iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Radiator hose

Started by loggerman1959, October 28, 2019, 02:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggerman1959

I have a 1978 international S8A skidder , which has developed a hole in the lower radiator hose . It's a 3 inch diameter off set hose , which I have looked everywhere for with no luck . Any of you folks have any idea where I could look for one ? Its beginning to get frustrating,  as no one seems to carry anything like that .

sealark37

There is a guy over in Plattsburgh that deals in military trucks and forestry equipment.  He may be able to match a hose that will work.  You probably need to take the old hose with you when you search.

loggerman1959

mike_belben

Build a metal offset from sched 40 or copper plumbing, connect the ends with rubber straights and never deal with this obsolete part issue again.
Praise The Lord

loggerman1959

Will schedule 40 work on a cooling system mike ?

mike_belben

Has been in steam heated factories for a few centuries now so id reckon so. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

Mike - would aluminum exhaust tubing work?  Could have a shop bend it to what he needs right up to the connection. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

donbj

I would think even 3" muffler pipe would work. Could get it bent or welded how you want. Cooling systems only generate 15-20 psi anyway. As mentioned, connect with some straight rad hose.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

thecfarm

I replumbed a '76 Ford radiator. :D  Used 2 or 3 inch copper. Pricey. Sch 40 would of been cheaper,but was not on the FF than. ;D The inlet and outlet was on the wrong side.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

loggerman1959

Thanks for the input fellas , I'll get some schedule 40 and get to work

mike_belben

Any metal tubing would work.  Hi temp pvc will also but i cant say about the glue.  My friend used pvc for his 125 psi shop air compressor but its not at elevated temp so the only reason i didnt suggest.

Use whatever is cheap that'll make a good hose connection.  Sch 40 and 80 are thick enough to chuck stubs in a lathe and turn hose barbs or nipple ends into them for clamp integrity.  Its worked for the water pipes on the water to air intercooler i fabbed for my IH for like 40k miles with no issue. 
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

My plumbing job held on that copper pipe,never cut any grooves in that. Just run the rad hose over it and clamped it. That held for years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

FWIW the top radiator tubing for a John-Deere model A  is nothing but steel tubing about as thick as electrical thin wall conduit .It might rust out in 60 -70 years .

bushmechanic

Here's one I fabed up because I couldn't find what I needed!

Al_Smith

I looked at flea bay .It has some 3" stuff with some creativity might work.

Thank You Sponsors!