iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of finish for a cremation urn?

Started by coalsmok, November 15, 2017, 10:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coalsmok

My wife's mother passed away Monday.  Per her wishes her body was donated to science and we will be receiving her cremated remains after a few weeks.
I volunteered to make a wooden box or urn to bury the ashes in after we get them back.  My choice of wood is either wild cherry or black walnut.  I prefer the cherry since it has been in the house for most of the year and is a little easier to work with and has a warmer color. 
  My main question is what type of finish would last the longest within reason, not that I expect it to ever see the lights of day again but still want to put forth a good effort.  My first thought was a few coats of spar varnish on the outside and a coat of paint on the inside to help seal it up.  Epoxy may be a better choice but I have only used it once on wood and that was a coat of fiberglass resin to seal up a bee feeder that I made.
Does anyone that has made one of these have any pointers?

Savannahdan

This is something I plan to do with some of the wood I've cut and will be kiln drying.  Do a search and you can find the recommended dimensions of the urn needed for the size of person you will have ashes for.  I know of one fellow who did one and he used a jewelry box design but with access through the bottom.  I'm not sure if he sealed it with caulking/glue or just screwed the bottom in.  I tend to like a not so shiny finish on the boxes I do.  I've used Danish oil, spray lacquer and wipe-on poly.  Some folks like the high glossy look which if not done right can show a lot of sanding lines and sawdust left behind.  Look on Etsy and you'll find quite a few urns but be careful since some of them are for pets.  Our condolences on the passing of your Mother-In-Law.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Downstream

Unfortunately, I have had experience with this type of project a few years ago when my brother unexpectedly passed away.  It was a tough but very rewarding effort and it made a big difference for everyone.  I made mine from cherry wood that I had sawed with my mill and air dried.  The finish I used was clear gloss poly over the natural cherry without any stain.  I also carved simple detail info on the top with my router and painted letters prior to finish.  The size was approx 18" x 10" x 10".  The bottom was removable with 4 screws so the mortician could put the ashes into it and then secure it in place.  I did not seal it.  Here is a photo of finished piece.  My mom has already requested I do one for her when needed.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

sawguy21

A close friend did a beautiful urn for my mom. He used a dark stain that faded into light on the center of the top then painted a stain glass window on that portion. The effect is sunlight shining through. He finished it with a flat spray lacquer. My sister won't respond to requests to get it back for Karen's ashes but that's another story. >:(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Peter Drouin

Did the same thing for my brother.

One on the right my brother on the left his daughter.
He had her in a box at his house, I put both in the ground in the family plot.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

coalsmok

Thanks for the condolences.
Downstream that is a very nice job.
The size of this one is not going to be standard as there are a few sentimental things that will be going in the urn with her ashes. I will take some pictures when I am done. Right now I'm waiting to see what all is going in the box.

Bruno of NH

I have made many for my family and i use an oil finish on the wood ones.
Dad was a brick/block mason and would tell me growing up he wanted to be put in a brick up high and dry on a building.
I couldn't do that so i put him in a cement block with a Airforce emblem on it.
All his mason friends liked it :) :)
Made me fell good :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Here is the one that Bruno made/furnished for Andy White.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AlaskaLes

We make quite a few of these for several local funeral services.
They come with either mitered corners or dovetailed corners and all get several coats of Sherwin Williams Sherwood Catalyzed Laquer I think it's "hand rubbed effect".
Dries very quickly and beautifully and we sand in between each double coat.
They get a good double coat inside and lightly sanded for an internal seal.
Ours generally end up in someone's house rather than buried.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

coalsmok

Still needs sanding and finish but here is the assembled urn

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

coalsmok

Here is the finished urn. Three coats of high gloss spar urethane. Made from black cherry a storm knocked down a few years back.

AlaskaLes

Looks really good.
I like the grain in the top piece.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

coalsmok

Thanks for the compliments guys. Always thought that a burial is the last thing you get to do so it should be done as well as you can within their wishes.

That board had some nice grain in it. I cut the urn out of one board between the knots. It was close to the center of the tree so they were small.  If I were doing it again it would probably be linseed oil and beeswax finish.  It's to hard to keep the dust out of the finish with a wood stove going in the next room of the the basement.

tatiana567

Ron Scott

~Ron

Brad_bb

Cherry won't last long if it's around moisture, not that it's necessarily a concern.  Walnut will last a lot longer.  As for finish, it depends on what you are comfortable with and what you want.  A nice flat water based urethane(I like general finish high performance) is nice and doesn't make the wood look like plastic. A flat finish is key. Hard oil/waxes can look good too like oddies oil or rubio monocoat and they are pretty easy to apply.

If it were me, I'd go Walnut with any of those finishes.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!