iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT30 belt guard

Started by jb616, December 01, 2018, 09:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb616

Well, the original belt guard won't fit with the Onan on it now. What i need is advice to help the belt slip when there isn't any tension on it between cuts. The belt wants to grab a bit on the engine pulley and you can smell it burn slightly. I was wondering if I could put longer bolts in the bearing flange of the motor with lock nuts holding the bearing flange and then the bolts extending out past the belt. This might help the belt to stay up and off the pulley when there isn't any tension on it. Any other ideas out there? 

Southside

My 70 has two belt guides that are at about the 2:00 and 7:00 position, they are smooth and are adjusted to be 1/4" off the belt, they extend the full width of the belt best I can figure they force the belt to remain lower to the pulley which keeps it from dragging back down into the pulley and pulling like you are describing.  I will get a picture of them in my manual to better explain it, they are under the guard so a photo of the real thing is all but impossible.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

Don't remember what it's called, but there should be a pin positioned about an eighth [1/8"] from the belt (when tensioned), just after the belt comes around the pulley!  The belt will touch this pin when the blade is disengaged!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

I think the pin or pins keep the belt radius smaller so that is doesnt engage with the engine pulley
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

MartyParsons

Hello,
 The lower cover also helps hold the belt up off the engine pulley.

This picture is from a diesel but it serves the same purpose.
Marty 
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

47sawdust

The part you are referring is available from WM.I don't have my parts book in front me or I would give it to you.You would simply remove the top flange bolt and install the part,adjust the gap to specs and your good to go.It's basically a piece of flat stock with a hole on one end and piece of 3/8'' rod welded on the other end at a right angle.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

jb616

Quote from: 47sawdust on December 02, 2018, 04:10:33 PM
The part you are referring is available from WM.I don't have my parts book in front me or I would give it to you.You would simply remove the top flange bolt and install the part,adjust the gap to specs and your good to go.It's basically a piece of flat stock with a hole on one end and piece of 3/8'' rod welded on the other end at a right angle.
just called them up and ordered it. No sense in trying to reinvent it for $15. Thanks!

sparks

\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!