iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Nice Cherry Log

Started by levans, November 29, 2012, 06:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

I have seen some people do the felling cut in the manner you are describing, making the back cut slanting down at about a 45° angle. To my eyes, that is a deceptive and dangerous cut, won't help you a bit. If you guess wrong and the tree settles back, that piece of wood is not going to keep it from going over backward, and putting wedges in it is not going to help anything either.

I'm not trying to be mean to you, you are not the only one to cut trees this way. It's just a false sense of security you are using there, I think. In my opinion, a back-cut should always be approximately parallel to the horizon, and so should one of your two face cuts. The other of your two face cuts (to form the notch) can be either cut down at an angle from the top, or cut up from underneath (western style). The two horizontal cuts, in most cases, should be matching one another in height, or the back cut can be a little above the front cut.

Oh, and we are discussing this also in another thread right now. I think it's called "the proper way to fell a tree" or something like that.  ;)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!