iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Your Input

Started by jwhuntman, November 15, 2011, 08:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhuntman

New to the Forum and joined to ask some questions. I an 52 years old and newly unemployed. When in high school My plan was to be a forester. I am now in college, taking core courses to do just that. My question is will a 56 year old grad be hired in the industry. Is there a certain job skill that would suite someone of my age over other ones? In the job market does the college make a difference. My instate school would be University of Florida. Thank you in advance for any HELP

Magicman

Welcome jwhuntman, to the Forestry Forum, and a pat on the back for moving ahead with your lifelong dream of being a Forester.

My answer to all of your questions is Yes.  I am quite sure that within the next 4 years, you will have joined your local Forestry Ass'n, talked with the Registered Foresters in your area, and have things lined out nicely.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sprucegum

Age discrimination is everywhere; don't let it discourage you and prepare yourself to overcome it. Its easy really, all you have to do is look and act younger than you are  ;)  :)

How?
Stay in good physical shape.
Keep an up beat attitude, smile a lot.
Tolerate your younger colleagues.

Live long and prosper  8)

beenthere

Welcome jwhuntman

Magicman said it well.

A degree by itself will not be a ticket to be hired. The contacts you make and the progress you make while in school and going the extra distance to learn will get the attention of the forestry instructors. Try to get involved with the projects going that the forestry professors are involved with, as a helper or just a volunteer. Become interested in the work, not just an extra hand.
Studying all the material available and doing the homework will be key to a successful 4 years. That will be your chance to show your worth to a company, but a degree by itself won't excite them to take on a greenhorn vs. a younger person. They have to be concerned for their investment in you so specialize as much as you can.  

Wish you good luck and an enjoyable 4 years. It will be a full time job. Hopefully you have cultivated some of your forestry interests over the last 30+ years and can use it as a springboard to a forestry job.
Hope you keep us informed as you progress.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

Welcome to the forestry forum jwhuntman.  It takes some determination to go back to school at 56!  Hats off to you for giving it a go.  I think that if a guy is determined, he can do whatever he sets his mind to, no matter the age.
Good luck in your adventure!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

RynSmith

I can't really comment on the age thing, but I would hope that wouldn't hold any qualified person back.  What I will say is that I think GIS skills are crucial and if I were back in school I'd probably take two semesters worth to be really comfortable/competent with the software.  Also, personally, I believe a broad knowledge of ecology is the best basis for a forester, whether interested in public or private forestry.

:P :P

WDH

I applaud you for going to school.  It will mean more to you now that it would have 30 years ago.  However, just so you know, the job market for foresters is tight now, and the job market for a 56 year old forester just coming out of school will be thin.  It is a tough business with this economic collapse in the real estate, construction, and building industries.  Good luck with your adventure.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

Welcome to the forum jwhuntman,  I say go for it, and you couldn't have found a better place to ask questions, I can't help much but the folks that hang around here can tell you about anything you ever wanted to know  :).  My only suggestion would be that after 4 years of schooling, don't lose your common sense.  ;)

jwhuntman

Thanks for all the input and advise.

Thank You Sponsors!