iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Farm Location

Started by Magicman, January 13, 2010, 08:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I didn't want to hijack Kevin's "Cedar" thread.  I asked a question concerning the map location indicated in his profile, and then got the notion that I might could move mine to show my tree farm. (temporarily anyway)

My cabin is in the NE corner.  The white line is the driveway.  The open land (3/4 mile) West of the cabin is now planted SYP and Oak.  The heavy timber South of the cabin (1 mile) consist of mixed hardwood.  The tree farm is 346 acres.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

With a little lot of help, I how have a postable map of my tree farm.  It's odd shaped, but a lot has happened since my great-granddad bought it in 1899.  It originally was about 720 acres.

The boundries aren't squiggly, just my hands.... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

looks kinda like Texas.  :D

Magicman

WDH

Don't get the Texans started  :D.  The next thing you know they will think that we are trying to make them put beans in their chili   ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

We don need no stinkin beans in our chili.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Now that's a spread I could work on. Doesn't appear to be a lot of relief to the land, just judging by shadows. My woodlot wouldn't change 10 feet in elevation. I don't like steep side hills to work on. That was a plus on this farm, all the woods were easy to get to. Although, it makes for nice scenery on trails along stream bottom land in them wide gullies.

We always cut wood in the winter mostly and we never got to a lot of areas because we weren't in a hurry and dad liked working close to a field since he never built woods roads. Dad looks at how some loggers cut wood now a days, especially the way they cut on the farm and he always said those guys don't know how to cut wood the proper way. But, production/price drives a lot of the methods used. Dad had an 850 acre farm. I retained about 70 acres of the woodlot from the farm sale. Mom's dad always dreamed of a huge cattle herd grazing on the upper farm because it was so flat, like prairie. I always dreamed of butternut trees growing on it, of all things. Start a butternut orchard. :D

I think I'll make a sign, declaring my woodlot a sustainable working forest, just so the locals have a target to shoot up and knock down. Well, that's being honest. It's exactly what they would do in these parts. I kind of feel like Tom, but I don't need someone else's sign to be proud of my land. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

That's a nice lookin' spread MM  8)  8)  8)

Been in the family a while too.

Lookin' forward to some pics of your managed lands
Why not just 1 pain free day?

OneWithWood

Good job, Magic.

If I could roll my property out flat I might get closer to you in size  :D

Enjoy what you have and manage it well.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Magicman

I got a little update.  This picture shows the approximately 200 acres (in yellow) that I lease for recreational purposes.

This plot has been leased by my family since the early 50's.   I'm the caretaker for the non-resident landowner.

Tom

Now, it's starting to look a little bit like Arkansas.  :-\

Arkansawyer lives right there in the right side of that Oklahoma looking tag at the top.

Magicman

I have to dodge around his sawmill on my way to the "back" deer stand.  The food plot is that little light brown spot in the middle of that Oklahoma looking tag.

My wife's plot is in the center of the whole place.  (but she lets me hunt there)..... :D

Looks like these pictures were taken shortly after I had disked the plots.  I have now added a couple.

thecfarm

How are all you guys doing that with the views and the red lines?I have a google map of mine land that I made up.Real interesting to look at.I bought back about 7 acres of the old farm and cut about an acre right off the corner so we could see the lower end of the field.The pasture I'm slowly claiming back beside the house will make the view above look differant too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom

I don't know how Magicman is doing it, but it looks like he did a screen print of the map and created a jpg photograph.  Then he is using paint, or one of the other photo programs to draw lines on it, much like adding text to a picture.  If he isn't doing it that way, It could be done that way.  :)

SwampDonkey

Yup, and some one with that planimeter link to Google can get the acreage to make sure he's not over on the neighbors into his 25 acres. ;D

Me, I'm spoiled. I have access to free property boundaries and aerials. Just load them up in a commercial program or fGIS, a free GIS map program from Minn DNR.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

SD, you mean this?   http://www.acme.com/planimeter/

thecfarm,  Tom hit the nail on the head.....except I had a little big "Bird" helping me..... ;D ;D ;D

mad murdock

Nice job MM.  As for Texans, when I was an Alaskan, once in a while a Texan visitor would comment on the size of Alaska, "Wow, Alaska really is a BIG place"!  I would reply, "yup, and if you Texans are'nt careful, we will divide alaska in 2 and make Texas the 3rd largest state!  ;D  Kidding aside, Texas is not a bad place, I did my missionary service there, once upon a time, it has alot of variety, from coastal swamps to pine forests, to desert, and tons of farm land inbetween it all.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

I've driven across Texas 60+ times.  The sun will rise and set and you will still be in Texas.

We were in Alaska in June and July, 1997.  It's so big that the sun didn't even set..... :o :D   And we loved every minute of it !!!

SwampDonkey

I drove across Ontario 2 times, it took 2-1/2 days to reach the neighbouring province.  ;D Drove across the Prairies in one day. Texas ain't so big. ;) :D

Magicman

We've really enjoyed visiting each of the Canadian Provinces.  They all have something to offer, and most are big.

groundguy

Looks pretty *DanG fine Magicman,,,  ownership is a true privilege!

Making progress on the TJ550, out there yesterday, checking and topping up fluids etc.  The website I was directed to for the Eatons Axles was really a good find, downloaded a 28 page pdf with awesome detail etc for free!

groundguy

fishpharmer

Nice looking place MM.  Now I know where to go hunting ;) :D

You know I'm joking.

Do you periodically take out dead and damaged mature trees?  Seems like a never ending process for me, but its usually a low priority. 

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

I normally try to keep a few hundred BF of oak for sale.  No big deal, just as a courtesy to folks who may need a few boards for a project.  Most of the time I end up giving it away.... :)

I try to get the oaks out that die for this and firewood.  Without access to a skidder, those that are along the creek banks and fall/wash in, just have to stay there.... :(   

As you said, it's usually a low priority especially if I have no immediate use for it, or it's going to be a booger getting out. 

fishpharmer

Do you plan on a commercial harvest of your hardwoods?  Seems like mature bottom land hardwoods have all but disappeared in my area.  I am not opposed to harvest.  Just like seeing the big hardwoods ( and hunting in them).

Also, I was wondering if Katrina hit you pretty hard? Although it was weakened we were right in the line of fire.  I still have fallen Katrina trees to clean up.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

No hardwood harvest plans are in my near future.

In 2004 (before Katrina in 2005) I had bought out my Sister's interest in the place and was using a timber sale to close the deal.  The timber had already been marked, bidded, and sold before Katrina.  The timber buyer took the Katrina damage loss.  I, of course, took a loss on the "unmarked and unsold" trees.  I was then able to sell some, and the WM got really busy.....

I have no pine except the open pastures that I planted in the Spring of 2005, and they have really taken off.  I planted 5K Oaks in 2009, and will plant 1K each year in "Hack n Squirt" areas for the next 2-3 years.

fishpharmer

Yes, I would think it would be difficult to imagine the hurricane damage to forest's in the South if you haven't seen it first hand.  Too bad about the loss.  Sounds like your on the right track.  I look forward to hearing about the progress of your hardwood planting in the coming years. 

Magicman

Took a picture out of the cabin back door yesterday looking West.

SwampDonkey

Where are the golf clubs and the tee off? ;D

Nice view for watching deer, and hunting them too I suspect.  ;)

Magicman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 23, 2010, 04:51:33 AM
Nice view for watching deer, and hunting them too I suspect.  ;) 

I watched 11 in that little green patch last Thursday evening.  Yes, very enjoyable and relaxing.

My tree farm reached to the trees in the distant horizon.  In other words, if I can see it.....it's mine..... :)

WDH

There is a hardwood tree on the right side in the background that you can see over the planted pines that has a huge crown.  Any ideal of the species?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Cherrybark red oak.  It's about a 40" "fence row" tree.

The 3 oldest trees on the place are in the 6' range.  Seems like the largest is 75-76"  I keep forgetting and need to re-measure those trees and write it down.  You can see two of them a bit to the right beyond the one that you mentioned.  They are probably 25' lower in elevation.

SwampDonkey

I was figuring it was fence row, after I went back and looked at your aerial view in relation to the camp site.

fishpharmer

Quote from: WDH on January 23, 2010, 08:28:05 AM
There is a hardwood tree on the right side in the background that you can see over the planted pines that has a huge crown.  Any ideal of the species?

Danny has "treeagle eye"

Magicman

If you look at the Satellite view on my "Profile" map, you/I can actually pick out the tree.  That's spooky.  You can see my favorite fishing hole too.... ;D

thecfarm

furby sent me some detailed instructions and I got it. I missed a few corners.I have about 20 acres in fields and 140 in woods.

There is a small field in the woods,about in the bottom middle.Above the field to the left is another clearing,my wood yard,with a tail,woods road really,that trails off to the left.I'm surprised the wood road shows up at all.There is a field on each side of the road.our house is on the left side.Kinda shows up as a white spot.There are 2 white spots.One is our garden.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

thecfarm

Ya might have an arrowhead there.  ;D

That Furby is clever.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

Maybe its because I am in MS ,
Cfarm, but your farm could be made into a sign to "Maine,  head northeast."

Magicman

Clicking on the "Profile" now makes more sense.  It's a pity that we can't superimpose those property lines on there.

It's strange how property lines just evolve over the years and become so irregular.  Our ancestors, etc. followed natural landmarks, creeks, and trails.  Land was added/removed in blocks which makes surveyors happy.

It makes me smile seeing that other folks have odd shaped property also..... :)

GaryinMississippi

Quote from: Magicman on January 15, 2010, 06:44:07 PM
I've driven across Texas 60+ times.  The sun will rise and set and you will still be in Texas.

I had a truck like that once! :D

Actually, I grew up in San Antonio and still call Texas my home.

Thank You Sponsors!