iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Urban Logging Gloat

Started by MemphisLogger, June 21, 2004, 10:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MemphisLogger

Had to brag on this one . . .

The pictures are of the butt log of the larger of 2 stems--32" x 11'  8)

We're going back to pick up the other butt today--28" x 14'.

We believe it was the county champion--we're checking today.

Can anyone say 28" wide 6/4 slabs?  ;D
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Brian_Bailey

Yeah, I can  :)!  

It goes like this,  $$$$$  8), boy I'm in the $$$$$  8).
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

MemphisLogger

I think I'll be going for value-added on this one, Brian  ;)

The word's already gotten around to other woodworkers and a couple have stopped by just to admire it . . . and inquire as to availability  ;D

I'll most likely keep all the choice slabs for one-off furniture products--maybe a new conference table for my "neighbor" Fred Smith  :)
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Paschale

That's amazing!  I'm a total newbie with this sort of stuff, since I may soon be the owner of a used mill and think the urban logging notion is brilliant!  What do you use to get a log like that back to your mill?  That seems, in my inexperienced mind, to be the real limiting factor in having an urban logging operation, but obviously you've figured it out!

Congrats on a beautiful tree!

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

MemphisLogger

Paschale,

Usually we "parbuckle" the log onto our homemade flatbed trailer using ramps, a snatchblock and an 8000lbs winch on my truck.

Our trailer goes on the front of the truck to allow us to get into tight yards and use the winch.

This cherry log was a real challenge. The homeowner was extremely concerned about the boxwood hedges lining the driveway of his $3million house.

We had to tuck the rear corner of the trailer into a 4' gap in the hedge, allowing us just enough room to roll the first 16" of the log onto the tail of the trailer. From there it was a brute pull with the winch and some skilled log steering on the part of my cousin to get it up the rest of the way. The homeowner was breathing down our necks the whole time.  >:(          

oakiemac

Them some bueaties!!
Not much sap wood either. That's pretty good for a yard tree. Must of been a forested area before they put the house up.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

oakiemac

By the way, did you have to cut them down or did they blow down in a storm?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

MemphisLogger

Thank you Oakiemac!

It was most likely forest land for the first 20-30 years fo its life and then a very well maintained, closed-canopy yard after that.

The tree forked into 2 main stems about breast height. The very bottom part of the trunk and root ball had been rotting for years and the owners had spent thousands to keep it standing with cables.

One trunk finally came down last week in a squall (the 32" diameter side). There was no saving the other side and we picked it up today. It ended up being 30"--about 14' of it sound.  :)

The picture shows our friend Brian roping down the second trunk and you can barely see where the other trunk separated from the base of the tree.

Kedwards

Scott that thing is gorgeous...I am pinkish tinged with envy  ;D
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Kedwards

What are the thickness you are cutting the big trunk section into? I have a large cherry that was just dropped off in my driveway thats about 24" DIB and I wanted to get slabs out of this one instead lucas mill the boards. I was thinking 5/4 flitch cut all the way through for table tops, instruments and such then I start thinking well maybe I should go for thicker..What are you having success at moving?
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

MemphisLogger

Kyle,

Since these logs have virtually no taper and no visible defects, I'll saw them with the pith centered until I have 28" square. Then I'll take full width 6/4 slabs off the two best opposing faces--hopefully 2-3 off each face. When defects start showing on those faces, I'll turn and take 8/4 boards off th remaining clear faces.

Since my main money maker is value-added through furniture making, l always cut for what I want and don't worry about markets.   ;)

That said, I find that thicker slabs fetch higher prices  ;D  

Kedwards

that sounds like a very good idea.

Fla._Deadheader

Have you considered cutting one slice before you square the log??? Leave the natural edge. We have more folks taking natural edge than we do square edge. Got one customer wants natural edge table w/ matching natural edge bench seats. Peel the bark off after you cut the slice. Amazing detail sometimes. We cut 2" thick for tables. Gives ya more to work with to flatten the top.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

MemphisLogger

Oh yes, I will certainly try to get some natural edge flitches--if I can ;D But these logs are BIG and I don't have an oversized homey-mizer like you do  :-[

I am thinking of building a cantilevered mill with some wheels off a 36" Yates-American bandsaw to get a bigger throat for flitch-sawing big Cherries and Walnuts. I also want more vertical clearance for quartering big Oaks and Sycamores.

The plan would be to build the head to that it swings in for towing (saw this on some european sawmill). I'd also put on some telecoping bed rails and uprights to support bigger logs.        

dail_h

Sounds like UL is on to sumpin there. Can see it now him an' DH cobblin together,who knows what could happen.
   Sorta makes my little Norwood seem inadeinadequate
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Fla._Deadheader

Kev, like yer idea, only, how are ya gonna put them logs on the mill, and, how are ya gonna get the quarters OFF the mill???

If ya get an old school bus, one of them 100 kids models, that will give ya all the length ya need. Just drive her onto the site and saw away. ;) ;) :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

MemphisLogger

hey Deadheader!

When ya wanna pick it up . . . . I'll sell it ta ya real cheap  ;D

or we could convert this one for ya . . .

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D  Sorry Kev, neither one is big enough. ::) ::) ;D ;D

Just got a report of a guy that HAS SEEN Big Cypress logs. Going to see him maybe next week. Supposed to be 10 feet in dia.  ::) ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

WOW!
I LOVE cherry!   :D
That's  MIGHTY fine looking log you have there!

Deadheader, 10 FOOT DIA. ??? Can I have your old homey-mizer when you build the one big enough to cut THAT log ??? ??? ???  ;D ;D ;D

MemphisLogger

Thanks Furby!

Sorry to say though that I'm a good 12 hours closer to Florida than you--I get first dibs on that Homey!  :) :D

Fla._Deadheader

UL, I'm REAL tempted to trade ya some Cypress table wood for some Cherry Table wood. Love to have 1 piece about 36" wide X 2" thick, and a couple small pieces for seats. ;D ;D

How far IS it to Memphis, anyways. ::) ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

You're not no 12 HOURS closer!!!! The way I drive, I bet I can beat ya there!!!!  ;D

etat

HECK, I'm just down the road! ;D  If ya was to have too much trouble gettin rid of one of them slabs let me know, I might be interested.  I can be there in just over an hour! ;D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Thank You Sponsors!