iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circular saw vs bandsaw

Started by Rob30, September 25, 2018, 05:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob30

Looking for pros and cons for each saw type. I may have access to either. My experience is that a circular saw is larger heavier and more robust, but produces rougher lumber and has more waste. Band saws seem more portable (the one I have access to is not trailer mounted). I will be sawing more in the winter months, I understand this complicates the lubricating system of a band saw. The band saw is only capable of 22 inch cut, but my logs are usually smaller then 22 inch. The band saw also runs off a small engine, where the circular saw runs off a larger diesel. 

moodnacreek

The small band saws that are popular today are nice for clean valuable logs. For hard, heavy production the circle will be better. Both types require skill and careful sharpening but the more iron you have the more you can get away with.

Magicman

Use -32° Windshield Washer for your bandsaw lube.  (-35.5 C or whatever the lowest temp available.) You can also squirt a bit of dish soap into it if you want.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

farmfromkansas

The other thing about a circle mill is the saw marks.  Seems popular for folks to use lumber that is partially planed, so the marks still show, and they only like the circle mill marks.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Gary Davis

in a perfect world I would have both  

Woodpecker52

I had a circle mill before Corley with edger and 671 Detroit diesel power unit.  In fact it is still cutting wood up the road and is great for large logs.  I currently have a new Woodmizer Lt15 which I thoroughly enjoy.  The Corley is heavy duty and you need help in running it at least 3men.  Remember you will be pulling the log(on carriage) through the circle blade which brings about its own unique problems, also circle blade sometimes gets to hot and will warp or cone and needs to be tempered hammered etc. inserted teeth etc.  I have come to love the operation of the bandmill in which a 1 1/2 in wide blade is guided through the stationary Log, I guess the best comparison I can use is like using a two handed crosscut saw (circle) vs using a chainsaw (bandmill).  The bandmill is easier on me, cuts super accurate lumber, extremely fuel efficient, blades are easily sharpened and cheap. The woodmizer brand is also a hell of a good saw well engineered well thought out.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Ron Wenrich

I sawed on circle saws for 30 yrs and didn't have problems with saws.  Saws get hot for a reason.  I normally got saws hammered when I replaced shanks.  That was usually after a few million bf of lumber.  Pulling a log through a saw means you're also placing boards and slabs to the opposite side of the saw, without having to pull it off the top of a log.  Less handling.  I also found log handling and turning to be pretty easy on a circle mill.  

All that being said, I think the question is whether a band saw or a circle saw is right for you.  Winter sawing complicates things.  Frozen logs presents a whole lot more challenges.  The dirt is now frozen on your logs, which means saws won't stay sharp as long.  Partially frozen logs will have sawdust freezing to the unfrozen wood, and that pushes saws.  After logs are frozen, that part of the problem goes away.  But, sawdust will be finer, which means saw maintenance is even more critical.  These things don't change with either a circle or band saw.

If you're looking to being portable, then bandsaws are a good fit.  But, there are also swingblade mills that are very portable.  Swingblade mills can saw wide boards, but that is more labor intensive.  They don't saw real wide on a single pass.  They also deliver an edged board, which reduces the need for more labor or equipment.  There are also add ons to the swingblade mill that allows you to add a slabbing bar which can be used for making slabs.  If you're sawing a bunch of dimension lumber or you don't need wide boards, it may be an option.  You also don't normally turn logs on a swingblade mill.  Check them out as well as a band mill.  Youtube is your friend.

If you're looking for higher production and want to be stationary, a circle mill can be very affordable.  If you're doing high grade logs, a band mill may give better recovery due to the kerf.  Usually, you can break down a log quicker with a circle mill than you can a band mill.  Time is money and those kerf savings also comes at a cost.  You just have to figure where the breakeven point is.    

You have to match the mill to the logs and your markets.  Not all mills will match your needs due to costs, labor inputs, etc.  Its not an easy process, and takes a lot of research.  Just keep asking questions.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

A band mill lends itself to a backyard hobby or a small business, a circular mill requires a mini industrial site where noise is no great concern. A band mill generates much less sawdust than circular. Circular headsaws live a long time one of mine is older than me and I'm in my 70's. Bands are relatively cheap so you can take chances with high value logs from yards. I have one of each and enjoy both, but my heart is with the headsaw. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

DMcCoy

Well, you need both and a swing mill too.  :D

Circle mill for the scratch marks, band mill for the thin kerf, swing mill for any giant logs that you may get.  There is nothing that will replace the look of rough circle sawn lumber if that is important to you or your customers, but makes a lot of saw dust.  The sound of a circle mill is just intoxicating. 

Ljohnsaw

Not mentioned here but I've seen before:  Use a circular saw to break down a big log into a nice cant, then process that on a bandmill (for greater recovery).  So, another vote for you need both. :-X :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

runmca

Quote from: ljohnsaw on September 28, 2018, 10:14:09 AM
Not mentioned here but I've seen before:  Use a circular saw to break down a big log into a nice cant, then process that on a bandmill (for greater recovery).  So, another vote for you need both. :-X :D
This is what I'm doing but on a very small scale. I have a swingblade to cut cants and a 20" woodshop bandsaw to resaw.

Happy Birthday Ron!

Rob30

Thanks for all the responses. Some of the issues people brought up such as stationary vs portable, noise etc, are not issues. We have 300 acres well secluded. We will be processing mostly soft wood, but possible a bit of maple, ash, and white birch. I am not sure at this point what the market will be like. I would like to sell some lumber, but we also like to make lumber for our own projects. 
I may end up with both, the circular mill comes with 3 blades 40 inch to 60 inch and a 22 ft bed. The guy that wants to sell it is pretty motivated and is buying 1.2 beef off us in the fall. He has already said if I want it we will work out a deal to make it happen. He is asking $4000 (Canadian) and it includes a diesel power supply. I am pretty interested, but to put out that money I would have to figure out how to get money out of it pretty quick.
The band saw mill is a small woodland mill that my buddy is buying. It is pretty cheap, but I get to use it for trade for logs. I do believe you get what you pay for, so the cheap band saw mill I am sure will have issues.  

samandothers

Lot of Woodland users here.  A search will probably help with some feedback.  
Never used a circle mill.  I do like my bandmill and the fact it is portable.  Very little waste and easy to operate.  You can go to the wood and leave the mess elsewhere.

4x4American

If you're mainly cutting in the winter time, frozen logs are a pain in the butt on small bandsaws.  Mainly with hardwood, but softwood can be problematic as well.  I think you're better off with a circle mill.  
Boy, back in my day..

Don P

On the smallish logs you are describing how many more boards is a bandmill going to recover vs a circular. The circle is going to put considerably more lumber on the pile at the end of the day. If you have access to the bandmill you can play with recovery to see if it is worth transporting a cant to the band. It shouldn't take long to recover the initial investment at that price. I ran the swingblade yesterday, I do enjoy it but in the end we were running at about 125bf/hr double lapping for wide boards and my shoulder was tired at the end of the day from flopping it around. If we had moved the logs over to my circle the production would have been considerably higher. But if you're making wood and not in the business of making wood it's pretty much all good ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!