iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New machine(s)

Started by woodbeard, August 23, 2005, 08:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbeard

I now have my new (used) woodmizer back safely at home, and a new computer as well. Among other problems, my old computer had ceased to believe in USB ports, rendering my camera useless. I spent most of yesterday recovering from the 2 day trip to Unadilla, NY. I started out Sat. AM and spent most of Sat night driving further up the interstate searching for a motel with a vacancy.  They were booked solid from Wilkes-Barre thru Binghampton out to Oneonta, so I ended up camping in that most american of campgrounds... the Wal-Mart parking lot. :D Next morning, bright and early I met the seller at his place, and he gave me a quick run-through of the mill. I was still groggy and sleep deprived, so I just watched. ::)
Got back Sun night around 1:30.
Well, here she is:

TN_man

I am glad that you made the trip safely. I know you must be anxious to try the mill out.
Let us know how you like it. :)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Gilman

Woodbeard,
That's a nice looking machine.  Looks pretty new too.  What year is it?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Paul_H

Quote from: woodbeard on August 23, 2005, 08:00:54 AM
spent most of Sat night driving further up the interstate searching for a motel with a vacancy.  They were booked solid from Wilkes-Barre thru Binghampton out to Oneonta

Had a similar problem Saturday night heading North on the I-5 in Washington state.I'm glad you made it back in one piece,nice looking machine.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Gilman

Paul,
I didn't know Washington had any WallMarts at the north end of I5.  :D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

woodbeard

QuoteWoodbeard,
That's a nice looking machine.  Looks pretty new too.  What year is it?

Well, the top part is a '92 lt30, and the bottom part is a '02 lt60, and the motor is a '97 Onan 24hp. You should see the stack of manuals that came with it! :D Boy, it's gonna be fun getting parts for it. But I'm used to that with the vehicles I've cobbed together over the years. ;D

I've been out clearing a path to back it into where I had the Peterson set up, and still have a pile of logs to saw. And, yes I am itching to get at it! :)

leweee

George.... what did you use for a tow vehicle ???
                Not the yota :o
                 Did a bit of that shopping centre camping myself(didn't care for it much).....got to love the price though. ::)
               Oh by the way, Nice mill....keep use posted on how you like them bells & whistles. 8)

Tell use about the new puter ?
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Tom

You won't have to worry about getting parts.   All that stuff , 'cept the lt60 frame, is readily available.    You won't have to worry about the frame either.  Those frames are very resilient.  Just don't drop it off of the side of a mountain. :D

I told you that you could get it in where the peterson was.  That thing will fit pretty much anywhere that little truck of yours will push it.   Take note of the thread on setup configurations.  You have a great place to saw with that band mill, just make sure you can get it out without moving a lot of wood.  When folks find that you have a mill on wheels, you will be busier than a one-armed paper hanger.

You will also find that the approach to the log wil be much the same as the Petereson too.  The only difference is that you can now turn the log.  That is an option that is a benefit sometimes, even though it's a "grass is greener on the other side of the fence", thing.   There will still be times when you wish you had the swing mill, but, the creation of those deck boards is going to go so fast now that you will have to put a rocking chair on the porch to have something to do to use up the rest of the day.  :D :D

Learning how a band saws is going to be your only real curve.   Don't crowd it too bad, but, make it work.  Keep it sawing just under the engine bogging point and it will take apart most woods quite accurately.

Wish I was there.  I get the "new sawmill fever" even when someone else gets one.  :D :D

sparks

woodbeard, thought I'd help you out on the bed of your mill. It is an LT40 bed that had a chain turner added to it. The LT60/70 frame had side supports that cam straight up and were round stock with rollers on the end. Thought I'd clarify that for you so when you order parts you'll get the right ones. Don't forget to call us and get the mill registered in our system. We'll give you your own customer number if you don't have one now. If you do have one let us know what it is and who you got the mill from and we'll transfer it from them to you. Since it was biult out of different mills we will put in the system what head and bed it is. There are serial numbers on the head and on the bed. Get us those and will put them in so the right revision is listed.  If you call me I can take carof it for you and get you any manuals you may need.   Thanks and happy sawing.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Furby

The Wally world campground is one of the better ones. Pick a 24 hour one and you have everything you need! ;D

Now I've been wondering.........you are supposed to keep your first board......from each mill right? ;)

Have fun sawing!

woodbeard

Lewee, I borrowed a friend's truck to go get the mill, and I am glad I did. I moved it today with the Toyota, and it was struggling at times uphill. I'm getting an old Ford 3/4 ton truck to tow it around for mobile jobs.
As for the new computer, it is a marked improvement over the old one: it works.  :D

Sparks, thanks for the info. Do you remember this particular mill? One odd thing about it is that the cutting length is just under 16', instead of the usual 16'8" for the lt30. I haven't checked this myself, but the former owner said he had to remove the bumpers from the stops to saw a 16'2" log. I also noticed that the cutting length of the lt60 is 15'11", but I had assumed that that was a result of a wider tower on the regular bed. Now I am really puzzled. ???
Are there any other differences in the two frames, or do the lt60/70 just use different hydraulics in the same frame. I'm thinking of getting a bed extention in the future, so I should probably figure out exactly what I have.
Also, the hydraulic box is labelled "super hydraulic" Is there a difference between the standard and the super hydraulics? The engine at idle barely puts out enough juice to run the hydraulic functions, sometimes you have to pull the throttle cable a little to keep it from dying. I am thinking maybe it needs a bigger alternator?

Tom, I made it thru Pennsylvania without dropping it off a mountain, so I think I'll be OK. :D I'm sure all the parts are available, it's just a matter of keeping track of which sawmill they go to. ::)

woodbeard

Here ya go, Furby:

This is from a butternut log that I just sliced thru and thru just to get a feel for things, and because now I CAN slice a log up like that! ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Nice board.  ;D  Feel different ?? :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodbeard

Yes, the little ridges go straight across, instead of in arcs. Feels very nice! ;D

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Those little straight lines are a marketing ploy.   They replace a carpenters square when sawing boards.  Just follow the lines.  :D :D

'Scuse me, I gotta go shovel some snow now. ;D

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D
You guys! ::)

woodbeard

Hey, why d'ya think I switched to a bandmill? I kept burning up skilsaws trying to cut those curves. :D

sparks

Woodbeard if I knew who you got the mill from I could research it and get you more precise details.  Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

woodbeard

Sparks, I called Woodmizer today and got the account transferred. They also confirmed that the frame of my mill was the prototype for the lt60. I guess it was built before they decided to use the other supports. I still have some stuff I could use your input on, but I'm going to start another thread for that. Thanks :)

Thank You Sponsors!