iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

518 slow

Started by coxy, April 25, 2013, 07:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

are all or just mine real slow going up hill it will spin the tires so the trannys not sliping its like it runs out of power/fuel  but keeps going but real real slow the fuel pressure is in the green so thay say its ok ? could the muffler be pluged ?  some times on a cold start there is a little carbon that comes out of the muffler     any way to tell if some one turned it down if so how would u turn it up to get more fuel      its an 81   hope all can under stand what i am trying to say :) i dont know if i under stand :D

log cutter

Do you have your tire chains on? They will slow the machine down. You can turn the pump up its not that hard. I would check the air filters first, inner and outer one. As far as the muffler being plugged never heard or had one that did.
Timbco 475E

John Woodworth

Try putting some ATF (automatic trans fluid) in the tank, dextron or type F either one will work, use it as a carbon blaster and injector cleaner.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

coxy

Quote from: log cutter on April 25, 2013, 11:35:43 AM
Do you have your tire chains on? They will slow the machine down. You can turn the pump up its not that hard. I would check the air filters first, inner and outer one. As far as the muffler being plugged never heard or had one that did.
yes i have all 4 chains  my be its just me always haveing  a standerd shift       thanks

coxy

Quote from: John Woodworth on April 25, 2013, 12:01:28 PM
Try putting some ATF (automatic trans fluid) in the tank, dextron or type F either one will work, use it as a carbon blaster and injector cleaner.
for got about atf thanks

kiko

Don.t know a lot about this skidder . 3304? Turbo or natural. Your problem sounds like a loss of boost pressure or as stated earlier a lack of air. If this is the case when under a load and going up that grade you should see a black smoke. If it is loosing power and there is no smoke then you have a fuel issue.

log cutter

Is it a 50s model or a 94u model? Cat change from 50s to 94u right in there ,don't remember exactly when the did,

Timbco 475E

Timbercruiser

Quote from: John Woodworth on April 25, 2013, 12:01:28 PM

People used to use ATF for that for years now guys tell me the new ATF dosent have the same stuff in it to help with that ?? Im not sure :o

coxy

Quote from: kiko on April 25, 2013, 04:57:49 PM
Don.t know a lot about this skidder . 3304? Turbo or natural. Your problem sounds like a loss of boost pressure or as stated earlier a lack of air. If this is the case when under a load and going up that grade you should see a black smoke. If it is loosing power and there is no smoke then you have a fuel issue.
turbo 3304  no black smoke  thanks

coxy

Quote from: log cutter on April 25, 2013, 07:06:27 PM
Is it a 50s model or a 94u model? Cat change from 50s to 94u right in there ,don't remember exactly when the did,
50s

mills

My "86" does the same thing, but boy does it have a lot of lugging power. At times I think its going to stall out, but it keeps pulling. It acts the same way when I try to pull too large of a load.

logloper

Had same problem before. Find your manual priming pump. Its below and to the left of your fuel filter. On the bottom of the pump is a sediment bowl. It should have a nut on the bottom casted into the bowl.  Put a wrench on it and take it off. Inside is a screen. Clean it and wash out the bowl. You only have trouble with this under load, like going uphill. If its clean, pull your air filters and run the skidder uphill. If it runs fine, you need new air filters. This will narrow you down on possibilities.   I have all the books if you need to investigate further. Good luck.

log cutter

Also check where the fuel line enters the sediment bowl. Some time needles get in there and restrict the diesel flow.
Timbco 475E

coxy

Quote from: logloper on April 25, 2013, 08:37:52 PM
Had same problem before. Find your manual priming pump. Its below and to the left of your fuel filter. On the bottom of the pump is a sediment bowl. It should have a nut on the bottom casted into the bowl.  Put a wrench on it and take it off. Inside is a screen. Clean it and wash out the bowl. You only have trouble with this under load, like going uphill. If its clean, pull your air filters and run the skidder uphill. If it runs fine, you need new air filters. This will narrow you down on possibilities.   I have all the books if you need to investigate further. Good luck.
does the sleeve metering injection pump have the sediment bowl in to i cant seem to find it in my book  but will look at skidder in the am    thanks for all the info every one

coxy

Quote from: log cutter on April 25, 2013, 07:06:27 PM
i think thay changed the models when thay changed the cabs around 82-83

Rob-IL

The one I had (1986 518 Grapple) acted the same, I even had the HP turned up by Cat and it was still sluggish compared to other skidders. It would never completely stop but it would be nearing snail speed and burning alot of fuel while doing this. Great for pushing trees though!!!
I grew up around logging but chose to be a heavy equipment mechanic for several years. Later in life my interest changed so my cousin and myself went into logging on our own in 1988.

wetdog

If the tires are spinning while going up the hill and your rpm's are staying the same, then the only problem is traction not engine. If your not spinning and rpm is staying the same then you should check the oil level in the transmission. If engine is bogging and blowing black smoke but fuel pressure is still in the green your not getting enuff air.

coxy

found its sickness the first 2ft of fuel line from the tank was too small it had #4 line and needed #6 now the fuel pressure is all the way in the green  not part way  thank for all the input

Thank You Sponsors!