iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

C5D tree farmer driveline

Started by pigpen, August 11, 2012, 10:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigpen

Hi again, went to grease my skidder this am and ran into all sorts of issues. was wondering if any one knows or could look at there C5 and tell me if my driveline is correct or not, the yokes on the driveshafts from the output shaft going to the back are off. So, in other words, imagine if you have a driveshaft with a slip yoke in it off of whatever and laying on the floor... the end yokes where the u-joint caps would be are 90 degrees off of both the short shaft between the front and back half of the skidder and the shaft behind that going to the rear end.  Any info on whether this is correct or if I should straighten them out so they are in line like I've always been told to do?  Thanks a bunch! will check back here when I return from getting a new u-joint from parts store. 

saltydog

Each section of driveshaft ,such as from front diff to power divider,should be lined up or the driveshaft wont rotate freely.you would feel it on a car or truck at higher speeds.You wont feel it on the machine but it will sure help wear out the u joints.Easy fix i would line um up.Might be why you need a u joint.My c5s are lined up.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

lumberjack48

Yes, they have to be lined up, check all the drive shafts.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

pigpen

That's what I thought but wasn't sure on equipment like this, sure appreciate the info, I will take it apart and straighten them out tomorrow am and with any luck be back pulling wood by noon. Thanks so much for the info. Thank you's and whatever sure don't seem like enough for experienced help! I know newer equipment better for this field of work if anyone needs help. Till you guys are better paid, Thank you again! back to work for me.    8)

lumberjack48

I learned the hard way, when their not lined up, i believe the term is they want to climb over each other or simply bind up.
The best of luck out there with the trees, always take that extra step
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

pigpen

well got the skidder back out there seems smoother but hard to tell. On another note, my winch will free spool sometimes perfect and other times not so good. When you go to put the winch in free spool, you must first winch in for just a second and then go to free(this is all the time). But now it sometimes wont free spool, and when this happens I just start over and rev it up just a bit and usually snaps out of it. I haven't checked for air in the lines yet but a bit confused on why it would work half the time and not the other half. When it doesn't work, it's just sticky, if you pull with the skidder it spools ok, but to hard to pull by hand. Any ideas on where to start? its a can car 20? Would also like to get a parts manual for the skidder and winch if any ideas where to find...

lumberjack48

I would bleed it, then slip it a little to clean the brake band and drum up. If that doesn't fix it, the master control might need new cups in it, its bleeding back and not holding the brake band fully released. Its something simple. The little slave cylinder on top the wench that pushes the rod down to release the brake band might be leaking back, theres a rubber cup in it, i got these parts from Napa or any parts store.

pigpen

Thanks for the info lj48! I have held the control half way or so and pulled it out while tied to a stump and slipped it a little with the same thinking in mind, but no change. I will try bleeding it next time I'm working it, then reply back with what I find. I will also try to remember to snap a couple pics of the old girl for whoever wants to gander at it. She ain't pretty, but she's paid for!  8)

lumberjack48

Thank You Sponsors!