iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ideas on how to make a whatzit

Started by Robert R, October 28, 2006, 05:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

I would like to have a bale spike made to go on the back of my horse wagon.  Ordinary ones won't work for me as I need to be able to transfer the weight from the end of the wagon up between or over my wheels.  My wagon is made out of 2x8's so I don't really think I want a 2,000 bale dangling off the back putting all the weight back there, it would do a wheelie or break.  Is there a way to build a bale spike system that could bolt on and pivot from furhter up the wagon so I could pick up and move large round bales?  I need this to be removable and probably will need some type of small motor hydraulic pump to lift it with.  Any input is appreciated.  Thanks.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

VA-Sawyer

Robert,
When you say you need to be able to transfer the weight up and over the wheels, I assume you mean that you are moving the bale up and over the wheels. Is that your intent ? I'm confused because you then ask about using a lift with a pivot further foward on the wagon.  As far as the wagon doing a 'wheelie', it doesn't matter where the pivot is, all that matters is where the weight is, and in your case the weight is the bale. Where the pivot is, will affect how strong of a lifting force will need to be applied to lift the bale, but it won't affect the balance point of the wagon. If the balance point is behind the rear axel, then it's going to want to wheelie on you. I say again, the balance point is affected by where the weight (mass) is located, not by where the pivot supporting the mass is located. 
IF you are only trying to move one bale at a time, then I think something along the lines of a log arch would work pretty well.
VA-Sawyer

Robert R

Obviously, my physics ability isn't all that great.  Yes, I was thinking that having the hinge attachment be in front of the rear wheels would prevent the wheelie but reading your response, I see my lack of reasoning there.  I only plan on moving a single bale at a time so I might be alright.  I have seen many bale movers at auction with just two wheels and a tongue.  They have a spear out the back and a hand-crank winch to lift the bale but these seem to me like they would cause to much lift in the collars.  I saw one recently on a wagon like I was describing but I wasn't thinking of getting one at the time so I didn't pay enough attention to how it was made. 

Now an arch big enough to straddle a bale and move it might be an even better idea as it could also be used for logs.  Hmmm, that has me thinknig.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Furby

Propane tank trailer.
Might not be wide enough, but that is the design to look at.

bcraw98

We've got an old round bale hay mover that was built by my FFA class around 1978. We call it a tumble bug and it works by activating the electric brakes and backing up which causes it to pivot over the bale and a spike on an arm to flop even farther over. You then pull forward and the bale is lifted onto the tumble bug. Very little weight is on the hitch. If the brakes don't work, you can just block the wheels when you back up and then move the blocks in front of the tires when you pull forward. We haven't used it in years but it works great and I think something like it might work for your application. If your interested I'll get you some pictures.
Wife and best Friend, 3 girls and a boy, son-in-law, lots of land, horses, cows, and trees. Life is Good

Robert R

I would love pics, especially since I believe I may have seen something similar to what you are describing at an auction lately.  No one could figure out what it was or how it worked so it didn't get any bids.  I'm gonna be sick if it is the same thing!.  You can post here or e-mail to boxrnr@zcloud dot net. 
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

bcraw98

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them here tomorrow.
Wife and best Friend, 3 girls and a boy, son-in-law, lots of land, horses, cows, and trees. Life is Good

bcraw98

Engage electric brakes or block behind wheel

The above picture is either a loading or unloading pic. When loading it is right before the spike flops over. When unloading, stop before spike flops and the bale rolls off. Then just drive forward.

pull forward and as long as brakes are engaged or wheels blocked, the bale lifts on the tumblebug

To unload, engage brakes and back up

Our tumblebug has moved and fed thousands of 5 by 6 rolls of hay and gave very few problems. We haven't used it in recent years because of changing needs and equipment. It is real handy if you have a tractor to small to safely move the hay or just a 1/2 ton pickup.

You could move the axle a little forward to put even less weight on the tongue.

If it still looks like this may be of interest, I can help with measurements and materials needed.

Dan_Shade

that just gave me a whole new idea on urban log removal!

hah
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

VA-Sawyer

Would a team of horses be able to provide the push ( backing up ) to flop the axel for unloading ? Otherwise, I think that is a really neat device .
VA-Sawyer

Robert R

That would depend on how hard of a push it would take and the team.  Most horses don't like to back a load, some just flat won't.  I think mine would--it might take some convincing but they are pretty easy to persuade.

Wish you were closer, I'd love to borrow that bugger and see how it works.  It looks like the only drawback I can think of would be lining up the bales end to end for storage.  Is it difficult to get them tight?  However it does it would be better than what I have now which is dragging them on a sled into the general vicinity of each other (although it makes a great blind to hunt out of).  I also cannot take them down the road that way and I would like to get some round bales from further out and/or hire out shuttling them around for area farmers after they bale so they can concentrate on making more hay.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

bcraw98

My Dad was the main user of the tumblebug with his cows and he would stack his hay with a small space between bales. I always stack mine butted up tight. We could load the butted up bales, just not unload with them tight. I don't 'think' a team would have trouble backing it up, but I don't have experience with teams, just saddle horses.

beenthere

Clever rig for round bales.

Maybe a well-placed winch/cable could be used to fold and unfold the rig, to help load and unload.

As a kid, the farmer I worked for had a team, and getting them to back up 'carefully' was the problem. It was either full-bore backin up, or not at all.  ;D  But then, I don't think they cared for my lack of knowledge and they took a bit of advantage of me :). Then an older fellow came out from town and practically volunteered to take care of this team. He'd be out at 3 am every day working with them, and took over spreading all the daily manure chores. For a team that previously only worked once a year at threshing time, they were finally a well-worked pair. Did I say they didn't like 15 yr old kids  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!