iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade degree

Started by moandrich, December 02, 2012, 07:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moandrich

We were looking at blades we sent in to be sharpened.  Cant tell the difference between 4 and 10 degrees. any pointers
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

bandmiller2

You should be able to tell the differance looking at boath side by side,4 degree is almost perpendicular wile the 10 you will detect considerable hook. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

John Bartley

I sharpen my own, but .... I set up the grinder using one of these : http://www.busybeetools.com/products/PROTRACTOR-MACHINIST-M024.html and I also use it to check blades that I sharpen for others.

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Chuck White

I've never paid much attention to the hook (or angle), but I sort of assume that the lower the angle, the closer to 90° the back edge of the blade and the face of the tooth become.

In other words, if the hook was 0°, the face of the tooth would be 90° to the back edge of the blade!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jcbrotz

Depth/shape of the gullet is the biggest difference on these blades, I got myself one of the new blade angle guages from woodmizer after my last sharping shipment.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

ladylake

If the back of the wheel get rounded too much it is hard too tell the hook angle as it starts to curve near the tip of the tooth. Softer wheels need to be profiled often to keep the face of the tooth looking like a new blade. 4* blades cut hard woods straighter than 10* blades do, it's the hook angle that matters not the gullet as when I sharpen my new 10* blades at 4* the gullet is real close.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Papa1stuff

WM has a great little tool to check for all the different degree blades! ;D
And it is does not cost too much!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

terrifictimbersllc

Last time I asked, they weren't selling that blade guide any more.  I've learned to tell the difference easily between 10's and 9's, and if I have a 4 or 7 that is out of its box I put a colored tie strap on it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

pnyberg

There was an add ad for the blade gauge somewhere not too long ago (WoodMizer Way?).  I ordered one in October.  Part #065691.  Cost $15.00.  I just checked, and this part # still works in the online parts store.

--Peter
No longer milling

drobertson

Not sure how many  blades you have on hand, but I would say just start sawing, they all will cut for sure.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

moandrich

WM number worked, ordering a guide now, thanx.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

Thank You Sponsors!