iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any Tips on Milling Birch?

Started by mtoo747, April 24, 2019, 08:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtoo747

Any tips on milling Birch? I have a log coming this weekend to mill and haven't cut any Birch before. I'm assuming it's white birch. I have a woodland mills hm126 14 hp mill. I have 7 or 10 degree blades and am thinking to use the 10's. Thanks for any advice.
mike

WLC

I mill it all the time.  It is about the only hardwood we have.  Cuts easy.  Depending on the log you may have stress to deal with, but that happens with any species.  I use a WM LT28 19hp and 7° WM blades.  Local guy mills and dries it and sells about everything he cuts for $8.50 a BF.  Slabs or dimensional lumber.  

What are you planning on cutting out of it.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

rooster 58

mtoo747

Quote from: WLC on April 24, 2019, 09:04:27 PM

Don't know yet what the customer is wanting cut out of it or what he is using it for. 

mart

Quote from: WLC on April 24, 2019, 09:04:27 PM
I mill it all the time.  It is about the only hardwood we have.  Cuts easy.  Depending on the log you may have stress to deal with, but that happens with any species.  I use a WM LT28 19hp and 7° WM blades.  Local guy mills and dries it and sells about everything he cuts for $8.50 a BF.  Slabs or dimensional lumber.  

Same here. I mill a lot of it with the same blades. WM 7 degree blades. My mill is an old LT 30. I use a fair amount for cabinets and furniture.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Thank You Sponsors!