iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewYankeeSawmill, aigheadish and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bibbyman

I seen one fly over at least a month ago.  I pointed it out to a customer and we both agreed it was as early as we'd ever seen one in Missouri.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Mooseherder

Bluejay and female Cardinal sharing some bird feed.

pigman

Excelent picture Glenn. 8)   On first glance I thought the Bluejay was holding a blue worm, but on futher inspection I think the blue worm is just a hook on the bird feeder.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Mooseherder

Here's a couple pictures of the handle/hook. ;)

SwampDonkey

Looks like up in Maine.  ;)

Nice pictures indeed. A blue jay and a cardinal. We don't see many cardinals here and to get the two together at a feeder would be a real treat.  ;D Now if you could get the evening grosbeak, you'd have your yellow. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

They are from my BIL's front deck in Mountain City, Tennessee.

SwampDonkey

Oh. Looked like a fall pic up this way with leaves off the maples and a few softwood mixed in the maples. Pretty nice just the same.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

Female Cardinals are my favorite!  Thanks!  Great picture
Say when

indiaxman1

Great observations from all over....we get the nuthatch/wren/titmouse crowd..all the woodpeckers...and at night, this is the best, the flying squirrels..they love peanut suet..
One of the best aspects of all birds are the songs....someone mentioned the thrasher...they are bold...love those night whipporwills in spring/summer....but the BEST has to be the wood thrush....his various songs fill the forest...makes one smile

thecfarm

My wife had a place about ½ hour from here.She had a pair of cardinals that would come to the feeder.Would hang around all summer and winter.He would go up in the tree right by the house and call for his mate at dusk.Have only seen a few here.That's just about the only thing she don't like here,no Cardinals.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Ditto! to the cardinals being a favorite. Nice pictures.
~Ron

Mooseherder

Here is another Cardinal. :)

Chuck White

At our feeder, we have mostly Chickadee's, a few White Breasted Nuthatches, a few Red Breasted Nuthatches and a bunch of Gold Finches!

We used to get a lot of Evening Grossbeaks and Blue Jays.  I put chicken wire over the feeder about 3 years ago and that has pretty-much eliminated the Blue Jays.  Everything else can get through the chicken wire but those Blue Jays have a hard time of it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mooseherder

An Osprey showed up this morning making a kyew, kyew, kyew racket.
He is perched on a Australian Pine branch that sweeps over the pond area.

Mooseherder

WildDog

On Friday I was inspecting some new area I am taking over at work in the north of the state and while I was walking along a creek I heard some deep thumping noises when I got up from the creek I found this pair. Its rough hilly country which isn't normally indicative of emu habitat, I am used to coming across them out west on the flat country.

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

Nice looking birds.

Not to color your post in a negative tone. But, they also remind me of a fellow who was going to get rich growing emu for meat. :D Kinda like one of them deals you get emails about. The guy selling the emu's to the fellow that got sucked in, is the guy making the profits.  ;D  Anyway, his emu's got away into the woods and never seen again.  :D

pappy19

We had a neightbor about a mile away that did the "emu" thing and got stuck the same way. He got tired of feeding them and turned them loose. A few of them made it over to our neck of the woods. At first they were a novelty to see until they started chasing the kids. We don't have any emu problems any more.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Mooseherder

My wife set up the Feeder with some sugar water for da HummingBirds.
They were around before the feeder went up. :)
I love HummingBirds.
There was quite a few of them coming to it everyday.
She caught me sharpening da saw in da Bird video. ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3juTqM2T6Qo

Burlkraft

It seems waay too peaceful there   :D  :D

Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

The other day I heard this bird and others of it's kind around me making chatter. Turns out they are brown thrashers as I got a good look at one singing. I'm going to call them northern parrots from now on with all the weird noises they make. :D  Then this morning one of those alien sounding bitterns down in the wetlands, they don't even sound like a bird. :D

indiaxman1

Wood thrushes back...best singers bar none........had a rare Louisiana Water Thrush on deck....pink legs....bobs tail constantly...fudge ripple breast like the wood...2nd summer he's showed up

Wick

I remember my dad had a pair of Emu's in a big pen. He got a call from work one day from the elementary school behind our property through the woods saying his Emu's were at the school chasing the kids around the playground. :D. And guess who got to corral them back to the pen? Watch out for those big toe nails!!!  >:(
I had forgotten about that until this post. Now I can hear the never ending drumming sound again. :)
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Roxie

Amish insecticide.  

The three swallow houses have a hinged side with a latch.  They are on pulleys so they can be lowered to the ground and cleaned out after the nesting is finished.  Each box will hold 14 nesting pairs.  These swallows were very active even though a storm had just passed.

The line you see is clothesline which runs from the porch on the house to the roof of the barn.  Pulleys are used there as well.  

Say when

SwampDonkey

What kind of swallows? Tree swallows here will not nest in colonies they get very upset. And barn swallows probably would, but they are scarce here since the freeze up in May 1996 that about wiped them out around here. The hydro wires where always lined with them in migration periods, hundreds. Also, there are not as many barns around for them to nest in, but just the same they would also nest in eves of old houses and build over window sills. Had one once in awhile nest over a light by the door, it was like going and checking for the mail when they were nesting, watching them hatch. :D

There are a lot of bugs them swallows down eat as well. As far as pest flies, bats eat way more.

I've never seen a bank swallow in years, they would nest in the sandy loam on a farm along the Nashwaak River where we used to fish salmon. They were swarming like mosquitoes. When the mayflies were out it was feast time.

Thank You Sponsors!