iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally bought a mill! Bought a Wood-Mizer LT10

Started by Schramm, February 03, 2013, 09:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schramm

Well on the last day of the sale I bought the WoodMizer LT10 with the 10hp engine and 7' of additional track.  It may be here tomorrow as they said that it was going on Friday.  My plans are to be cutting some heart pine and douglas fir barn beams and wanted to thank all that brought up the Norwood Cobaltized sawmill blades, I found some bi-metal blades from Timber Wolf for 1/2 the money but since so many of you like these Norwood blades I will call them and order a few tomorrow.  I bought (50) 12' 10" x 10" Heart Pine Beams from a 1840's barn and will be picking them up on Wednesday afternoon.  I will let you know how things go and shoot some photos of the first beam.  Planning on making flooring for my house to start and mirror frames.

Rob

Slab Slicer

Congrats Schramm, on the mill purchase. It's a great feeling, isn't it? I know it was fo r me. Finally cutting my own logs, and doing some cutting for others.

Now the fun begins. Be sure to post some pics on the build, and some of those first cuts.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

thecfarm

I want to see some more of your frames. Get going.  :D  Congrats on the mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Way to go Rob.   8)

Now that you have a sawmill, life will cease as you know it now.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

rimshot

Quote from: Schramm on February 03, 2013, 09:49:01 PM
Well on the last day of the sale I bought the WoodMizer LT10 with the 10hp engine and 7' of additional track.  It may be here tomorrow as they said that it was going on Friday.  My plans are to be cutting some heart pine and douglas fir barn beams and wanted to thank all that brought up the Norwood Cobaltized sawmill blades, I found some bi-metal blades from Timber Wolf for 1/2 the money but since so many of you like these Norwood blades I will call them and order a few tomorrow.  I bought (50) 12' 10" x 10" Heart Pine Beams from a 1840's barn and will be picking them up on Wednesday afternoon.  I will let you know how things go and shoot some photos of the first beam.  Planning on making flooring for my house to start and mirror frames.
=======
=========================

Congrats to you schraam.  I just got an lt10 also. They are great machines and I just finished up 1100 board feet of Cedar plus another 100 feet of White Pine and Balsam,   I got the 10 h.p also.  I would like to get a little bit of a deflector for the 10 h.p American made briggs to defolect exhaust away from the headmast upright.  The 10 h.p is a great easy startnig engine.  Let me know if yoiu think the mast head goes up  and down as easy AS you thought it should.  Mine is awful tight but I would not trade tht lt10 for anything.  I have had the mill for about 3 or 4 weeks. WM is a great company.

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

schakey

smiley_applause Now the fun begins. Good for you
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

m wood

nice going schramm!  were in the same club now!  getting my norwood in another 2 weeksish, or so.  cant wait either.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

dgdrls

Congrats Schramm!!

The 10 is a dandy mill,  you will be pleased with it
and what it can do. 

there is a strong group here with 10's
lots of support should you need it

best
DGDrls

justallan1

rooster 58

Way to go Rob 8)   Good luck with that new mill ;D

Magicman

Congratulations on the sawmill purchase.  You probably will need some blade lube sawing that heart Pine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Schramm

Quote from: Magicman on February 04, 2013, 07:20:14 AM
Congratulations on the sawmill purchase.  You probably will need some blade lube sawing that heart Pine.

Where do I get the blade lube from?

Schramm

Thanks everyone, I cannot wait to get started on this venture.  I like taking photos of everything so I will defiantly post pictures and videos as I take them.

Rob

thecfarm

Blade lube,from the soap aisle,cascade liquid.
But if you are below freezing window wash.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Schramm

you mean like -32 window cleaning fluid?  Wow that is simple if that is what you mean.

Rob

thecfarm

Magicman and others have it down pat. No pun intended there MM ;D They will be along to give you some ideas.
Magiceman may not be much help with below freezing temps.  :D

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Schramm on February 04, 2013, 08:59:43 AM
Quote from: Magicman on February 04, 2013, 07:20:14 AM

Where do I get the blade lube from?
There are blade lube threads on the forum.  Everyone here has something they use but they are mostly inexpensive concoctions that include things like pine sol, dish liquid or wiper fluid. 

thecfarm

That is the Great Blade Lube dedate.   :D  I would think it would serve the poor guy better to keep out of the Black Hole until he's tried the above first.  ;)

Tree Feller

Congratulations on the new mill, Schramm. The more I use mine, the more I want to be home sawing. It's very addictive and lots of fun, too.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

dboyt

Welcome to the ranks of sawyers.  There's no going back, now.  Too many logs (or in your case, beams) to saw, too little time.  I've seen flooring cut from heart pine beams, and it is beautiful.  Keep us posted on how it goes.  Enjoy cutting the clamps nails beams!  Mark, keep us posted on how the Norwood works out for you.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Sixacresand

Congratulations, Schramm, on the new mill.  I bought one 2 years ago: 10hp, extra track.  Its been fun and lots of work.  Good luck with yours and let us know when you hit a log stop and post pictures.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

justinmay1982

Congrats on your new mill! Hope to have my mill sometime soon. Happy Milling  :laugh:

Thank You Sponsors!