iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 40 hyd slow head

Started by brooksmill, March 29, 2013, 02:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brooksmill

Had not run mill all winter and started sawing logs today. Head was slow going thru log and sometimes stop. Fine in reverse. Noticed mouse around mill and went up thru post to controls. Took side panel off and mouse nest was there. Cleaned out and didnt notice any wires chewed.  HELP

Chuck White

Mice can really be a costly critter around a mill!

When I move my mill into the garage for the Winter, one of the first things I do is remove all the shields and guards.

Through the course of the Winter, I do a complete alignment on the mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MartyParsons

Check power feed belt.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm not saying you did not do this, so please do not take it wrong.  :)

If a mill has been sitting that long, I would take a good hour and take all the metal guards off and do a top of the line inspection on everything. Clean out sawdust, spider webs, mice nest and anything else that needs cleaning.

I'd wipe everything down with ATF and inspect all my belts and chains with a fine tooth comb.

Grease all fittings and put in new gas or diesel.
Personally, I would change the oil and put on a new filter.

I know this may seem a little over kill to some people......but some operators just walk out to the mill and turn the key after months and months of it just sitting.

The worst thing that can happen to a mill, is lack of use.

And like I like to say after a reply like this......"This is what I do".  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

learner

I'll bet your not as bad as me Poston.  I use a leaf blower to dust off the mill after every log and clean the rollers and lube ports with an air compressor.  It only takes a couple minutes while a new log is being loaded on the mill.
A mill is a finely tuned machine and should be treated well.  Leave it parked for awhile and it needs to be cared for before using it again.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 29, 2013, 08:18:28 PM
I'm not saying you did not do this, so please do not take it wrong.  :)

If a mill has been sitting that long, I would take a good hour and take all the metal guards off and do a top of the line inspection on everything. Clean out sawdust, spider webs, mice nest and anything else that needs cleaning.

I'd wipe everything down with ATF and inspect all my belts and chains with a fine tooth comb.

Grease all fittings and put in new gas or diesel.
Personally, I would change the oil and put on a new filter.

I know this may seem a little over kill to some people......but some operators just walk out to the mill and turn the key after months and months of it just sitting.

The worst thing that can happen to a mill, is lack of use.

And like I like to say after a reply like this......"This is what I do".  :)

Me 2 smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: learner on March 29, 2013, 08:39:12 PM
I'll bet your not as bad as me Poston.  I use a leaf blower to dust off the mill after every log and clean the rollers and lube ports with an air compressor.  It only takes a couple minutes while a new log is being loaded on the mill.
A mill is a finely tuned machine and should be treated well.  Leave it parked for awhile and it needs to be cared for before using it again.

Read some of my first post. I have an Echo leaf blower I use all the time. Probably the best tool I WE have.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

learner

:D I hear you poston!  I love my leaf blower.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

trapper

I bought a leaf blower to clean my mill because of this forum.
Lots faster and easier than an air compressor.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

brooksmill

Thanks for all the good advice.  Marty" I bought this mill from yu (used) and I did check the belt and was OK  Replaced it last year.  The contacts look pretty dirty  Thinking of spraying elec contact cleaner and see if this helps   THANKS ALL

MartyParsons

Hello,
The forward feed works in Reverse. The power is a direct connection from the Drum switch to the PF motor. On Forward feed the power goes from the drum switch then to the power feed board. The power feed board controls the ground through the PF module. You can check the lights on the module. OV over volt  OL over load, In Out light change with the variable speed switch.     
If you need help let me know.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

WH_Conley

When checking the drive belt look to the small pulley on the drive motor. That pulley wears out on my mill faster than any other part. Sawdust is abrasive, the belt may be tight but the groove can be worn too wide for it to get proper traction. If the belt is leaving the bottom of the pulley shiny, replace it.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!