iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT10 Log Clamps?

Started by OlJarhead, October 22, 2012, 02:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Just wondering if anyone has advise on using the Woodmizer LT10 log clamps?  I seem to have a problem with them not clamping the cant flat on the deck.

It seems to take a lot of effort to get the clamp to both clamp the cant flat on the deck (not lifting the clamp side off the deck and tilting the cant) and tight enough to not vibrate loose.

Any advice appreciated.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

beenthere

Sounds like trying to clamp it too tight. Snug should be sufficient and shouldn't vibrate loose.

And be sure the back dogs are still square....  and don't clamp too high up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jemclimber

If they are the same clamps that came on my 15 it's just a bad design.  Same thing happens with me. Not enough pressure or enough pressure and it lifts the cant. They have updated clamps (which I think are the older style) you can retrofit that I hear are better. About $120. I'm going to make or buy new clamps. It's the only thing I don't like about my lt15. YMMV
lt15

dgdrls

I have the new eccentric style and suffered the same issues.
I sanded the cross pipes and that seemed to help with the slipping.
I also do not clamp on bark face,

DGDrls

tyb525

I have the "cam-over" style clamp on my lt10, it is hard to use with small cants. If you apply enough pressure, it tips the cant. If you apply light enough pressure to not tip it, it vibrates loose.

It's very hard to cut small logs under 12" and cants under 6" without something going wrong with the clamp. It's a shame because this mill is great for small logs.

I'd love to see someone come up with a new clamping system, some kind of pipe clamp or spreader bar system. I have used some woodworking bar clamps with limited success in the past.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

OlJarhead

Hmmm....maybe I'll have my neighbor make a bolt type clamp that can swing out of the way.

Something about 1/2" to 3/4" in diamter with a foot on the log end and a sliding rail to move along (like a screw rail) to adjust it and then just fine tune it with the bolt head.

I agree with the last statement:  too light and it vibrates off, too tight and the cant tilts.  I try not to mill anything under 8" (cant) but have done right down to 4".

I find the mill comes into it's own with 9" to 16" cants.

shelbycharger400

I had the same problem with my slabber that I built. 

They can be a pain, but work.  also, If im over or under an inch or so on the opposite side with my screw clamps (threaded rod sharpened to a point) they will climb up or dip down an 1/8th inch or so.    currently they are only 8 inches long,  work ok for 12-16 in dia logs, but they need to be longer to control the shake.   If you can clamp at close to center,  make a few cuts, flip the log so their is a flat on the bunks, reclamp.. no more log shake.    also.. put the bolts on the angle of the square tube, I have yet to fix this issue, they would stay 90 deg and clamp better if they were done.
You can't win.

Clean Image

Hmmmm....ya, spent good money upgrading(?) to the new style clamps only to experience the same issues.
Mentioned it to WM when I was in having some service done... :-X

Would be nice to find a fix cause it's a frustrating issue...

Bill Gaiche

I noticed at a Woodm

izer show earlier this year that demonstrating a LT10 the fellows were having some problems with the dogs. When they set them the log seem not secure enough for them at least that was my observation. It did push the can't up a little also. I know in my mind that they could design a better dog if they felt that people were willing to go the extra cost. It may be they want to keep the cost as low as possible to sell a good machine which will do the job the way it is. I don't want anyone to think that I am slamming W/M that they don't have a good product for they do. I would buy it myself knowing this. Now what I did was to build my own for my home built bandsaw. They work very good for me. They can put a lot of pressure against the log or cant. To date i haven't had them to fail once. I will post a photo I took a little bit ago of what I built and it is similar to one that someone else has in there gallery. Thats where I got my idea, thanks to FF gallery. Is it perfect, no not for everyone but hope this gives you an idea as to make a mod on your machine that makes things better for you. Good luck, bg

francismilker

Having the same issues with my new (3 week old ordered new) LT-10.  I used to have a mill a few years earlier that had some clamps that were homemade.  They worked on the same principle as the existing WM clamp does today in that it slid back and forth on a tube.  The actual clamp wasn't a camlock style though.  It was a screw type clamp.  The reason I feel it worked better though was that it wasn't sliding back and forth on a slick piece of pipe.  It was mounted to a piece of allthread that was about 1/4" smaller in diameter than the clamp's housing.  When you slid it up to the wood and started tightening the screw it bound up good on the rough surface of the allthread and never vibrated loose. 

I've turned several good cants into diamonds by not recognizing this problem and sawing away only to realize the cant was cocked several degrees and not sitting flat on the log deck.

Like others have said, it's a great little mill. This is the only flaw I could complain about.  It's something I'll work around with some home engineering though.  I would still recommend the mill to a new buyer, I'd just try to offer suggestions on a possible fix to the issue.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

OlJarhead

I usually can get the log tight enough to not vibrate the clamp loose but not too tight to lift it but the CANTs I often have this issue with.

I think I'll get a sliding dog made that has two screws: 1.  To stop the sliding dog from moving once it's in place and 2. to fine tune the adjustment.

I think the key is to have the dog go straight into the CANT at no more then 1" in height (so I can mill down to 1" still).

taylorsmissbeehaven

I have the same problem with my lt 15. I have learned to be very careful and double check before cutting, especially on the smaller cants. I would like to see a pic of your mod if it works out for ya! Best of luck with it, also good to hear from you its been a while since I have seen a post from you. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Hilltop366

If I am understanding it correctly, the clamp is not staying in place on the slide.

Could you put a cam lock for the slide to keep it in place so you would not have to apply as much pressure to the log?

Another idea would be to make notches on the top of the slide and have a hole or slot to put a pin in to prevent the dog from sliding.

Just throwing some ideas out there, I have screw locks on my home made dogs it is slow.

OlJarhead

The dog does indeed slide back on the rail it's mounted too -- perhaps a screw lock through the dog into the rail would stop that.

Something I may try.

hackberry jake

Bill, that looks a lo like how ez boardwalks clamps operate. I ordered an extra backstop/clamp set for I think $40. They are pretty reasonable. When I added hydraulics to my mill I cut two of the clamps off. If one of you guys would like to try them out on your mill, I would send them to you free of charge. Just send me a pm with your address.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

swampbuggy

My first mill was a lumbersmith and I created this clamp from a pipe clamp, It worked fast and pretty good for home made. I used the 3/4 pipe clamp end and put a 1" tee over the pipe as a slide. Most of the time I didn't even have to tighten the clamp. Dan
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

OlJarhead

I like it!  That's the sort of thing I'm looking for -- I know I can have those made when I get the trailer done!

Thanks!

5quarter

My mill is a home brew, but my clamp is similar to the lt-10 I think. I use a lever that works similar to a chain binder, but it can push up a small cant or board that's being resawn if too much force is applied. my work-around is to take a 1x2 sticker and slip one end under the bunk, the middle of the sticker over the clamp bar and then bend the other end of the 1x2 under the adjacent bunk. it applies enough down bearing to keep the work flat on the bunks and only takes a moment to do. and its cheap.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Compensation

I have 2 clamps on mine. I put a few drops of tranny fluid in the cam. The only time i had one vibrate loose is when the mill was not level and the head started jumping. Also i never use just one. I use both and have cut down to 1-1/4" from the bed.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Thank You Sponsors!