iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain repairs

Started by old2stroke, December 20, 2015, 03:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old2stroke

When you punch apart a chain, either to repair it or to change its length, do you reuse the same link that you punched out to put the chain back together?  I always use a new link but I have been told that if you can stamp the old link back together and reform the rivets heads, it's just as good.   Is this really safe?
Not too many saws.  Not enough storage space.

HolmenTree

I reuse them all the time and never had one come apart.
As long as the pressed out rivets aren't  too bent so the side strap goes back on .
It takes a pair of reading glasses to make sure the breaker punch  is dead center on the rivet head so the rivets are pressed out straight.
I use the smallest socket in my tool box and a small ball peen hammer to get the side strap back on if its stubborn.
Then flatten the protruding rivets on a anvil with the hammer to form new rivet heads. The head will be smaller then it originally was but will be all you need to keep it together.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Texas-Jim

I always use a new link but thats store policy. I have used old ones many times and never had one fail. If your worried they are cheap to keep few around.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

sawguy21

Willard has likely repaired more chains than I have ever seen, I respect his input. However, although I have re used presets in a pinch I would much rather not. I have had a chain break and try to mate with my leg.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

chevytaHOE5674

I reuse presets all the time on the chains for the processor. Haven't had any fail at the reused links under normal circumstances.

Thank You Sponsors!