iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

john deere 5310, any good for firewood?

Started by b11lefevre, January 05, 2010, 06:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b11lefevre

My old man's looking to replace his ford 5000 that had a loader.  We use a tractor for smaller firewood jobs and when people don't want skidders.  We're gonna get a farmi winch also, just wondering how this model might fair in the woods.  It would probably end up pulling 50 cord a year.  We've done the tractor thing for as long as I can remember with everything from a farmall M to a 4wd 80hp allis with a winch.  Just don't want to see him spend 20 grand and it's a piece of junk.

beenthere

If it is one with 4wd, should be good for your Dad.  Shouldn't be junk if painted green.  ;D

Are you trying to talk him out of it?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4genlgr

i bought my 990 JD MFWD new in 2004 with a 351p frami winch on it and have pulled alot of wood with it. really wanted to go with 50hp but money was a factorand at that time the 990( itis numbered different now) was all steel fenders and tank the tank is up behind the driver so its really hard to knock a hole in it some of the lines are in danger spots you already have played with tractors inn the woods so ......
5310 4wd with a farmi will pull all the firewood you need goodluck 

wi woodcutter

A 5310 would be sweet machine for pulling out 50 cords a year. :)

If it was 4WD, had tire chains and a Farmi winch that would make it that much better.

Maybe look into some guarding/screening for front and bottom.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

b11lefevre

We're looking at getting a farmi 501 for it.  Four wheel drive and a loader would be a must also.  He was on a kick that he wanted a 65-75hp tractor but I was thinking that 55pto hp would be plenty.  He's got a timberjack 205 with the ford motor in it which is right around 55hp now and that pulls fine, I just thought that a 55hp frame would be a little better for maneuvering and still have enough power.  I will probably end up making some skid plates at least for whatever he gets.  I'd love to run chains but with my luck I'll catch a branch in one and have it come around and knock me out, but time will tell.  I just didn't know if those models had any notorious problems or things to watch out for.  Sucks, in the northeast tractors are hard to come by unless you want to take a long ride and burn a lot of fuel looking at others. 

wi woodcutter

A loader would make cutting firewood easy.  :D

If you got forks or maybe even a grapple set up for it that would nice.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

timberfaller390

I log with a 5103 2x4 with a loader and I have no complaints. I do all my logging here in the mountains and 2x4 has not been a problem. I will say if you have the chance for 4x4 then go for it.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

WildDog

Can't comment on the 5310 but I can't fault my 5510 with FEL unlike a similar size 2yr old Case at work .
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Look to see where the hyd filter is for the tractor and the hook ups for the loader.Some JD models are down low.Right where a stump or rock can break them off.Some guy daughter at work have one.They have break off the filter twice that he told me about.Yes,there is a shield that can be bought to protect that stuff,but you have to buy it.By the way I would think a 55hp timberjack would out pull a 55hp JD too.A timberjack should out weigh that tractor by a few ton.If buying new insist on 8 ply tires,loaded.Those 4 ply will not last.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tughill

I have 5205 mfwd, excellent machine, the hyd. filter is near the hyd controls inside the fender to the right of the seat, this machine should be the same or similar, so no issues there.  I don't pull logs with mine, and it depends on what kinda logs you cut for firewood.  I've been burning old ash out of fencerows that the butt logs are around 40+" diameter, and probably a bit heavy for the small deere.

What transmission does the 5310 have?  Mine is syncreverser...meaning it's standard shift, but low and reverse are synchro, so fast shifting doing loader work. 1-4 on right hand stick (non synchro), low, high and reverse on left hand stick.  easy to get on and off w shifters to sides of seat.

Good luck
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."- Thomas Jefferson
Local Farmer here won 10$ million in the lottery, when asked what he was going to do with his winnings, responded, "Keep on farming until that's all gone too."

shinnlinger

Im just going to state the obvious, there are other tractors out there and you may want to at least consider them. I would make my new tractor purchased based more on the convenience and reputation of a local dealer than particular color.  I bet you can get some screaming deals right now.

My 2 cents.

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Ed_K

Order forestry rated tires, I'm on barrowed time with my 60hp landini.I have ice chains on back and haven't had any problems with brush, i try to keep them tight.
Ed K

bitternut

I have that tractors little brother ( 5210 ) that I purchased new when I retired in 2000. I have a Norse 450 winch mounted on the back. I am very pleased with both and have never regretted my selection. The 5310 has the turbo and 10 more horses than mine but I have never lacked for power yet with what I do. My winch pulls whole trees at just above idle with no problem at all. I have mfwd and loaded 28 x 16.9 tires on the rear. If its in good shape it should make a good woods tractor for you.

treefarmer87

i have a 5310 it is a good powerful reliable tractor but because its a deere if it breaks your gonna pay for it we have pulled tree length 20" plus poplar with ours
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

tughill

I'm not sure what you mean, treefarmer87, when you say "if it breaks your gonna pay for it".  Obviously parts aren't cheap, and a lot of folks here seem to think that Deere's parts prices are high.  Personnally I own, Deere, Cat, and Case IH equipment.  I have owned and worked on Komatsu, Dresser, Kubota, and others in the past.  Deere and Cat are generally speaking, better quality machines than others, requiring less repair/maintenance.  But if you think that Deere or Cat parts prices are high, then you probably have never been to either the Kubota or Komatsu parts counters.  They are unbelievable, not to mention if the machine is more than 10 years old, either of the 'K' brands may or may not have the parts available.  Deere and Cat both, are no problem to get parts for 40-50 year old machines.  Which has a ton of value.

Just my .02$
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."- Thomas Jefferson
Local Farmer here won 10$ million in the lottery, when asked what he was going to do with his winnings, responded, "Keep on farming until that's all gone too."

treefarmer87

o ok we used to have a 955 cat but never had any problems with it a couple weeks ago the gears in my 5310 locked up in the front axle- $2500 repair and that was from a friend not a deere dealer i have always trusted a deere though i have never had a komatsu or kubota you are very right on the quality part on deere and cat 
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

flibob

Had a 5500 new loved it sold it for almost what I paid for it.  Bought a JD 4300 love it with FEL and 4wd will pull any log you want from a lot smaller areas.   Parts are high but go get your toyota worked on.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

woodmills1

most toyotas don't need but tire rotation and oil.  wish my chevys didn't bark for parts like my toyotas don't
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

treefarmer87

this is completely off the subject but speaking of chevys, went to fix the carberator on my loader today and had my pickup parked near the loader and a nice pine was laying across the hood thanks to all the ice we have been having now i need a new winshield and passenger window
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!