iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Sayings…...

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 13, 2013, 10:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Not exactly true to letter but maybe spirit of this topic - I worked in Central Africa (Cameroon & Guinea) where they used bush taxis (15 passenger vans with 40-50 people inside and goats and chickens and bananas on top and in Haiti where the most common transport was a Tap-Tap (small pickup with benches in back and a camper shell or inverted bed liner on extensions for rain cover and passenger tapped side to stop where he wanted to get off) and we would always ask

"How many people can you get on a bush taxi/Tap-Tap?" Answer - 1 more.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LaneC

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Man makes plans and God smiles

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Just had to get a Goat on that Taxi didn't ya?  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mooseherder

The Goat was for BBQ when on extended travel.
Or maybe for trading if they ran into a troll demanding a toll. ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Mooseherder on January 22, 2015, 04:03:14 AM
The Goat was for BBQ when on extended travel.
Or maybe for trading if they ran into a troll demanding a toll. ;D

:)

Mooseherder

I'm glad your a good sport. ;)

pigman

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Common sense is so rare these days that it should be classified as a Super Power.

Can I hear an Amen?  :D

red oaks lumber

amen brotha goat amen :D :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Small Slick

Common sense. Amen.  You pray that your employees have it and they act like they are God's gift if they show you a glimmer of it.

John

thecfarm

I will give pigman an Amen for his quote.  :D   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Randy88

"He's got the world by the tail with a downhill shove"   

An older guy I knew as a kid would always say, "all you have is the fun along the way"     

A watched pot never boils.   

I'd only ever heard this one once, "If wisdom was wealth, he's the wealthiest man I know".   

Its raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock.

Grass never grows under his feet.   

One boy is like a hired man, two boys a half a boy, three boys, no boys at all,
my father in law would always say that one.

Beauty is only skin deep but ugly goes all the way to the bone.

Boys and their toys, referring to men and their equipment.

The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys, my grandma always used that one.

There was one my grandma also used a lot and I can't recall exactly how it goes, but something that referred to "he's so good a farmer, he can grow weeds and turn them into gold, but that's not quite right, been 30 years since I heard her say it, anyone know how it goes for sure?

He's as strong as an ox.   

My grandpa would often say, "the older I get the better I was"

Not worth a pinch of salt

So thin they tied a knot in his tail to keep him from falling through the crack in the seat.   

He's so thin, they xrayed him with a light bulb.   

Thin as a rail, referring to skinny market hogs.

He eats like a mouse, referring to eating nothing.    He drinks like a fish, referring to alcohol consumption

He smokes like a factory or he smokes like a stove pipe.   

My daughter has always said, "go ahead smoke that cancer stick, but do it when I'm not around"  referring to cigarettes.   Or "die of lung cancer on your own time" is what one person I've worked for had said to some that smoked while working.   

Be as quiet as a church mouse

He's dead on his feet, referring to being overly tired

Those are a few I'll think of more, my grandparents used them all the time, took me years to figure out what some of them meant.   

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have the body of an Athlete.....
The joints of a 90 year old.......
and the bank account of a Crack addict.

Thanks Horses.  :D :D :D

sandhills

:D :D :D :D :D :D I can't wait to show that one to my wife!

Holmes

I eat and train just like a world class athletes. Unfortunately it's Sumo Wrestlers!
Think like a farmer.

caveman

The older I get, the better I was.
Caveman

Small Slick

I doubt it's an old saying but a good one none the less. My grandma who is 94 told me this a few years ago. "You be good and if your not going to be good then be careful."  "If your not careful, don't name it after me."  It took a minute for me to realize what she just said. Great lady!!

John

4x4American

:D :D  took me a minute too!

Don't whizz on my leg and tell me it's rainin!
Boy, back in my day..

Sprucegum

Quote from: Small Slick on January 25, 2015, 09:59:22 PM
"You be good and if your not going to be good then be careful." 

John

That one slipped my mind...just like it slipped my mind every time my mother said it to me  ::)  :D

WV Sawmiller

Saw it again by some on this forum but good one:

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and vigor every time.

(Story with it when I first read this was old farmer caught a bunch of young college co-eds skinny dipping in his pond. They swam to the far side away from their clothes but said they would not come out till he left and called him a dirty old man for spying on them. He told them he was not spying, he came down every day about this time to feed the alligator.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandhills

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Old or new, I have never heard it.

I have a State Trooper that helps me on his days off. He told me a story about the "boyfriend" his daughter brought home one evening.
He was talking about the kind of teenager that puts the rings in his ears to make big holes, pierced chin and tongue with metal balls showing, wires running through his nose, hooks in his scalp and eye brows........

My helper described him as SOMEONE WHO HAD FELL FACE FIRST INTO A TACKLE BOX!  :D :D :D :D :D

Thats when I had to just turn the mill off.....I was rolling!

This young man no longer dates this Trooper's daughter.  :D

thecfarm

We had them show up at work with all the rings and such. I told one of them I  could use him for a cantdog. There was a couple there that understood what I meant.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Poston
I've used that line a lot the last few years. Get some interesting looks when they hear it... be it a he or a she.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I had never heard it until now....still laughing!  :D :D :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!