop by the pharmacy and get yourself a few bottles..just follow the instructions!

Congrats by the way!

Sbishop

thecfarm

Good luck.Poor kid,he's in some pain.I had 3 nephews and one grandsaon that way.I use to hate to see them double thier fist up and pull thier little legs up to thier belly.The nephews I could not touch,they were momies boys.The grandson I would move him around and try to get rid of his gas.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tim1234

Lawyer_Sawyer,

We always used a product called Mylicon. 

You can catch some more info at http://www.mylicon.com/

It's too bad those little ones don't come with an instruction manual.  By the time your an expert, your a grandpa ;D

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

Engineer

We've used Mylicon too, when the little wiggleworm wasn't shaking the house with a belch (or worse).

She's 10 months now and doesn't seem to have the gas problem anymore now that we've been feeding her regular baby food for a while.

pineywoods

I know this is gonna sound crazy but it worked on both kids and 1 grandson. 2 spoonfuls of RC cola right out of the bottle, not chilled. Then bounce the kid a few times. Don't even remember who told us this little trick, it's been over 40 years
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Engineer

Quote from: pineywoods on August 29, 2007, 09:30:03 AM
I know this is gonna sound crazy but it worked on both kids and 1 grandson. 2 spoonfuls of RC cola right out of the bottle, not chilled. Then bounce the kid a few times. Don't even remember who told us this little trick, it's been over 40 years

Ain't crazy at all.  It works for ME just fine, I suppose a smaller quantity will work real well for the baby.  :D smiley_bouncing_pinky pepsi_smiley

thecfarm

Gripe water,what is it?Where do you buy it and how do you use it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

asy

Two things, firstly a product called "Enfacol", it's a colic reliever, similar to gripe water, it comes with a dropper, and you just squirt a dropperfull into their mouth as they feed, works a treat.

The other thing is, learn the "leopard hold", it's where you lay the child's tummy onto your forarm, their head in your hand, facing downward, with one arm and leg on either side of your arm, their bum in the crux of your elbow. Or facing the other way around, depending on how it's easier for you. It should look like a baby leopard hanging in the branch of a tree. The thing is, this puts pressure on their tummy, as it rests against your arm. It give access to their back for patting and rubbing... Hope that makes sense...

I used this hold all the time, it also makes it easy to cook dinner while holding a crying child...   ::) :-\ I used to do this hold with their head on my elbow, holding their bottom in my hand. It seems to be very comforting for the child...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

KarenKae

Quote from: thecfarm on August 29, 2007, 08:33:20 PM
Gripe water,what is it?Where do you buy it and how do you use it?
"What's in GripeWater?

The active ingredients in Baby's Bliss GripeWater are fennel, ginger, and sodium bicarbonate. All three have been known to be beneficial in easing nausea and pain due to baby stomach gas and other colic symptoms. Fennel and ginger are also effective for easing the discomforts of infant teething. Baby's Bliss GripeWater does NOT contain any of the following: Gluten, Soy, Starch, Dairy products, Wheat, Yeast, Dill, Chamomile, Alcohol, Parabens, Artificial colors, Artificial flavors, Binders, Sucrose (table sugar), Fillers, Petroleum-based products." from Baby Bliss Gripe Water site.

I Googled grip water. This seemed the best explanation.  It was advertised as available at Walgreens.  But I am guessing any pharmacy would carry something similar.  I really feel for you.  Although my daughter never suffered, I had a friend whose child cried for a whole YEAR.   She finally grew out of it, but their lives were miserable.

Thank You Sponsors!